Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Lion in Winter

<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 31 Dec 2011, 12:11

Re: The Lion in Winter

Amsterdam's very busy around this time of year too so I thought I was prepared.. But the crowds, especially in Oxford Street, my god.. I think I bought one or two things in the sale at Top Shop and that was it.

Oh yes, she definitely recognised me, that I'm sure of. And she was absolutely lovely the first night, I was the only one who got hugged and kissed so I won't complain. :wink: :lol:
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 31 Dec 2011, 15:14

Re: The Lion in Winter

Ha, no, that would be not nice, to complain after beeing huged and kissed by Joanna! :lmao:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 Jan 2012, 16:14

Re: The Lion in Winter

London is so tiring, I totally agree! It takes me about a week to recover! Hah
Chat soon :)
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 01 Jan 2012, 16:37

Re: The Lion in Winter

JackieO wrote:London is so tiring, I totally agree! It takes me about a week to recover! Hah
Chat soon :)


I'm glad I'm not the only one who think London is tiring. I always thought it was an age-thing, but if you all get tired, too, I'm so relieved... :wave:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 01 Jan 2012, 20:57

Re: The Lion in Winter

JackieO wrote:London is so tiring, I totally agree! It takes me about a week to recover! Hah
Chat soon :)


So glad to hear I'm not the only one. I would have loved to see the fireworks but I'm not totally unhappy to be back at home. The weather's just awful and everything would have been closed anyway - I felt deeply sorry for the tourists in Amsterdam today. :lol:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 01 Jan 2012, 21:07

Re: The Lion in Winter

By the way, did I mention that the three boys who played Henry and Eleanor were very, very handsome? Especially the eldest - I kind of bumped into him at the stage door and boy.. he's got lovely eyes :hearteyes:

Oh, and did anyone watch the movie adaption? I'm thinking of watching it tonight.
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 02 Jan 2012, 13:05

Re: The Lion in Winter

Mara wrote:By the way, did I mention that the three boys who played Henry and Eleanor were very, very handsome? Especially the eldest - I kind of bumped into him at the stage door and boy.. he's got lovely eyes :hearteyes:

Oh, and did anyone watch the movie adaption? I'm thinking of watching it tonight.


Oh yes, I think you mentioned the 3 boys, I am not sure, did I mention them as well? They are having a fag just before the play ends that's where I got to meet them a few times. Rory even got the honor to do the picture of Joanna and I, so I got to look a him a bit longer. Very handsome! :hearteyes:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 02 Jan 2012, 13:33

Re: The Lion in Winter

Oh you lucky thing. :wink: It's a very handsome cast if I may say so, even Robert Lindsay, despite his age, is very good looking. Not bad, Joanna. :lol:
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 03 Jan 2012, 09:23

Re: The Lion in Winter

Mara wrote:Oh you lucky thing. :wink: It's a very handsome cast if I may say so, even Robert Lindsay, despite his age, is very good looking. Not bad, Joanna. :lol:


Ha, no, not bad at all I would think. No wonder they kiss at the applause each evening, I totally understand why she's doing it! :lmao:
And the boys... :wub:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 03 Jan 2012, 12:18

Re: The Lion in Winter

Yes, they kissed too when I saw it - wonder why. She never did that with D H P and Rylance. Maybe they're quite good friends in real life? I wouldn't be surprised.
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 Jan 2012, 16:59

Re: The Lion in Winter

OMG I'm going to see the play in about 2 weeks' time!! I finally convinced my mum that we should go, though I haven't booked my ticket yet but I will do that in the coming days :grin: :hyper:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 04 Jan 2012, 10:03

Re: The Lion in Winter

Mara wrote:Yes, they kissed too when I saw it - wonder why. She never did that with D H P and Rylance. Maybe they're quite good friends in real life? I wouldn't be surprised.


Well, maybe they just get along very well together, I think they make a great pair on stage. I think it's pretty cute to be honest, that they do it each evening :wub:

Philippa wrote:OMG I'm going to see the play in about 2 weeks' time!! I finally convinced my mum that we should go, though I haven't booked my ticket yet but I will do that in the coming days :grin: :hyper:


Oh this is great news, I'm so happy for you. Your mom is a real trooper that she's going to see it with you (or am I wrong here?), anyway, I hope you'll be able to get great seats. :thumb:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 04 Jan 2012, 16:28

Re: The Lion in Winter

Oh she does kind of want to see it too (but mostly she wants to meet Joanna haha). We just weren't sure if we could manage to plan a trip time and money-wise, but we set a date and we'll probably fly out to London on the 15th :grin:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 05 Jan 2012, 15:57

Re: The Lion in Winter

Philippa wrote:Oh she does kind of want to see it too (but mostly she wants to meet Joanna haha). We just weren't sure if we could manage to plan a trip time and money-wise, but we set a date and we'll probably fly out to London on the 15th :grin:


Oh this is wonderful, really. So Joanna got another fan there coming to see her! My mom doesn't speak English, so I had no fun watching anything Joanna-related with her, she wouldn't understand it :no: but of course my mom's much older than yours. I can't wait to read your report after your return :hyper:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 06 Jan 2012, 14:29

Re: The Lion in Winter

I just booked our tickets. We'll be going on January 16 :hyper:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 07 Jan 2012, 10:02

Re: The Lion in Winter

Philippa wrote:I just booked our tickets. We'll be going on January 16 :hyper:


YES, this is superb. :cheer: Where are you going to sit?
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 08 Jan 2012, 22:26

Re: The Lion in Winter

By the way, this only just occurred to me but I think that, after seeing TLIW, it's safe to say that Joanna really can't sing. The girl (who played her daughter) sang beautifully in the play and Jo did her best but I struggled to stop myself from bursting out in laughter. It reminded me so much of Comic Relief that I actually had to bite my lip.. (v pathetic, I know)

:lol:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Jan 2012, 12:04

Re: The Lion in Winter

LunaFive wrote:
Philippa wrote:I just booked our tickets. We'll be going on January 16 :hyper:


YES, this is superb. :cheer: Where are you going to sit?


Upper circle, row C. I had a look at stalls and royal circle, but in both we would have to sit very far back, and for me those prices aren't worth it if I can't sit somewhere in front. And row C is pretty decent and ticket prices are ok. I saw La Bete twice in front row already, so I didn't feel that same urge to sit very close to the stage this time.
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 09 Jan 2012, 18:18

Re: The Lion in Winter

Philippa wrote:Upper circle, row C. I had a look at stalls and royal circle, but in both we would have to sit very far back, and for me those prices aren't worth it if I can't sit somewhere in front. And row C is pretty decent and ticket prices are ok. I saw La Bete twice in front row already, so I didn't feel that same urge to sit very close to the stage this time.



Oh I see, well I am sure the upper circle is fine, too, especially if the prices are okay. If you have to buy 2 tickets it's definately worth looking at a good price. I am sure you'll love the play as much as I did.

Mara wrote:By the way, this only just occurred to me but I think that, after seeing TLIW, it's safe to say that Joanna really can't sing. The girl (who played her daughter) sang beautifully in the play and Jo did her best but I struggled to stop myself from bursting out in laughter. It reminded me so much of Comic Relief that I actually ahd to bite my lip.. (v pathetic, I know)
[/quote][/quote]

Ha yes, I noticed that too, she sang very quietly I think and tried her best but I am sure she felt pretty uncompfortable in doing so.
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Heleno

User avatar

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Posts: 145

Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 11:27

Location: London, UK.

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 Jan 2012, 02:29

Re: The Lion in Winter

I really, really, really need to get tickets to see this! I'm planning a visit to Oxford Circus during the week, (a spot of sale shopping is well overdue :thumb:) so maybe I can cut through to the Haymarket and buy myself some tickets then. :grin:

It's at times like these that I wish I had a credit/debit card, my life would be made so much easier if I could buy things online. Ho hum! There's no use complaining!

I really hope you had a good time Philippa! Although I'm sure you did. :happy:

Oh and guys, I was wondering if I could ask your opinion on something. I'm planning on going to see the play on my own, probably during the afternoon showing; do you think I'd look a bit odd being there all on my lonesome? I only ask because I'm a tad anxious (read: paranoid) when it comes to social situations such as this; I always think that people see me as weird/out of place. I'd probably be better of going with someone, but unfortunately none of my friends/family are in to theatre. :no: Maybe I should consider bribing someone into going with me! :lmao:
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 18 Jan 2012, 06:48

Re: The Lion in Winter

Heleno wrote:I really, really, really need to get tickets to see this! I'm planning a visit to Oxford Circus during the week, (a spot of sale shopping is well overdue :thumb:) so maybe I can cut through to the Haymarket and buy myself some tickets then. :grin:

It's at times like these that I wish I had a credit/debit card, my life would be made so much easier if I could buy things online. Ho hum! There's no use complaining!

I really hope you had a good time Philippa! Although I'm sure you did. :happy:

Oh and guys, I was wondering if I could ask your opinion on something. I'm planning on going to see the play on my own, probably during the afternoon showing; do you think I'd look a bit odd being there all on my lonesome? I only ask because I'm a tad anxious (read: paranoid) when it comes to social situations such as this; I always think that people see me as weird/out of place. I'd probably be better of going with someone, but unfortunately none of my friends/family are in to theatre. :no: Maybe I should consider bribing someone into going with me! :lmao:


Hi Helen,
no, I don't think it would be odd if you would go to the theatre alone. I did so many times (and yep, also to see Lion in Winter since I didn't find anyone to travel to London with me I had to go alone) and believe me, you won't regret it if you go alone. I noticed that I was not the only person who was going to the theatre alone, so you don't need to worry. And since English is your mother language there's even less to worry (if at all) since you would be able to talk to people without any problems (not like me, if I'm excited or so I sometimes forget a lot of words, :lmao: , and seeing Joanna in a play does make me excited). Anyway, take your chance, go see the play, it's so worth it, you won't regret it - and then don't forget to go to the stage door to meet Joanna. There are usually ALWAYS some people there, so you won't feel alone either and if you have never met Joanna before, here's your chance. She's so lovely, she'll make you feel very welcome. :wub:
I hope that helps! :hug:


PS: If you feel insecure, just buy the programme, sit down and read it, nobody will notice that you're on your own :wink:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 18 Jan 2012, 10:51

Re: The Lion in Winter

Heleno wrote:Oh and guys, I was wondering if I could ask your opinion on something. I'm planning on going to see the play on my own, probably during the afternoon showing; do you think I'd look a bit odd being there all on my lonesome? I only ask because I'm a tad anxious (read: paranoid) when it comes to social situations such as this; I always think that people see me as weird/out of place. I'd probably be better of going with someone, but unfortunately none of my friends/family are in to theatre. :no: Maybe I should consider bribing someone into going with me! :lmao:


I don't usually go to the theatre alone either but I didn't think it was much of a problem at all. I had a lovely chat with the people next to me during the interval and just sat there and enjoyed myself, really. I had bought a programme so I just read that, studied the theatre, ect. As far as I'm concerned, nobody looked at me strangely, wondering what I was doing there all alone.

Heck, if I lived in London I probably would have seen it a thousand times already. :wink:
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 18 Jan 2012, 11:11

Re: The Lion in Winter

Mara wrote:Heck, if I lived in London I probably would have seen it a thousand times already. :wink:



Me too, definately! :wink:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Heleno

User avatar

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Posts: 145

Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 11:27

Location: London, UK.

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Jan 2012, 04:06

Re: The Lion in Winter

Thanks for the reassurances guys, it really is appreciated. I know my fretfulness might seem entirely silly but my brain works in utterly unfathomable ways (I'm diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder.) No flattery intended here, but I have to say -- you really are a lovely bunch here! I've felt nothing but completely at ease amongst you; the fact that you've welcomed me so warmly into your community really means a lot to me. :blush: ^^

Anyway, that's enough mushy talk I think. Let's get back to the matter in hand, shall we Helen? I think you'll all be pleased to know that -- thanks in part to your rousing words -- I returned home today with a ticket for Thursday's matinee performance. :dance:

I can't even begin to tell you how ridiculously excited I am! OK, well maybe I can begin to tell you...I'm very, very, very, very excited! I'm nervous too, but mostly excited. I could only afford gallery tickets, and I'm right at the back (row G) but actually I don't care! In fact, I think there are quite a few advantages to being seated in what is technically the worst seat available; I won't have to worry about what the back of my head looks like to the person sitting behind me for one thing, and I'll also be guaranteed a decent leg workout (there's 57 steps leading up to the gallery, times that by a definite two to account for entry and exit, plus -- taking into account the lack of toilet facilities on the gallery level -- however many steps I have to hike up and down during my likely interval bathroom-break and you've got a hell of a lot of steps!) But none of this matters in the slightest because I have tickets to see The Lion in Winter which means I'm going to see the beautiful Joanna live in the flesh! :wub:

Gah! I'm so happy right now! I'm going to shut up now because I'm babbling quite extensively! I'm haemorrhaging babble! Someone call a doctor! :lmao:

Oh I've got one more thing to add before I bring an end to this post and I direct this at you LunaFive: I will most definitely buy a programme, it will serve as both a distraction (from overwhelming paranoia, not the play) and a wonderful souvenir; plus I think it'll be more than an adequate scratch-pad for Miss Lumley to make her mark upon. :thumb: I asked the bloke who booked my ticket where the stage door was, so that I would know on the night. Hopefully I'll have the guts to journey there on Thursday after the curtain falls; meeting Joanna really would be the icing on an already marvellous cake! ^^

Thank you both, once again, for spurring me on to do this. It's no exaggeration to say that I couldn't of done it without you.
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 21 Jan 2012, 12:29

Re: The Lion in Winter

Haha aw, Helen I'm so happy for you. Seeing Joanna live for the first time is really the best - it's been 1,5 years for me now but I still remember that particular moment (and I think Philippa does, too) Heck, when she entered the stage in The Lion In Winter my heart still jumped up a little. Seeing someone that you've adored for such a long time in the flesh is really special, there's no other way of putting it.

I hope you'll enjoy the play Thursday (sure you will!) and don't forget to tell us all about it. :wink:
PreviousNext

Return to Other

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred