Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Lion in Winter

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Jan 2012, 15:08

Re: The Lion in Winter

LunaFive wrote:
Mara wrote:Heck, if I lived in London I probably would have seen it a thousand times already. :wink:

Me too, definately! :wink:

And me! :grin:

And Helen, I'm so glad that you've got a ticket to the show. I'm sure you'll adore it, and seeing your idol performing live in front of you for the first time really is amazing :squee:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Jan 2012, 17:17

Heleno wrote:Oh I've got one more thing to add before I bring an end to this post and I direct this at you LunaFive: I will most definitely buy a programme, it will serve as both a distraction (from overwhelming paranoia, not the play) and a wonderful souvenir; plus I think it'll be more than an adequate scratch-pad for Miss Lumley to make her mark upon. :thumb: I asked the bloke who booked my ticket where the stage door was, so that I would know on the night. Hopefully I'll have the guts to journey there on Thursday after the curtain falls; meeting Joanna really would be the icing on an already marvellous cake! ^^

Thank you both, once again, for spurring me on to do this. It's no exaggeration to say that I couldn't of done it without you.

I'm really glad you got your ticket and I am sure you will love the play - no matter where you sit :wub: And don't worry, you'll probably not the only one who will be at the stage door after the performance which is great because than someone else can take a photo of Joanna and you after she signed your programme. Don't you worry about beeing excited - I'm always so excited that I won't eat nearly the whole day so I know what you're talking about - and once you see Joanna she'll make you feel at ease and you'll be fine. Just don't forget to take your camera - there's always someone there to take a photo - Joanna made "Prince Philipp" take the photo for me and you sure don't want to miss that opportunity :thumb:
So don't you worry, just go there, buy the programme, sit back, relax and enjoy yourself! :hug:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 21 Jan 2012, 23:47

Aw you guys are just too awesome! :grouphug: (That's me hugging all of you, I'm not too sure which one I am, they're all kind of identical. I think I'm the second one in from the left.)

I'm already planning what I'm going to wear! I kind of have the urge to look my best for Jo. :wub: I have tonnes of semi-casual dresses that would be perfect for the occasion, but as I don't have a nice warm coat to wear with them (this was the item I was supposed to buy when I went to the sales, as mentioned in 'The Lastest Buy' thread) I'd be freezing my arse off. Do you think it'd be OK if I wore jeans? I know it's a bit casual, but I am going to the matinee rather than the evening performance; the former being a more relaxed occasion than the latter. I'm thinking of topping it off with a lovely yellow jumper I bought in the sales, along with the boots I mentioned in 'The Latest Buy' thread and a smart-ish jacket. Too casual?

Am I planning this in intricate detail? Yes. Is it a bit insane? Yes. Should I shut up now? For the love of Mike, yes!

Oh and LunaFive (can I call you Britta? I feel like a bit of an idiot typing out your username when I in fact know you're real name. Not because I'm a stalker, I hasten to add, merely because everyone else here seems to call you by your name...which they know...as do I. I'm closing these brackets now! :grin:) as much as I would love to have my picture taken with Jo, I can't stand the sight of my own sickeningly ugly dog-face, so I most definitely will not be bringing my camera! No. The only way I would ever have my picture taken (with Jo or at all) would be with a paper bag over my head, which would sort of defeat the object of the whole process. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Jan 2012, 23:53

I don't think jeans are too casual at all, especially when you pair them up with nice boots etc. I know people like to dress up when they go to the theatre, but as long as you're not looking too shabby I think it's absolutely fine :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 22 Jan 2012, 01:38

Yeah, I think it'll be fine. I'm just being pernickety, as per usual! As long as I don't turn up dressed in a bin bag and smelling strongly of whiskey I don't think anybody'll mind what I'm wearing. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 22 Jan 2012, 12:06

How people dress when they go to the theatre is still something that highly confuses me, haha. In England, it doesn't seem to matter what you wear because none cares really. I've seen people in jeans and t-shirts and dresses and skirts, I even spotted people in the LIW audience who didn't take off their coats! That's a no-go in the Netherlands, where going to the theatre requires fancy, proper clothing. So I wouldn't worry about it too much - I wore knitted Uggs (because the zip of my leather boots died on the first day in London) and none seemed to notice. :lol:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Jan 2012, 19:36

Heleno wrote:Oh and LunaFive (can I call you Britta? I feel like a bit of an idiot typing out your username when I in fact know you're real name. Not because I'm a stalker, I hasten to add, merely because everyone else here seems to call you by your name...which they know...as do I. I'm closing these brackets now! :grin:) as much as I would love to have my picture taken with Jo, I can't stand the sight of my own sickeningly ugly dog-face, so I most definitely will not be bringing my camera! No. The only way I would ever have my picture taken (with Jo or at all) would be with a paper bag over my head, which would sort of defeat the object of the whole process. :grin:

Ha, I'm glad you found something to wear! I wore black jeans, too, but those looked a bit more like a "good trouser" if you know what I mean, you couldn't make them out as a jeans. No way I would have worn my best suit trousers because they only have tiny pockets (and I would need them for my money etc.) and they are too thin, so I think I can agree with Maartje, you'll be fine with your jeans there. I also saw people coming in a t-shirt, something I wouldn't consider myself but hey!

Sure you can call me Britta, everyone here does. If I could remember all names connected to the avatar names I would do it, too, but with my memory I'm lost on most names that's why I only use a few real name here (so everyone who's not addressed from me with their real name, please forgive me, I guess it's an age thing :lolol: ). But to come back to your picture with Joanna, why not? I mean, if I took my picture with Jo, than you can, too! Maybe you can see it that way: you might want to look back at the moment you met her to be sure it wasn't a dream :wink: and that way you could bring back your happy memories any time. Just a thought. I for myself am glad to have my picture taken because sometimes in these moments time flies like a blink of an eye and you might not be able to "get it all in" properly. At least that's what's happened to me whenI first met Joanna in 2010. Anyway, whatever you'll do, enjoy your trip to the theatre and make sure to give us a full report here as we're waiting to here how you liked the play and how your meeting with Joanna went :wave:
:hug:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 23 Jan 2012, 12:46

Oh I agree with Britta, please do try and take a picture with her. The lost photo of me and Jo is quite horrible too (no joking here) but I will definitely not delete it, as I do cherish the memory of that evening. :yes:

On a side note, I wish I could see it again this Thursday! I've just finished a novel on Eleanor and Henry and I'm longing to see the play again now, just so I can compare. I read the script again to the other day, would there be a more difficult couple? I don't think so. :lol:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Jan 2012, 14:08

Mara wrote:Oh I agree with Britta, please do try and take a picture with her. The lost photo of me and Jo is quite horribly too (no joking here) but I will definitely not delete it, as I do cherish the memory of that evening. :yes:

On a side note, I wish I could see it again this Thursday! I've just finished a novel on Eleanor and Henry and I'm longing to see the play again now, just so I can compare. I read the script again to the other day, would there be a more difficult couple? I don't think so. :lol:

Same here, I wish I could see the play again, too.

And Helen, about the photo I had one taken with Robert but once the stage manager managed to operate my camera, he closed his eyes :crybaby: but I still won't delete this photo as that's another moment I cherish as Robert was very friendly and charismatic, too :wub:
So _take_your_camera_ :wave:
<<

Philippa

Post 23 Jan 2012, 14:43

I want to see the play again, too, so badly! I feel like I've forgotten most of it already, and I really wish they would release it on DVD (they should do this for more plays in my opinion).

And I agree with the girls Helen, bring your camera! :yes:

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 24 Jan 2012, 07:16

Philippa wrote:I want to see the play again, too, so badly! I feel like I've forgotten most of it already, and I really wish they would release it on DVD (they should do this for more plays in my opinion).

And I agree with the girls Helen, bring your camera! :yes:

Oh yes, a DVD would be perfect. Although I still remember some moments, I wish I could remember it all. And I agree with you, they should bring more plays on DVD (like La Bête, for example :wave: )
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 24 Jan 2012, 16:02

Mara wrote:How people dress when they go to the theatre is still something that highly confuses me, haha. In England, it doesn't seem to matter what you wear because none cares really. I've seen people in jeans and t-shirts and dresses and skirts, I even spotted people in the LIW audience who didn't take off their coats! That's a no-go in the Netherlands, where going to the theatre requires fancy, proper clothing. So I wouldn't worry about it too much - I wore knitted Uggs (because the zip of my leather boots died on the first day in London) and none seemed to notice. :lol:

It used to be that way here too; the theatre was a very formal place, if you went to see a play you dressed up for it. It's only very recently -- I'd say in the past ten years -- that people have become a whole lot more relaxed about the entire thing.

LunaFive wrote:Ha, I'm glad you found something to wear! I wore black jeans, too, but those looked a bit more like a "good trouser" if you know what I mean, you couldn't make them out as a jeans. No way I would have worn my best suit trousers because they only have tiny pockets (and I would need them for my money etc.) and they are too thin, so I think I can agree with Maartje, you'll be fine with your jeans there. I also saw people coming in a t-shirt, something I wouldn't consider myself but hey!

I'm glad to hear I won't look out of place. :yes:

I'd like to stress that despite what my cluelessness might indicate, I have been to the theatre before, just never to see a play. I've seen musicals, hell I think I've seen every single music there is to see in London, but I've never seen a proper play. Oh, tell a lie -- I saw a theatrical production of Roald Dahl's 'The Twits' when I was eight; it was really rather good. :lolol:

LunaFive wrote:Sure you can call me Britta, everyone here does. If I could remember all names connected to the avatar names I would do it, too, but with my memory I'm lost on most names that's why I only use a few real name here (so everyone who's not addressed from me with their real name, please forgive me, I guess it's an age thing :lolol: ).

Aw thank you very much, I feel like a true part of the family now! :grin:

LunaFive wrote:And Helen, about the photo I had one taken with Robert but once the stage manager managed to operate my camera, he closed his eyes :crybaby: but I still won't delete this photo as that's another moment I cherish as Robert was very friendly and charismatic, too :wub:

Aw, no way! I'm so sorry Britta. :hug: But still, a photo with a closed-eyed Robert Lindsey is better than no photo of Robert Lindsey at all, right? :yes:

LunaFive wrote:But to come back to your picture with Joanna, why not? I mean, if I took my picture with Jo, than you can, too! Maybe you can see it that way: you might want to look back at the moment you met her to be sure it wasn't a dream :wink: and that way you could bring back your happy memories any time. Just a thought. I for myself am glad to have my picture taken because sometimes in these moments time flies like a blink of an eye and you might not be able to "get it all in" properly. At least that's what's happened to me whenI first met Joanna in 2010.
:hug:

Mara wrote:Oh I agree with Britta, please do try and take a picture with her. The lost photo of me and Jo is quite horrible too (no joking here) but I will definitely not delete it, as I do cherish the memory of that evening. :yes:

Philippa wrote:And I agree with the girls Helen, bring your camera!

I completely understand and agree with everything you guys have pointed out, but I just feel that I'd never look at the photo due to the fact that I'm in it; the whole act would be in vain. Besides, I think I'll just about manage to get the guts to ask Jo to sign my programme, psyching myself up to ask her for a photo might result in my heart bursting from my chest and legging it down the street in fear of it's own well-being. I don't think I need to point out to you all that that's not good! I need my heart, people!

Nevertheless, after much thought and consideration (read: as of a split second ago) I have decided that I will bring my camera on Thursday. Now, it's highly unlikely that I will return home with a picture of myself and Jo on my memory card but I will take it just in case; you never know, I might find myself feeling confident enough to ask her.

LunaFive wrote:Anyway, whatever you'll do, enjoy your trip to the theatre and make sure to give us a full report here as we're waiting to here how you liked the play and how your meeting with Joanna went :wave:

Aw thank you Britta! :hug: I'm sure I'll have a great time. I can't wait, only two days now! :hyper:

P.S. I agree, a dvd release would be marvellous. I'm sure I'll love the play and want to see it again; it's kind of sad knowing that I won't be able to. :no:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 25 Jan 2012, 11:11

I'm glad you finally decided to take your camera, now all we need it to do to work on you that you will also USE it :lmao: but it's still 1 1/2 days time for that. Whatever you decide, just enjoy it! I am sure you will have a wonderful day, we'll be thinking of you tomorrow :hyper:
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 26 Jan 2012, 23:37

OK so I got back a few hours ago and my heart-rate still hasn't returned to normal. :hyper:

I almost missed the start of the play, despite reaching the the Piccadilly Circus area two hours early due to the fact that a very nice chap (who sadly was lacking something in the upstairs department) started chatting to me outside the theatre as I was having a quick cigarette. This happens to me a lot, it's probably due to the fact that I'm lacking something in the upstairs too! It must show in my eyes or something; fellow nutters must recognise it and conclude that as we share a connection of sorts, it's absolutely fine to start chatting away with me as if we're bosom pals. I actually don't mind, in fact I probably feel more comfortable talking with a crazy person than I do conversing with the 'normal' population! Anyway, back to the story; the play started at 2.30pm and at 2.25pm I was still outside trying to politely ditch this man, just then a lady approached me and asked whether I wanted a ticket to see the play; it turned out she had been stood up by a friend and didn't want the spare ticket to go to waste. I explained that I already had a ticket and was just about to go inside, but as the man I'd been speaking to had previously expressed interest in seeing the play during our conversation, I suggested that the he take the ticket instead, which he did. Feeling rather good about myself I legged it up the stairs to the gallery; I bought a programme and had just about managed to take of my jacket and sit down when the lights dimmed.

What a play! I loved every minute of it! A cracking tale of the art of deception, the danger of treachery and of course the thirst for power, with a few brilliant one-liners thrown in! Loved it. I couldn't have wished for a better seat; I could see and hear everything perfectly, plus I had the entire bench to myself so I could really spread out, relax and enjoy the show. And when everyone took their final bow I could clap as enthusiastically as I liked without worrying that the people sitting next to me would think me insane. :grin:

Now comes the best part of all; meeting Joanna. :hearteyes:

Oh it was marvellous! I might have been the last one in the theatre but I was definitely the first one out; frightened I would miss I practically ran out of the building and around the corner to get to the stage door. It's a good job I didn't waste any time too because she was out on the street just ten minutes after I arrived! Had I gone to the bathroom or got stuck on the stairs I might've missed her! Anyway, I hung around on the opposite side of the street and waited until the crowd around her had cleared before approaching her, programme in hand. Now, before I go on any further I must point out that I am an extremely nervous individual who can get flustered in the most ordinary situations; put me in a situation that is as far removed from normal as can possibly be (i.e. meeting a woman whom I adore and idolise to a ridiculous degree) and I basically turn to jelly. I say jelly and not stone because I don't freeze, I wobble, I wobble in every possible way, shape and form. I was already shivering from the ridiculous level of cold we're having in London at the moment, but when I stepped up to Jo the shivering basically turned into a seizure of sorts and the chattering of my teeth became audible. And it's because of this that the first words I spoke to Miss Joanna Lumley were; "Hi. Ummmmm...I w-w-was um w-w-wondering um wh-wh-whether you um w-w-would ssssssss..."

The 's' went on for a rather long time. After about ten seconds I gave up on trying to say the word 'sign', buried my head in my hands and wished with all my might that the ground would open up and swallow me whole. However, Jo was very good with me; with a heart-felt and sympathetic "Awwww, sweetie!" she took my programme and upcapped her pen. When she asked for my name (I later discovered that I was the only one to have received a personalised autograph out of the ten or so people who had waited outside the stage door, which made me feel very special indeed!) I replied "Helen" in a voice about twenty octaves beyond my range. By this point I was already feeling completely overwhelmed by the situation, so when she handed me back my programme and practically whispered in that incredible soft voice of hers, "There you go, my little one," I almost died.

Joanna Lumley called me her little one. :wub:

I finally found my voice as I walked away from her to return to my quiet spot on the opposite side of the street, telling her that she had been marvellous on-stage. She smiled, thanked me, then got into a little smart-car and was driven away. I was so overwhelmed, so relieved and so utterly happy at this point that I couldn't help but cry. Today has been a good day, the best day! And so concludes this post. :happy:

P.S. I'm sorry for the length of this saga, but really there was so much to say and you are the only people on Earth who I can say all of this to and have you understand and appreciate it. I'm shutting up now. :grin: :wave: :zip:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 26 Jan 2012, 23:46

Heleno wrote:I was already shivering from the ridiculous level of cold we're having in London at the moment, but when I stepped up to Jo the shivering basically turned into a seizure of sorts and the chattering of my teeth became audible. And it's because of this that the first words I spoke to Miss Joanna Lumley were; "Hi. Ummmmm...I w-w-was um w-w-wondering um wh-wh-whether you um w-w-would ssssssss..."

Forgive me for saying this but... you are such a cutie, haha! I read your story grinning like a Cheshire cat - I'm so glad you got to meet her, especially since you told us how nervous you were. A personal autograph is so much nicer than the odd scrabble she'd give to anyone, she must have liked you. :thumb:

I'm also very glad that you enjoyed the play: did you feel comfortable at all during the break? Boy, sometimes I wish I'd smoke; it's such a great excuse to escape from an awkward situation or to get some ''fresh'' air, haha. :wink: I'm very happy for you!
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 27 Jan 2012, 00:32

Mara wrote:Forgive me for saying this but you are such a cutie!

Ah, but that's exactly what I want you to think. The plan, it is coming together. Mwahahahaha! :brows:

Seriously though, you wouldn't find it cute being me. I'm basically a walking, talking, blundering buffoon! :grin:

Mara wrote:I read your story grinning like a Cheshire cat - I'm so glad you got to meet her, especially since you told us how nervous you were. A personal autograph is so much nicer than the odd scrabble she'd give to anyone, I'm sure she liked you. :thumb:

I honestly didn't think I'd be able to do it; when she came out I almost legged it! So I'm sort of proud of myself for going for it, even if it was a bit of a disaster. :blush:

What's great about the whole personal autograph thing is that I didn't even ask for it, she asked me! :grin: I really hope she liked me, but at the very least I hope she didn't think I was a complete weirdo! :lol:

Mara wrote:I'm also very glad that you enjoyed the play: did you feel comfortable at all during the break? Boy, sometimes I wish I'd smoke; it's such a great excuse to escape from an awkward situation or to get some ''fresh'' air, haha. :wink: I'm very happy for you!

I was fine during the break actually! That's mainly because I spent the majority of the interval journeying to the loo and back, so I didn't have to spend much time just sitting around working myself up into a paranoid-fluster. But actually, I think if I had had to sit in my seat for the ten/fifteen minute break I would've been fine. Everyone in my section seemed really nice, actually I think there must be a senior-citizen discount or something because I don't think I saw a single person under 50 sitting in the gallery. When the usher (who was very, very nice by the way and was probably responsible for putting me in such a relaxed mood by being really chatty and jovial toward me) showed me to my seat he joked, 'Wow. You're too young to be here!' :lmao: Anyway, my point is it's kind of hard to be paranoid around old people! :grin:

Oh and as for smoking, the only reason I started smoking 20 fags a day is because a cigarette break gave me an excuse to be let outside when I was in hospital a few years back. Not your run of the mill hospital I hasten to add, a mental health hospital I 'stayed at' (read: was forced to stay at) for a year when I was 13. What? Don't act so surprised! You all knew I was a nutter! :tongue:

Seriously though, I'm not a nutter and smoking -- didn't you hear? -- it's not cool! I've only been smoking (I mean properly, I actually smoked my first cigarette when I was eight) for four years and it's already affecting my health. I'm actually giving up at the start of the next month; me and my mum are doing together as a New Year thing so, you know, if I start to get a bit tetchy don't blame me, blame the lack of nicotine! :thumb: :grin:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 27 Jan 2012, 00:57

Aww, Helen, that was an incredibly touching story. :hug: Especially since I can relate to being shy--the few times I've met famous people, I've been incredibly nervous. So glad you had a lovely time, and good luck trying to quit smoking. :yes:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 27 Jan 2012, 07:03

I'm really glad you finally managed to meet Joanna - didn't I tell you that she's lovely and will make you feel at ease? At least she does it for me and I am nervous as hell when I'm meeting someone like her - especially if I have to talk in English! And that you got a personalized autograph is great! That's something special to cherish! :dance:

I'm also happy that you liked the play - I wish I could have seen it again, I just loved it. The moment when she slamms the tray with the weapons for example... anyway, I think it's great that you finally got to meet her. I had to laugh about you beeing the last one in the theatre but the first one out! It really would have been a shame if you had missed her just because you were unable to get out quick enough. I noticed too, that Joanna had been out only about 10 minutes after the play ended.

thanks for sharing your story with us! :hug:
<<

Philippa

Post 27 Jan 2012, 08:49

Aw Jo is so sweet. I'm really happy that you got to see the play, and that you got to meet her as well afterwards! Jo is so good at putting people at ease, it's one of her many talents. Thank you for sharing your story with us Helen! :hug:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 27 Jan 2012, 20:17

Heleno wrote:When the usher (who was very, very nice by the way and was probably responsible for putting me in such a relaxed mood by being really chatty and jovial toward me) showed me to my seat he joked, 'Wow. You're too young to be here!' :lmao: Anyway, my point is it's kind of hard to be paranoid around old people! :grin:

Haha! When I was there, I was actually suprised by how many youngsters there were in the audience. I still don't understand why our generation doesn't go to the theatre much - I've seen a lot of plays in the Netherlands as well and I love it (so much better than going to the movies, for instance)

Heleno wrote:Seriously though, I'm not a nutter and smoking -- didn't you hear? -- it's not cool! I've only been smoking (I mean properly, I actually smoked my first cigarette when I was eight) for four years and it's already affecting my health. I'm actually giving up at the start of the next month; me and my mum are doing together as a New Year thing so, you know, if I start to get a bit tetchy don't blame me, blame the lack of nicotine! :thumb: :grin:

Don't worry about it - smoking or not, nutter or not: we're all here because we love Joanna and that's what counts :wink: (I don't think you're a nutter by the way) I hope you'll manage to quit smoking this year though!
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 27 Jan 2012, 22:25

Oh guys, it was my absolute pleasure sharing my story with you, you know why? Well, because as mushy as this is going to sound, if it hadn't been for you lot I probably wouldn't have had the confidence to go! Oh I would've said I'd go and I might've bought tickets, but I know I would've backed out at the last minute. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have seen the play and I most definitely wouldn't have met Jo. So thank you! Thank you so much! :grouphug:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Aww, Helen, that was an incredibly touching story. :hug: Especially since I can relate to being shy--the few times I've met famous people, I've been incredibly nervous. So glad you had a lovely time, and good luck trying to quit smoking. :yes:

Aw, I'm glad I've got someone to relate to. :hug: People don't understand that it can actually be very frustrating being a shy/nervous type of person. There's so much you want to do, but the when you actually think about it in detail you end up saying, 'No, actually I can't do that. I don't have the guts.' But actually, the thing is you can! It may take a lot of preparation (practical and mental), but if you put enough effort into it, then you can totally do it! ^^

Thank you for the luck by the way, I'm definitely going to need it! :lol:

LunaFive wrote:I'm really glad you finally managed to meet Joanna - didn't I tell you that she's lovely and will make you feel at ease? At least she does it for me and I am nervous as hell when I'm meeting someone like her - especially if I have to talk in English! And that you got a personalized autograph is great! That's something special to cherish! :dance:

Philippa wrote:Aw Jo is so sweet. I'm really happy that you got to see the play, and that you got to meet her as well afterwards! Jo is so good at putting people at ease, it's one of her many talents.

She was ridiculously lovely, amazingly sweet and so very understanding. She didn't make me feel like an idiot for completely forgetting how to speak; she was kind and gentle with me and even made the effort to say a few words to me even though she knew she wasn't going to get anything back. :wub:

LunaFive wrote:I'm also happy that you liked the play - I wish I could have seen it again, I just loved it. The moment when she slamms the tray with the weapons for example... anyway, I think it's great that you finally got to meet her. I had to laugh about you beeing the last one in the theatre but the first one out! It really would have been a shame if you had missed her just because you were unable to get out quick enough. I noticed too, that Joanna had been out only about 10 minutes after the play ended.

Oh I know! It's been a little over 24 hours and I already want to see it all over again! :grin: And you're so right; I would've been devastated if I'd missed her, luckily I took no chances. She was out so quickly; she must get changed lightening-fast! :lol:

Mara wrote:Haha! When I was there, I was actually suprised by how many youngsters there were in the audience. I still don't understand why our generation doesn't go to the theatre much - I've seen a lot of plays in the Netherlands as well and I love it (so much better than going to the movies, for instance)

I think had I gone to the evening performance there would've been more young people there. :yes: Most people are sort of busy during the afternoon; going to work/school and whatnot, which leaves me (the unemployed, non-college goer) and the old-folk to enjoy the matinee! :grin:

Mara wrote:Don't worry about it - smoking or not, nutter or not: we're all here because we love Joanna and that's what counts :wink: (I don't think you're a nutter by the way) I hope you'll manage to quit smoking this year though!

Aw, I'm glad you don't think I'm a nutter. :hug: I didn't you did by the way, it's just, well, I'm British -- we tend to take the piss out of everything, including ourselves. :thumb: :grin:

As for quiting smoking; I hope I do it to. I think I will, I've given up quite a few things that I relied heavily upon in the past so there's no reason I can't give up cigarettes. Although, I think you'll be seeing a hell of a lot of be over in the 'Random moaning/ranting thread as of Wednesday! :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 27 Jan 2012, 23:09

Heleno wrote:Aw, I'm glad I've got someone to relate to. :hug: People don't understand that it can actually be very frustrating being a shy/nervous type of person. There's so much you want to do, but the when you actually think about it in detail you end up saying, 'No, actually I can't do that. I don't have the guts.' But actually, the thing is you can! It may take a lot of preparation (practical and mental), but if you put enough effort into it, then you can totally do it! ^^

Thank you for the luck by the way, I'm definitely going to need it! :lol:

Oh, yes, I get you completely, dear. :hug: I'm an introvert, and I really have to be in the mood to start randomly talking to people I don't know, so when it's a celebrity, that just makes things worse. :hypnose: But the important thing is to go for it anyway--they meet so many people, the chances of them remembering you if you make an idiot of yourself are pretty low. :lol: But luckily all the ones I've met have been very sweet. :yes:

Anyway, very glad you had such a good time, and we'll all be pulling for you when you start going though withdrawal. :hug:
<<

joannelou

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 27 Jan 2012, 23:47

Aw Helen your story is so sweet! My hearts warmed haha.

I know what you mean about being nervous, it can be really annoying. I was/am exactly the same & I was debating whether or not to even go to the stage door & even then I hung back in the background a bit but she sweetly made sure she signed for everyone. I'm so pleased you had a great experience, it's really lovely reading all about it.
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Jan 2012, 00:39

I just can't believe that the last performance is tomorrow already :no:

<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 29 Jan 2012, 02:14

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Oh, yes, I get you completely, dear. :hug: I'm an introvert, and I really have to be in the mood to start randomly talking to people I don't know, so when it's a celebrity, that just makes things worse. :hypnose: But the important thing is to go for it anyway--they meet so many people, the chances of them remembering you if you make an idiot of yourself are pretty low. :lol:

That is so very true; it's basically my life's mantra, and not just when dealing with celebrities! 'Don't worry Helen. Yes, you just asked that man for the Timex instead of the time and made yourself look like a complete fool, but this is London! He'll forget he ever met you in ten minutes.' :lolol:

'
joannelou wrote:Aw Helen your story is so sweet! My hearts warmed haha.

I know what you mean about being nervous, it can be really annoying. I was/am exactly the same & I was debating whether or not to even go to the stage door & even then I hung back in the background a bit but she sweetly made sure she signed for everyone. I'm so pleased you had a great experience, it's really lovely reading all about it.

Oh I'm so glad you decided to go for it too, I just know we both would be kicking ourselves right now had we chickened out at the last minute!

She actually almost missed me! I was on the other side of the street waiting for everyone to disperse (I really can't stand crowds, not even small ones; I get claustrophobic if someone even stands to close to me) and when they did I started to walk towards her, and she started to walk towards the car that was waiting for her. Luckily, the man who was with her (whom I presume was the stage manager) saw me and caught her by the arm. ^^

Mara wrote:
Philippa wrote:I just can't believe that the last performance is tomorrow already :no:

It's tonight already. :no: Would't it have been great if they had transferred this play to Broadway too? I wonder if they'll miss each other after it's over: Jo and Robert really seemed to click.

I kind of wish I'd gone tonight instead; I'm sure the atmosphere was amazing! But I knew I wouldn't be able to hack it; too many people. I totally agree with you Maartje, Jo and Robert really did seem to have great chemistry together. :yes: It's such a shame that it's over, I would've loved to have seen it at least one more time. Oh well, here's to hoping we don't have to wait too long until Jo's back on the stage again! :grin:
Last edited by Heleno on 29 Jan 2012, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Other