Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Lion in Winter

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Jul 2011, 13:44

The Lion in Winter

Well, it's confirmed now, Joanna is going to be on stage again in London.

Joanna Lumley & Robert Lindsay Spend Winter at Haymarket

As previously tipped, Joanna Lumley and Robert Lindsay will star in the belated West End premiere of James Goldman’s 1966 Broadway play The Lion in Winter, which is confirmed to run at the Theatre Royal Haymarket from 15 November 2011 (previews from 4 November) to 28 January 2012, as the fourth offering in a year-long season of productions programmed and directed by Trevor Nunn.

Lumley plays the 12th-century queen Eleanor of Aquitaine, wife of Lindsay’s king Henry II, who has had her imprisoned for years. A family Christmas becomes a family at war. Henry II, not so young as he was, invites his estranged wife Eleanor of Aquitane, and his three sons, Richard, Geoffrey and John, to spend the festive season with him, his mistress Princess Alais, and her brother, the young King Philip of France. Will Henry name who is to be his successor as King of England?

The Lion in Winter was famously made into a 1968 film starring Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole. It was revived on Broadway in 1999 in a production starring Hollywood’s Laurence Fishburne as Henry and Stockard Channing as Eleanor. It has never been mounted in the West End.

Robert Lindsay will play Henry II

The production will return Robert Lindsay to the Haymarket, where he last played Cyrano de Bergerac in 1992. His many other stage credits include Me and My Girl (which won him an a Olivier and a Tony), Oliver! (which won him another Olivier), The Entertainer, Richard III and, last year in the West End, Onassis.

Lumley’s most recent stage credits include The Cherry Orchard, Blithe Spirit, Hedda Gabler, The Letter and La Bete, in which she made her Broadway debut after its West End run last year. Both Lindsay and Lumley are best known to TV fans for their roles in long-running sitcoms, respectively My Family and Absolutely Fabulous.

Nunn’s season at the Haymarket launched in March 2011 with a revival of Terence Rattigan’s Flare Path, starring Sienna Miller and Sheridan Smith. The current production, his revival of Tom Stoppard’s Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, is followed in the autumn by The Tempest, which stars Ralph Fiennes as the sorcerer Prospero and runs from 6 September to 29 October 2011 (previews from 27 August).

Original link: article
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 15 Jul 2011, 18:56

Re: The Lion in Winter

I WANT TO GO, I WANT TO GO, I WANT TO GO!! [/Edina]

Sorry guys. :blush:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Jul 2011, 09:25

Maartje wrote:I WANT TO GO, I WANT TO GO, I WANT TO GO!! [/Edina]

Sorry guys. :blush:

Don't be sorry, I know that feeling!!! :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Jul 2011, 11:40

LunaFive wrote:Don't be sorry, I know that feeling!!! :lmao:

The opening night of the play is on November the 15th. Both Philippa and I have birthdays in November. Good excuse, eh? :brows:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Jul 2011, 14:15

Maartje wrote:
LunaFive wrote:Don't be sorry, I know that feeling!!! :lmao:

The opening night of the play is on November the 15th. Both Philippa and I have birthdays in November. Good excuse, eh? :brows:

Oh yes, it is! I think of going on a trip there, too! Especially since Vanessa Redgrave, Sharon Gless and Mark Rylance are also in town during that that. Actually a must! :lmao:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Jul 2011, 22:53

More info here. This is so exciting!!! :hyper:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Jul 2011, 00:56

Ticket prices between 11 and 60 pounds - that's not too bad. :wink: Hey, if we all want to see this we should plan a trip together!
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 17 Jul 2011, 01:58

I want to go!!!
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Jul 2011, 08:20

Well, actually I am planning to go. Since Vanessa Redgrave is only in town until December 17th and Sharon Gless since November 20th, I think, I'll travel around the 20th of November. Thanks for the link, now I finally found a place to book the tickets. Yesterday I only found some other site that wasn't showing me the correct dates. I'm soooo excited. I think I will make reservations within the next week. When would you like to go?
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 17 Jul 2011, 11:02

Vanessa Redgrave? Oh she's a great actress!
My astro chart said I'd get along well with her
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Jul 2011, 13:44

Becky wrote:Vanessa Redgrave? Oh she's a great actress!
My astro chart said I'd get along well with her

Yes, Vanessa Redgrave is going "Driving Miss Daisy". I fear since she's not the youngest anymore, this might be my last chance to see her doing a play. :hearteyes:
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 17 Jul 2011, 14:05

Thank you for the article!
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Jul 2011, 15:56

Looks great, think I'll get some tickets!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Philippa

Post 17 Jul 2011, 16:17

My mum just said she might want to take me to see it as a birthday present, how brilliant is that? :hearteyes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Jul 2011, 18:08

Philippa wrote:My mum just said she might want to take me to see it as a birthday present, how brilliant is that? :hearteyes:

I suggested that the other day as well, I think my dad quite understood the hint. Who knows? :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 17 Jul 2011, 18:39

I didn't even have to suggest it, she came up with it all by herself. That's pretty cool as far as I'm concerned :lol:

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 Jul 2011, 05:37

Philippa wrote:I didn't even have to suggest it, she came up with it all by herself. That's pretty cool as far as I'm concerned :lol:

Your mom is pretty cool! Too bad that my birthday is just over, so I don't have anything to anticipate there :lmao: I need to buy tickets soon! But first I need to ask for holiday permission
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Jul 2011, 17:44

I really, really want to lay my hands on a ticket for the 21st, my birthday. It would be the best birthday present ever. :hearteyes:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 Jul 2011, 19:01

Maartje wrote:I really, really want to lay my hands on a ticket for the 21st, my birthday. It would be the best birthday present ever. :hearteyes:

Oh that surely would be something you'd never forget. I'm on my way home that day, otherwise I'd party with you after the show! :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Jul 2011, 22:13

LunaFive wrote:
Maartje wrote:I really, really want to lay my hands on a ticket for the 21st, my birthday. It would be the best birthday present ever. :hearteyes:

Oh that surely would be something you'd never forget. I'm on my way home that day, otherwise I'd party with you after the show! :lmao:

Well, perhaps I could go twice? I could book tickets for the 20st and 21st? *runs before bank account catches up*
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Jul 2011, 07:39

Maartje wrote:
LunaFive wrote:

Well, perhaps I could go twice? I could book tickets for the 20st and 21st? *runs before bank account catches up*

ha, you're too funny. But as far as I can see it, they do not play on Sundays. Which is bad for us, who come to London only to see the play(s). :no:
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jul 2011, 16:09

Have you already booked your ticket Britta?

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Jul 2011, 17:05

Philippa wrote:Have you already booked your ticket Britta?

Yes I have, yesterday. I wanted to make sure that I can also see Vanessa Redgrave, that's why I couldn't resist on waiting longer.
Are you going, too?
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jul 2011, 17:44

Where can you book the tickets? Is it via seetickets?

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Jul 2011, 20:06

Philippa wrote:Where can you book the tickets? Is it via seetickets?

Well, you can either buy them online here at the theatre:
Theatre Royal Haymarket

Just click on "The lion in winter" or give them a call. I had to call because when I tried to book mine, the computer would only offer me row L or H and I wanted to sit closer to the stage. The lady there was very friendly and took my reservation on the phone. Needless to say that I was so nervous on the phone that I couldn't spell my email address (I ALWAYS get nervous when I have to call the UK since usually the native speaker do speak very fast on the phone and when I don't see my opponent, it's hard to get some words sometimes and I ALWAYS mix up the letters when I have to spell them :confused: ) but she gave me a confirmation code so that I can collect my tickets at the box office. She was very patient :yes:
Next

Return to Other