Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The music used in the series

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 04 Jul 2009, 12:27

The music used in the series

I don't know how many of you have ever paid attention to the music, but it is really well chosen. Not only because of the melody and sound, but the lyrics perfectly fit the plot lines. To name a couple of examples:

You ever tried with all your heart and soul to get you lover back to you?
I wanna hope so.
You ever pray with all your heart and soul just to watch her walk away?
Baby did a bad bad thing, baby did a bad bad thing.
Baby did a bad bad thing, feel like crying, feel like crying.

No explanation needed, I'd say? (they've used this track for the first episode of the second series, by the way)

First you're runnin' one way
Then you run another
Thinkin' you'd discover
What you really need

Runnin' in circles
Gonna get you nowhere
Why you want to go there?
Where's it gonna lead?

What's it gonna be when the night is cold?
What's it gonna be when the morning scares you?
Put your reservations all on hold
Climb aboard and ride with me

Brilliant, isn't it? I can watch this show over and over again: if it isn't for the terrific acting, it's for the music or the dark sense of humour... Fantastic!
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 04 Jul 2009, 14:26

Re: The music used for the series

I love love love the music they used in Sensitive Skin! Some songs have great lyrics that really fit the series, like you just pointed out, and some great pieces of classical music that just fit the whole atmosphere perfectly :heart:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Jul 2009, 14:28

I wish I could find the classical music they've used for the series! I've only managed to recognise one piece unfortunately, I absolutely love the piano intro I must say.
<<

Philippa

Post 04 Jul 2009, 14:30

I used to have 2 of those classical pieces, I believe they were both by Bach, played by Glenn Gould.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Jul 2009, 14:38

That makes three, because I recognised Saint-Saens' the aquarium: it's from his les carnaval des animaux, which I used to listen to a lot when I was a young girl.

I shall have a look for the Bach pieces, maybe I can find them again for you?
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Jul 2009, 14:55

I've found it, I've found it! The piano intro tune that has been bothering me ever since I saw Sensitive Skin! I knew it was something Bach, but I simply couldn't find it. The stupid thing is: I've had this file on my computer, as it was part of an audiobook I got myself ages ago, it's the Goldberg Variations!

Here it is!
<<

Philippa

Post 04 Jul 2009, 14:57

Very good! If you already had it on your computer, it's a possibility that it's the file that I once uploaded :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Jul 2009, 15:02

No, I don't think so, it's part of Anna Enquists Contrapunt: she used the Goldberg variations for her book. :wink:

I've literally been trying to find this ever since I saw the first episode of Senstiive Skin, and then it's part of that book... I've even attended a lecture by Enquist herself, can you believe that?
<<

Philippa

Post 04 Jul 2009, 15:15

Ah well, funny coincidence then. I did upload it once, but that was a long time ago. I believe the other piece by Bach that was used in one of the episodes was called 'English Suite'. But I'm not completely sure.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 05 Jul 2009, 10:01

Yes, you're right about the English Suite part, but I don't think it was used as often as the Aria was. Bach's music was really a great choice though, it fits the whole atmosphere of both series.
<<

Philippa

Post 05 Jul 2009, 10:42

I love Bach anyway, and the pieces of music that were used fitted the series perfectly :wub:

<<

george123

Donkey

Post 23 Jul 2009, 16:39

Im hoping someone can help me find the piano piece featured in series 1, episode 3. Its played towards the end, when Al has hit Robert Ringwald & given him a black eye. It then continues to play as Davina walks along the Southbank in the rain & then into the closing credits. Ive managed to find almost every piece of music played in both series (I'll try to post the list here at some point) but this one is alluding me & its driving me mad! THANKS!
Georgina.

<<

Philippa

Post 23 Jul 2009, 18:04

I'll have a look at the episode tonight, because I don't know every scene off by heart. It is indeed hard to find some of the pieces of music that were used. Maartje has found a lot of them, and has posted them in our media section. I shall give you access to that, so you can see for yourself if there are pieces missing from your collection.
Welcome to the forum btw :grin:

<<

george123

Donkey

Post 23 Jul 2009, 20:11

Thanks for the welcome. Ive just looked at the media section (kinda wish I hadn't as Im not going to get anything done now - I'll be on that for hours, ha). The piece Im after doesnt seem to be in Maartje's list, so if anyone knows it would be appreciated. I'll add my own list soon too as some of the ones Ive tracked down dont seem to be on the forum (Ive managed to find most of the classical pieces).
Georgina.

<<

Philippa

Post 23 Jul 2009, 20:23

Ahaha I'm sorry for distracting you :whistle:
It would be great if you could add the missing things at some point. Especially the classical pieces are hard to find.

<<

george123

Donkey

Post 23 Jul 2009, 21:33

Before I forget, here are most of the classical pieces used in both seasons. Ive excluded a couple that Ive seen posted elsewhere in the forum. And the main one thats missing (& thats driving me nuts) is the one Ive commented on above (help appreciated). All are available on iTunes (thats where I got em) & all are amazing pieces of music - I highly recommend them!

'Concerto in D Minor after Alessandro MarCello, BWV 974: II. Adagio' by Bach (from the album Glen Could: The Gould Variations')

'Firste Booke of Songes: No 17, Come Again' by Daniel Taylor (from the album 'Daniel Taylor" Portrait)

'On the Overgrown Path: The Barn Owl Has Not Flown Away' by Leif Ove Andsnes (from the album 'Piano Nocturnes')

'Piano Concerto No. 23 in A Major, K488: Adagio' by Mozart (from the album 'Adagio Mozart')

'Mandolin Concerto in C, RV 452: 1. Allegro' by Vivaldi (from the Album 100 Classical Favourites')

'Goldberg Variations, BWV 988: Aria' by Bach (from the album 'The Goldberg Variations: Glenn Gould Plays Bach')

'Nocturne No. 1 in B-Flat minor, Op.9, No.1' by Chopin (from the album 'Ultimate Chopin: The Essential Masterpieces')

'Nocturne No. 20 in C-Sharp Minor, Op.posth' by Chopin (from the album 'Ultimate Chopin: The Essential Masterpieces')

'Nocturne No. 2 in E Flat, Op. 9 No. 2' by Chopin (from the album 'Chopin: Nocturnes')
Georgina.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Sep 2009, 20:38

Re: The music used in the series

I'm listening to the Goldberg Variations again, and I simply can't get over the beauty of this music. It's so simple and therefore so touching I feel like crying my eyes out whenever I listen to this. I don't think they could have made a better choice for the series!

(Anyone with me on this one?)
<<

Philippa

Post 30 Sep 2009, 20:47

Oh yes absolutely. I love Bach as it is, and his Goldberg Variations, especially when played by Glenn Gould, are just amazing. Such beautiful music :heart:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Sep 2009, 20:56

Philippa wrote:Oh yes absolutely. I love Bach as it is, and his Goldberg Variations, especially when played by Glenn Gould, are just amazing. Such beautiful music.

Isn't it just? :heart: Glenn Gould did a fantastic job. I've bene told that the Goldberg Variations are not as simple as they sound, and that they're - in fact - rather hard to play.

I also really like the use of the song the Wind, by Cat Stevens. As soon as I heard it on the show I looked it up, because I really like the use of metaphors in this one:

I listen to my words but
they fall far below
I let my music take me where
my heart wants to go
I swam upon the devil's lake
But never, never never never
I'll never make the same mistake

Oh dear, a rewatch of my Sensitive Skin DVDs is desperately needed!
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 10 Nov 2009, 18:49

I love the music in Sensitive skin it is so calming. :happy:

Becka.
xx
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 04 Mar 2010, 22:50

Just re-watched Episode One- what is the name of the Carpenters song played over the end credits in this episode?
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Georgia

Donkey

Post 09 Mar 2010, 19:23

It's called "Jambalaya" :happy:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous