Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The 'Obsession' episode

<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 May 2010, 18:02

Re: The 'Obsession' episode

I just love TNA, everything about it on so many levels is just brilliant. :grin:
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 May 2010, 18:34

Laura wrote:I just love TNA, everything about it on so many levels is just brilliant. :grin:

I think levels pretty much are the reason it's so brilliant. So much of what makes it good is the more complex characterisation and the relationships between the players, along with a sense that they're more affected by the things they do in their job. People that don't like TNA don't engage with the characters the same way, I don't think, and I think that means they can't enjoy it as much. Then there's only the plots, and if they don't like those, then it's a bit of a wash.
<<

Marina_Wilkie

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Favourite: Sapphire & Steel

Post 17 Apr 2013, 23:27

I only recently saw this episde and its now officially MY FAVOURITE EPISODE EVERRR!!!, although it made me cry at the end, it was such a good plot and Joanna is amzing!!!, towards the end you genuinly think she is in LOVE with the guy that plays Larry, such a good actress oh my god!!!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Apr 2013, 13:14

Marina_Wilkie wrote:I only recently saw this episde and its now officially MY FAVOURITE EPISODE EVERRR!!!, although it made me cry at the end, it was such a good plot and Joanna is amzing!!!, towards the end you genuinly think she is in LOVE with the guy that plays Larry, such a good actress oh my god!!!

It is a very good episode, though not one you want to watch if you're in a sad mood, because it really has a gutpunch of an ending. Joanna's performance is definitely brilliant--she unravels so beautifully, and gives us a real sense as to why Purdey's as vulnerable as she is. Kudos to Gareth as well, who plays off her grief with some lovely understated angst of his own in the uncomfortable position of the man who had to make the tough call in a no-win situation, and now can only stand by and be quietly supportive. One of the most emotional episodes of the series, no question.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 18 Apr 2013, 16:41

This is definitely one of my favourites as well. It's such a strong episode, and it's nice to get a bit of an insight into Purdey's background. Which reminds me, I should rewatch this one again someday soon :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Apr 2013, 22:06

Philippa wrote:This is definitely one of my favourites as well. It's such a strong episode, and it's nice to get a bit of an insight into Purdey's background. Which reminds me, I should rewatch this one again someday soon :yes:

It stands out in particular because it's such a personal episode, and we have so few of those from the original series. TNA always did that sort of thing more often. It provides plenty of fic fodder for that reason, as well, so that's always nice. :whistle:

I need to rewatch this one as well--in fact, I need to rewatch the whole series! It's been ages! :lol: Mark down under "summer goals." :yes:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 19 Apr 2013, 20:13

Great idea, Timeless! I've been thinking about TNA recently and how long its been since I properly watched it. I really need to do a re-watch of my favourite eps (and that definitely includes 'Obsession') :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Apr 2013, 20:19

Mara wrote:Great idea, Timeless! I've been thinking about TNA recently and how long its been since I properly watched it. I really need to do a re-watch of my favourite eps (and that definitely includes 'Obsession') :wink:

It's been literally years since I watched it (probably because I watched it a lot for awhile there and needed to give it a rest :lol: ). But now I find it's been long enough that I really want to see it--all of it. Perhaps we need to do a forum-wide TNA watchfest this summer. :yes:

And then I might be able to write fic regularly again. :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Apr 2013, 20:29

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Perhaps we need to do a forum-wide TNA watchfest this summer. :yes:

Great idea, I'm definitely in. I've missed Jo as Purdey. :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Apr 2013, 20:52

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Perhaps we need to do a forum-wide TNA watchfest this summer. :yes:

Me, too. And Gareth and Patrick, too, of course. But not as Purdey. Because as Joanna said, Gareth looked lousy in a dress. :lmao:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 20 Apr 2013, 14:55

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Mara wrote:

Me, too. And Gareth and Patrick, too, of course. But not as Purdey. Because as Joanna said, Gareth looked lousy in a dress. :lmao:

Oh the mental image :lmao:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Apr 2013, 15:07

Philippa wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Mara wrote:Great idea, I'm definitely in. I've missed Jo as Purdey. :yes:

Oh the mental image :lmao:

It's almost too much for the brain to process, isn't it? :lmao: But it begs the question--how did Joanna know how bad he looked? Joanna, is there something we should know? :whistle:

Besides, I thought he'd have good enough legs to pull it off. :lolol:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 12 Jan 2014, 03:05

Philippa wrote:This is definitely one of my favourites as well. It's such a strong episode, and it's nice to get a bit of an insight into Purdey's background. Which reminds me, I should rewatch this one again someday soon :yes:
A great episode for a soap like Coronation Street ^^ ...but way too depressing ....teenage emotions ...totally out of place in an Avenger Girl ! A large Scotch please for Steed AND Gambit :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 24 Feb 2014, 00:57

martyoreen wrote:
A great episode for a soap like Coronation Street ^^ ...but way too depressing ....teenage emotions ...totally out of place in an Avenger Girl ! A large Scotch please for Steed AND Gambit :lol:

I don't think so actually. I've always thought that 9 out of 10 times, Purdey was just as tough as any of the boys on the service. Gives a bit of insight into her history but it does not make her an emotional wreck - she never really forgave Lary, did she? It makes her more human. Anyway, I think it's just a nice touch that I wish they writers had given to Emma too - I'm very fond of the Peel era, but that character was near-perfect (looks and personality-wise)
Previous

Return to The New Avengers