Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The 'Obsession' episode

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 15 May 2009, 17:17

The 'Obsession' episode

Maartje wrote:My TNA soundtrack, the theme from 'Obsession' is on now.

Such a clever piece of writing - a soundtrack can to so much for a show or movie, if only more producer would realise that... But this is great, it really makes me feel like watching Obsession now.

The music makes me want to cry. And melt inside. And scream things like "Damnit, Purdey, just let him hold you!" But maybe that's just me. :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 15 May 2009, 17:23

Re: What are you listening to?

No, that's not just you, it makes me go all blubbing as well. That's what the episode itself actually does, every time I see it. :blush:

I love the last line: ''She's Purdey. She's a woman.''
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 15 May 2009, 17:35

Re: What are you listening to?

Maartje wrote:No, that's not just you, it makes me go all blubbing as well. That's what the episode itself actually does, every time I see it. :blush:

I love the last line: ''She's Purdey. She's a woman.''

It's a very affecting episode. I was shocked they'd show an Avenger girl being hit by her fiance, and to this day Gambit's expression when he tries to follow Purdey at the end makes me want to cry. I almost feel worse for Gambit--it's not his fault, but he bears the burden anyway. :cry:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 15 May 2009, 21:40

Re: The 'Obsession' episode

I've separated the topic once more, since there is so much to talk about when it comes to this episode.

I'm settled with a some chocolat cookies, and the Obsession episode. Now all I need is a box of tissues. :cry:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 15 May 2009, 22:23

*Hand Maartje a box of tissues*
Here you are babe, I just bought a new box :smooch:

I just finished watching an episode of LoM, so I might watch Obsession before going to bed. It's been a while since I last saw it.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 15 May 2009, 22:28

Thanks babe. I'll need it, I'm nearing the last scene... :cry: I was in the middle of the episode, when I dad called me downstairs because Joanna was on Top Gear, haha. (he knows how much I love that show, and he nowadays even knows he needs to call me down whenever there's something Jo/Jen related on TV, haha)

Anyway - I was thinking... She never uses her last name - could that have anything to do with the fact that she ''didn't want to be found'', obviously by Larry? He's been trying to contact her, which she has definitely knows (she says so) so it could have been the perfect way to go undercover: new address, telephone number, drop the last name...

I feel so silly for not noticing this before, but part of her tears are due to the fact that she could have stopped him, because he says so after all. She could have saved the whole operation and his life, and I think that's really bothering her, not just the loss of Larry himself.

This episode really does make you think and wonder...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 May 2009, 04:45

Well, on the poster for the ballet she's already known only as "Purdey" so I suspect she started using it as a stage name, but I've no doubt she tried to disappear after she broke up with Larry...

I have loads to say about this ep, but a lot of it's going to be covered in the next fic, so I don't want to spoil it. :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 16 May 2009, 10:26

I'll be waiting (impatiently), for your next fic :d

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 May 2009, 10:39

Haha alright, I'll wait (im)patiently for your next story then! :wink:
<<

shill

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 13 Jan 2010, 23:50

Obsession

Did Martin Shaw's character Doomer intend to shoot Purdey at the end of Obsession? :doubt:
Gambit shot him thinking he would....
The New Avengers & Miami Vice Rule!
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Jan 2010, 23:56

I think it's safe to say that he intended to shoot her. Gambit definitely made the right decision.

Merged this post, since a topic for the Obsession episode already existed

<<

shill

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 13 Jan 2010, 23:59

I suppose Doomer turned on her after she rejected him then. he tears up a photo of her if i remember correctly
The New Avengers & Miami Vice Rule!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Jan 2010, 02:06

Larry most certainly would have shot Purdey. Initially he hopes she can be persuaded to come back to him, and if she does, he's willing to give up his vendetta to be with her. Her initial rejection of him at the party (the slap) disheartens him, but when he returns to his house, he can't bring himself to tear up her photo. After she goes to his house looking for the general, however, and states quite clearly that there's no way she'll even consider going back to him, he tears her photo up. The tearing quite clearly symbolises his breaking point for her--he feels that he's lost her for good, and she was the only thing he was willing to give everything else up for. That leaves him with nothing but his desire for revenge, and he's determined not to let her take that from him as well. Clearly he isn't keen on the idea of shooting her, but just before Gambit shoots he's clearly lining up a shot on Purdey. He was seconds away from killing her. Gambit's decision was 100% correct, as was Purdey's to leave him.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 14 Jan 2010, 14:08

Timeless A-Peel wrote:He was seconds away from killing her. Gambit's decision was 100% correct, as was Purdey's to leave him.

Absolutely - credits to Martin Shaw's acting there. I feel like the producers didn't make it really clear whether he was willing to kill her or not, but his acting did. Gambit stepped in just in time and I think, deep down, Purdey knows that too.

Imagine what Purdey must have felt like, knowing he would have given it all up for her. In the end I think that would have been a lie, but such thoughts are enough to make one feel guilty, I imagine...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Jan 2010, 18:15

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:He was seconds away from killing her. Gambit's decision was 100% correct, as was Purdey's to leave him.

Absolutely - credits to Martin Shaw's acting there. I feel like the producers didn't make it really clear whether he was willing to kill her or not, but his acting did. Gambit stepped in just in time and I think, deep down, Purdey knows that too.

Imagine what Purdey must have felt like, knowing he would have given it all up for her. In the end I think that would have been a lie, but such thoughts are enough to make one feel guilty, I imagine...

Martin Shaw did such a good job, I still hate him, even when I saw him in Cranford. He was that effective at getting me angry with him. I think the producers were aware he was going to shoot Purdey, too--writing the photo-tearing scene pretty much clinches it for me. But it's just ambiguous enough that you can guess. But seriously, Doomer wasn't going to let anyone near that rocket. He would have had to shoot Purdey to succeed.

Khell actually wrote that question into one of her fics--if Purdey had gone with him, would it have stopped the plot. She put the guilt in there, something I hadn't even considered. Would she feel guilty? Possibly. Would Larry have been willing to give it all up for her? Well, he was getting increasingly delusional as time went on. I don't know that his promise meant much of anything. He would have said anything to get Purdey back in his clutches. I never addressed that aspect, because I think Purdey would be more distracted by Gambit killing him than thinking about what Doomer said before. But it's definitely something to think about. It might have bothered at first, but as time passed, I think she would come to see the situation for what it was.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 May 2010, 17:21

Yesterday I watched this episode for the first time. It had a great start since it showed my actual birthday in huge letters :wink: but I was not well prepared for this episode :cry: . I liked it as it had a focus on Purdey but I felt soooo sorry for her and I felt sorry for the poor Gambit who had no idea what was going on and all he tried to do was to help. It was a very deeply moving episode and now I (maybe) understand Purdey a bit better. I think. Steed was lovely, the way he tried to help her. Definately one of my favourites!
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 May 2010, 17:45

It's one of my favourites too- it shows how fragile Purdey really is, and of course, what could have been between herself and Gambit. An Obsession rewatch is in order tonight!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 May 2010, 17:54

LunaFive wrote:Yesterday I watched this episode for the first time. It had a great start since it showed my actual birthday in huge letters :wink: but I was not well prepared for this episode :cry: . I liked it as it had a focus on Purdey but I felt soooo sorry for her and I felt sorry for the poor Gambit who had no idea what was going on and all he tried to do was to help. It was a very deeply moving episode and now I (maybe) understand Purdey a bit better. I think. Steed was lovely, the way he tried to help her. Definately one of my favourites!

Obsession is very difficult to watch--it's the most personal episode of the series, I think. The first time I saw it was like a suckerpunch to the gut--to see your Avengers girl slapped around by her fiance, and then have Gambit have to kill him right in front of her... :cry: Poor Gambit's between a rock and a hard place. He knows that she was involved with Larry, but he doesn't know about the abuse, and it puts him in a really tough spot. I have no doubt Larry would have shot Purdey, and that he made the right decision, but the look on his face when she walks away is just heartbreaking. :crybaby:

Laura wrote:It's one of my favourites too- it shows how fragile Purdey really is, and of course, what could have been between herself and Gambit. An Obsession rewatch is in order tonight!

It really shows a lot of the reasons why Purdey is so intent on keeping Gambit at arm's length--she can't bear going through it all again if things go wrong. If she hadn't been hurt, there's no question she wouldn't have been so afraid of getting into a relationship. Does it necessarily mean that it's killed any chance of them getting together? I'd like to think no--they do keep working together, and by the end of the Canadian stories they're having some pretty deep discussions. One day Purdey's going to realise that pushing Gambit away isn't going to make it any easier to cope if something happens to him, and that may be the turning point.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 May 2010, 18:27

Timeless A-Peel wrote:It really shows a lot of the reasons why Purdey is so intent on keeping Gambit at arm's length--she can't bear going through it all again if things go wrong. If she hadn't been hurt, there's no question she wouldn't have been so afraid of getting into a relationship. Does it necessarily mean that it's killed any chance of them getting together? I'd like to think no--they do keep working together, and by the end of the Canadian stories they're having some pretty deep discussions. One day Purdey's going to realise that pushing Gambit away isn't going to make it any easier to cope if something happens to him, and that may be the turning point.

Since I don't know all episodes yet, I can't tell about the Canadian stories (whatever that means) but I agree with you. Purdey really is fragile and I think you brought it to the point - she has been hurt and she just want's to make sure that this will never happen again. But I'd like to think that she and Gambit might end up having a relationship after all. I think some day she will realise that he's different and that she would be safe with him.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 May 2010, 18:46

Yep, and that is why we NEEDED a third series to see where they went! Damn you tight funders!!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 May 2010, 23:37

LunaFive wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:It really shows a lot of the reasons why Purdey is so intent on keeping Gambit at arm's length--she can't bear going through it all again if things go wrong. If she hadn't been hurt, there's no question she wouldn't have been so afraid of getting into a relationship. Does it necessarily mean that it's killed any chance of them getting together? I'd like to think no--they do keep working together, and by the end of the Canadian stories they're having some pretty deep discussions. One day Purdey's going to realise that pushing Gambit away isn't going to make it any easier to cope if something happens to him, and that may be the turning point.

Since I don't know all episodes yet, I can't tell about the Canadian stories (whatever that means) but I agree with you. Purdey really is fragile and I think you brought it to the point - she has been hurt and she just want's to make sure that this will never happen again. But I'd like to think that she and Gambit might end up having a relationship after all. I think some day she will realise that he's different and that she would be safe with him.

TNA was funded by foreign money, so they shot three episodes in France and four in Canada. These are widely panned by fans, but I find some of them quite fun--Forward Base and The Lion and the Unicorn in particular.

But Purdey is, in my view, the most damaged character in Avengerland. Her father was killed violently, and I think she fell in with Larry so quickly because she wanted some sort of security. Then that didn't work out either, and she lost her place in teh ballet. The Purdey that emerged has had to build herself back up again, but in order to maintain that, she sort of built a defensive wall around herself to keep people out and herself from getting hurt again. Then Gambit comes along and starts breaking through, which she hadn't counted on at all. She does her best to keep him at arm's length, but at really crucial moments, like when she thinks he's dead in Faces, she realises what he means to her. The question is whether she'll work up the courage to take the plunge again before it's too late. The romantic in me hopes she would. :wub:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 May 2010, 08:47

Thank you for explaining about the funds and Purdey. I missed the story about Purdey's father being killed, I guess I'll have to re-watch after I finished the first round. Now I understand her character even better. :hug:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 02 May 2010, 09:02

They say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Haven't we all had some tagedy in our lives - if not, we will be very lucky if we don't experience terrible sadness. I see Purdey as a strong character.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 May 2010, 10:53

^ Beautifully put. I think the character of Purdey is marvelous, and you can see that she tries to let Gambit in, but that hesitation inside of her is too strong.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 May 2010, 18:00

LunaFive wrote:Thank you for explaining about the funds and Purdey. I missed the story about Purdey's father being killed, I guess I'll have to re-watch after I finished the first round. Now I understand her character even better. :hug:

Funding was the bane of TNA's existence--they never had enough. Eventually the funding issues killed it. They really needed American money, but they didn't buy the show until it had already ended, sadly.

Purdey's father was "shot as a spy," as Steed mentions in House of Cards. Her mother remarried a bishop, who Steed and Gambit later encounter when they go visit Roland. We actually hear a lot about Purdey's family, more than is usual for an Avengers character. People actually took it a little too seriously, and started telling Joanna how sorry they were that her father had died, when, of course, he was still alive. :lol:

Avengerdan wrote:They say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Haven't we all had some tagedy in our lives - if not, we will be very lucky if we don't experience terrible sadness. I see Purdey as a strong character.

This is true--Purdey's essentially built herself back up from some pretty terrible lows. I think it's taken its toll on her, though--it's made her leery of letting anyway in past a certain point, and there's something a little bit loopy about her thinking. Someone who goes into the same profession that killed a parent has to have a couple of issues simmering on the back burner.

Laura wrote:^ Beautifully put. I think the character of Purdey is marvelous, and you can see that she tries to let Gambit in, but that hesitation inside of her is too strong.

Gambit, I think, both surprises her and terrifies her by a) getting under her skin and b) so darned persistent, even in the face of a lot of discouragement. I used to think she jsut enjoyed stringing him along, and yes, there's probably a little of that going on, but mainly she's doing a sort of complicated dance of both pushing him away and giving him just enough encouragement to keep him from giving up entirely. She's unwilling to take the risk, but she doesn't want anyone to have him, either. The fact that he gets shot a lot doesn't exactly make things easier, so she's stuck in this sort of strange sort of limbo with him, and that's where they're going to be until she works up the courage to let soemone in again.
Next

Return to The New Avengers