Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Purdey bob

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 03 Jun 2010, 18:33

Re: The Purdey bob

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Avengerdan wrote:Perhaps it's making a comeback - I saw a woman out with one yesterday.

Well, everything else from the seventies is coming back--why not the bob? :grin:

Yes, that's pretty much what I was about to say. Now I want one, too. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jun 2010, 18:44

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Avengerdan wrote:Perhaps it's making a comeback - I saw a woman out with one yesterday.

Well, everything else from the seventies is coming back--why not the bob? :grin:

Yes, that's pretty much what I was about to say. Now I want one, too. :lol:

I pretty much had one when I was little--I have pictures of me at around 3/4 with what is pretty much a Purdey bob. I could get away with it as a little kid. I don't think it'd be a good idea now. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 10 Jun 2010, 17:39

I have just watched the Alejandro clip - she keeps copying! First Bowie, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna and now... Joanna. :lolol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Jun 2010, 17:43

Mara wrote:I have just watched the Alejandro clip - she keeps copying! First Bowie, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna and now... Joanna. :lolol:

I have to watch this now. Does she really have a bob? :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 10 Jun 2010, 18:34

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I have to watch this now. Does she really have a bob? :lmao:

She does, but I doubt if you like the video though. I've never been a Gaga-fan, but I found this video unnecessary disturbing. I don't mind artists picking up controversial issues but I have to say there isn't any way I could think of this being 'art'. The music is really mediocre and rebelling against the church is something Madonna already did years ago, so not really original either.

I shall get back on topic now. :lol: I'm sorry for that little rant, I only just watched this video and I needed to get that off my chest.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Jun 2010, 18:38

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I have to watch this now. Does she really have a bob? :lmao:

She does, but I doubt if you like the video though. I've never been a Gaga-fan, but I found this video unnecessary disturbing. I don't mind artists picking up controversial issues but I have to say there isn't any way I could think of this being 'art'. The music is really mediocre and rebelling against the church is something Madonna already did years ago, so not really original either.

I shall get back on topic now. :lol: I'm sorry for that little rant, I only just watched this video and I needed to get that off my chest.

Breathe. :hug: I often find music videos disturbing, and, annoyingly, nothing to do with the content of the song, but I do want to see the Purdey bob. I'll see what I think.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 10 Jun 2010, 18:40

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Breathe. :hug: I often find music videos disturbing, and, annoyingly, nothing to do with the content of the song, but I do want to see the Purdey bob. I'll see what I think.

If you want to see the bob, you should start watching the clip from 5:30. It's nicely cut, I'll give her that. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Jun 2010, 18:42

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Breathe. :hug: I often find music videos disturbing, and, annoyingly, nothing to do with the content of the song, but I do want to see the Purdey bob. I'll see what I think.

If you want to see the bob, you should start watching the clip from 5:30. It's nicely cut, I'll give her that. :lol:

Man alive, how long is that video? The song's not even that long! Noted. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Jun 2010, 02:49

I skipped to the part you said (eight minutes for a music video? Really?), and had a look.

You're right! It is a Purdey bob. An honest-to-goodness Purdey bob, not just one of those bobs that sorta look like a Purdey bob, but have been modified in one way or another. That's the real deal. It looks just like Joanna's (very nicely cut, as you said :lol: ). Does this mean Lady Gaga is a TNA fan? Is Nicky Clarke her hair guy? Where's Gambit? If Gambit's in there I'll gladly watch the other 7.5 minutes. :lmao: Otherwise I'm off to do something else.

(Actually, part of me sort of half-expected to see Steed, Purdey, and Gambit walk in from the right and demand she hand the wig over. Why do none of these things in my head ever happen. :lmao: )

I have to say I liked her outfit with it, too--the boots and flares and vest ensemble, obviously, not the part with the machine-gun bra. :lolol:
<<

spudwa

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 19 Jun 2010, 07:31

I still think the Purdey is her best look ever. I particularly liked in the first series when it was shorter and I thought the side parting made it look even better. She parts her hair in the centre too often in most of her styles and it doesn't quite work as well as the side swept fringe. She must of been a very regular visitor to the hair dressers as I've never noticed any obvious haircut between scenes in the first series anyway.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Jun 2010, 09:32

spudwa wrote:I still think the Purdey is her best look ever. I particularly liked in the first series when it was shorter and I thought the side parting made it look even better.

I agree - the side parting looked really great and it still surprises me they didn't stick with it. It looked more feminine somehow and it worked well with Joanna's face.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. You can open up your own topic to introduce yourself on the introduction board. :wave:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Jun 2010, 10:46

Awesome hair, I knew it was Purdey inspired the first moment I saw it!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Jun 2010, 17:05

spudwa wrote:I still think the Purdey is her best look ever. I particularly liked in the first series when it was shorter and I thought the side parting made it look even better. She parts her hair in the centre too often in most of her styles and it doesn't quite work as well as the side swept fringe. She must of been a very regular visitor to the hair dressers as I've never noticed any obvious haircut between scenes in the first series anyway.

I'm always amazed at how much they managed to do with the Purdey bob despite how short it was--more than they did with Diana's, and she had more hair! :lmao: I liked the side-sweep too, but while I think that the bob worked better for the character, I generally think Joanna looks better with longer hair, like she wore in the French episodes.

They do a good job of continuity, but there are episodes where it sort of evolves from scene-to-scene--Faces comes to mind. I suspect they had a hairdresser on set to trim her hair and keep it looking good. Joanna wouldn't have had time to go visit John Frieda every time she needed a trim--she used him more to revamp her hair (he was responsible for her season 2 hairdos as she slowly grew out the bob into the shaggier cut). They do cut and style it differently between episodes, just the way that they would cut and brush Gareth's differently as well from time to time. Sometimes the bob is pretty uneven, actually--you can tell they're struggling to get it looking right. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 19 Jun 2010, 20:36

I think the Purdey bob was brilliant. It definitely suited Joanna and the character so well. Although I have to admit I like the late series 2 hairstyle best. The slightly longer, grown out bob suited her really well :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Jun 2010, 20:43

Philippa wrote:I think the Purdey bob was brilliant. It definitely suited Joanna and the character so well. Although I have to admit I like the late series 2 hairstyle best. The slightly longer, grown out bob suited her really well :yes:

Longer hair is always best for Joanna, no question, but Purdey is more Purdeyesque with the bob. That's the mental image I have of the character. ^^
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jun 2010, 20:58

True. With the longer hair she's more Joanna and less Purdey. The hair really defines the character a lot in this case :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Jun 2010, 21:10

Philippa wrote:True. With the longer hair she's more Joanna and less Purdey. The hair really defines the character a lot in this case :yes:

Definitely. Purdey's all about the practical hairdo (although how practical it is when you keep having to trim it to keep it from looking weird is questionable :lmao: ). It really does sort of delineate her from the actress. :yes:

As I plan out my "Vignettes"/arc timeline (which I'm sort of always working on in the back of my brain), I find myself wondering what they would have done with Purdey's hair had TNA gone for another one, two, even three seasons (which Joanna and Gareth were contracted for. With the right funding, we would have been guaranteed three more seasons of Purdey and Gambit before we'd have to worry about them walking), what they would have done with Purdey's hair. They'd moved past the bob, obviously, and Joanna was growing her hair out, but with all the action scenes, would she have wanted to leave it that way? Would she have gone and gotten that really short do she dyed red and they had to cover with a wig on S&S? I can't see them giving her big, permed eighties hair--too hard to keep up on location. Would she be the first Avengers girl who ran around with a perky little ponytail or something? What do you think?

(I'm kind of inclined to have her go get the short do without telling anyone and come home to Gambit to give him a bit of a start. Poor man. :lmao: )
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jun 2010, 21:22

Nah, I don't think the really short hair would've suited her. Perhaps she could've had it a bit longer, just slightly longer than it was in the Canadian episodes. Really long hair wouldn't have worked either because it would've been "out of character".

I don't think I've ever thought of a hairdo as being out of character before :lolol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Jun 2010, 21:47

Philippa wrote:Nah, I don't think the really short hair would've suited her. Perhaps she could've had it a bit longer, just slightly longer than it was in the Canadian episodes. Really long hair wouldn't have worked either because it would've been "out of character".

I don't think I've ever thought of a hairdo as being out of character before :lolol:

I dunno--it might have been fun for a couple of episodes, a short cut. I'm seriously considering it. :whistle:

Or they could have shaved it all off. Poor Gambit would die of shock. :lmao:

But I agree that they probably had it just a bit longer, just above the shoulders. I think that's sort of where they were heading. She could curl it in or pin it back, very much like the Canadian eps. That's kind of how I picture Purdey in "Vignettes"--not a bob, but a bit longer. Great minds... ^^

And of course hair can be out of character--she didn't dye it blue or anything, did she? :lmao:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 19 Jun 2010, 22:22

I dunno. I love Purdey, but I didn't love 'The Purdey'. Perhaps it's 'cos I'm a feller.

I always think it's interesting that Joanna said because she was this "police woman" she thought a practical hairdo was appropriate.

<Chandler>To match her practical high heels and practical stockings and suspenders, of course! </Chandler> :tongue:
Last edited by Avengerdan on 20 Jun 2010, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Jun 2010, 00:03

Avengerdan wrote:I dunno. I love Purdey, but I didn't love 'The Purdey'. Perhaps it's 'cos I'm a feller.

I always think it's interesting that Joanna said because she was this "police woman" she thought a practical hairdo was appropriate.

<Chandler>To match her practical high heels and practicle stockings and suspenders, of course! </Chandler> :tongue:

Like I said, I don't think it's the most flattering cut for her, but it went with what Joanna wanted for the character--as she said, the practical "police woman" who wouldn't have time for that sort of thing. It's no secret Joanna hated the high heels/stockings/suspenders/dresses thing when playing Purdey--she wanted some nice comfortable clothes to run around in, and she thought it didn't make much sense for a secret agent woman to run around in dresses with her underwear showing all the time. She argued with the producers about it a lot, but never won. (Gareth, of course, fought similiar battles, wanting jeans instead of suits, or at the very least pants that wouldn't split open when he did stunts. Apparently running in Cuban heels wasn't a breeze, either. He got cardigans for his troubles. :lmao: ) The bob she got away with because she went and cut it without telling anyone. :tongue: So we ended up with a kind of dichotomy--a practical woman in impractical clothes. Oddly enough, it just sort of adds to the characterisation. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Jun 2010, 00:49

I have to agree with Timeless: it's not really feminine, but Joanna is just lucky not to be looking masculine in just about anything. I think it also really works for the her features and she the shape of her face is just about right: imagine someone with a more ''squared'' face and a bob: not nice. Joanna was quite right though: it fits the character best. I love how it also represents Purdey's ''change'': from ballerina dancer with long hair to high-kicking secret agent with a short, practical cut.

Philippa wrote:I don't think I've ever thought of a hairdo as being out of character before :lolol:

Heck, imagine Purdey with a beehive and Pats with a Purdey bob. That's basically as much ''out of character'' as you can get. :lol:

Mind you, we loved Joanna's bob in Holland for a long time. I still have to ask my mum for a proper picture of her with the bob some time, haha.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Jun 2010, 11:13

Hah could you imagine if the two characters had swapped hair- hilarious!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Jun 2010, 17:18

JackieO wrote:Hah could you imagine if the two characters had swapped hair- hilarious!

Well, Purdey would have a great new place to hide her gun instead of in her stocking top. You could hide a shotgun in that beehive. :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Jun 2010, 22:51

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
JackieO wrote:Hah could you imagine if the two characters had swapped hair- hilarious!

Well, Purdey would have a great new place to hide her gun instead of in her stocking top. You could hide a shotgun in that beehive. :lmao:

What, like Pats uses her beehive to hide cigarettes and drugs in? Nice idea. :lmao:
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers