Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Purdey bob

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 20 Jun 2010, 23:09

Re: The Purdey bob

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
JackieO wrote:Hah could you imagine if the two characters had swapped hair- hilarious!

Well, Purdey would have a great new place to hide her gun instead of in her stocking top. You could hide a shotgun in that beehive. :lmao:

What, like Pats uses her beehive to hide cigarettes and drugs in? Nice idea. :lmao:

Sure. Why not? You could keep all sorts of thing up there--snacks, nail clippers, small animals, emerging Third World nations. :lmao:

Look, for once we were talking about TNA and an AbFab discussion broke out. Someone get the camera! :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 24 Jun 2010, 19:14

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Look, for once we were talking about TNA and an AbFab discussion broke out. Someone get the camera! :lol:

Hey - you're right! I guess I am to blame this time. :whistle:

I've just rewatched Gaga's Alejandro video and I still think that hair cut looked better on Joanna. I think I prefer Purdey's outfits too - can you imagine Joanna back then wearing something like a gun bra? You wouldn't have to go looking for it down your stockings though, that's the one advantage. :lol:

''The Purdey bob by J. Lumley, since 1976''. :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Jun 2010, 19:55

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Look, for once we were talking about TNA and an AbFab discussion broke out. Someone get the camera! :lol:

Hey - you're right! I guess I am to blame this time. :whistle:

I've just rewatched Gaga's Alejandro video and I still think that hair cut looked better on Joanna. I think I prefer Purdey's outfits too - can you imagine Joanna back then wearing something like a gun bra? You wouldn't have to go looking for it down your stockings though, that's the one advantage. :lol:

''The Purdey bob by J. Lumley, since 1976''. :thumb:

That's right--off-topic, bad admin! :lmao:

I don't think Gaga does a bad job with the bob, but you can't beat the original, as you say--J. Lumley, since 1976. :thumb: I liked the outfit the she had on before the gun bra. Purdey in the gun bra? Oh dear. I think Gambit's head just exploded. :lmao:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 22 Sep 2010, 12:32

I've been watching a notorious old UK soap on DVD - Crossroads. The episodes I have range from 1965 to 1979 (with many lost, sadly). Crossroads was the story of a Midlands Motel, it's staff and guest. Nortorious because it was shot on a shoestring and live often five days a week, so there are lots of gaffs, forgotten lines and mis-cues. Victoria Wood sent the whole thing up in 'Acorn Antiques'.

The point I'm hurtling towards is there are currently three characters with Purdey hairstyles - Rosemary, the Motel director's wife who is trying to muscle in on the management board of the Motel, Diane ex-Motel receptionist/waitress, who is now working on her uncle's farm producing fresh friut and veg to the Motel, and Kate one of the secretaries.

You'd think a producer would have stepped in and said something about too many Purdey bobs! :grin: Although to be fair they're all different colours - Rosemary's is dark brown/red and Kate's is white-blonde, but still ... :roll: :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Sep 2010, 02:51

Avengerdan wrote:I've been watching a notorious old UK soap on DVD - Crossroads. The episodes I have range from 1965 to 1979 (with many lost, sadly). Crossroads was the story of a Midlands Motel, it's staff and guest. Nortorious because it was shot on a shoestring and live often five days a week, so there are lots of gaffs, forgotten lines and mis-cues. Victoria Wood sent the whole thing up in 'Acorn Antiques'.

The point I'm hurtling towards is there are currently three characters with Purdey hairstyles - Rosemary, the Motel director's wife who is trying to muscle in on the management board of the Motel, Diane ex-Motel receptionist/waitress, who is now working on her uncle's farm producing fresh friut and veg to the Motel, and Kate one of the secretaries.

You'd think a producer would have stepped in and said something about too many Purdey bobs! :grin: Although to be fair they're all different colours - Rosemary's is dark brown/red and Kate's is white-blonde, but still ... :roll: :lol:

Well, if they all just showed up with them one day, there wouldn't be much they could do about it, would there? As Joanna said, they couldn't glue the hair back on. :lmao:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Sep 2010, 10:18

Haha that's funny!! God love Crossroads, what a program!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 23 Sep 2010, 20:28

I wish I could do some screen grabs ... I might ask around.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Sep 2010, 00:23

Avengerdan wrote:I wish I could do some screen grabs ... I might ask around.

We could have our own mini Purdey lookalike competition, just like they did back in the day. :wink:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 04 Oct 2010, 19:03

Found two screen grabs which I'll post later.

Meantime a question from this afternoon's teatime quiz, Eggheads:

Q: Which character, played by Joanna Lumley, in a 1970's TV series sported and gave her name to a pudding bowl haircut?

Purdey
Pixie
Petal

They answered 'Petal' (as it sounded the most likely)

In fairness the team of challengers were student types ... :zip: :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Oct 2010, 21:01

Oh I think Philippa just mentioned that question on Eggheads too - her dad had watched it and even he couldn't believe those guys didn't know the answer. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Oct 2010, 21:44

Avengerdan wrote:Found two screen grabs which I'll post later.

Meantime a question from this afternoon's teatime quiz, Eggheads:

Q: Which character, played by Joanna Lumley, in a 1970's TV series sported and gave her name to a pudding bowl haircut?

Purdey
Pixie
Petal

They answered 'Petal' (as it sounded the most likely)

In fairness the team of challengers were student types ... :zip: :wink:

At least they're still asking TNA questions. But who on earth would have a character named Petal? :lol:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 04 Oct 2010, 22:10

Out of the three choices 'petal' is the only one that isn't a haircut. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Oct 2010, 02:10

Avengerdan wrote:Out of the three choices 'petal' is the only one that isn't a haircut. :lol:

Irony of ironies. :lol: Maybe "Petal" is Purdey and Gambit's unusually named daughter who devised a new, exciting hairdo and dyed it blue due to an interesting photomanipulation of her mother she found on the internet? :wink:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 19 Oct 2010, 23:38

Avengerdan wrote:I've been watching a notorious old UK soap on DVD - Crossroads. The episodes I have range from 1965 to 1979 (with many lost, sadly). Crossroads was the story of a Midlands Motel, it's staff and guest. Nortorious because it was shot on a shoestring and live often five days a week, so there are lots of gaffs, forgotten lines and mis-cues. Victoria Wood sent the whole thing up in 'Acorn Antiques'.

Here they are. Not the best and clearest pics, but just to give you an idea.

The text hasn't come out very well, but it just identifies the characters: "Diane" the farmer's neice and Motel receptionist/waitress. "Rosemary" the ex-wife of the Motel director. "Kate" the Motel secretary.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Oct 2010, 02:25

Avengerdan wrote:

Here they are. Not the best and clearest pics, but just to give you an idea.

The text hasn't come out very well, but it just identifies the characters: "Diane" the farmer's neice and Motel receptionist/waitress. "Rosemary" the ex-wife of the Motel director. "Kate" the Motel secretary.

Wow, you found a reference text for it and everything! Yep, those are Purdey bobs all right. There are times I wish Life on Mars was set in 1976, just so we could have Annie with a bob, too. :lmao:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 21 Oct 2010, 11:57

The text is mine actually. I thought I'd be 'clever' and add text to the pics themselves but it went t*ts up. :zip:

It's funny, but apart from te secretary the other characters grew out their Purdey's as soon as they could. It's like they had them cut once and then tired of them straight away.

Joanna looked great with hers, but it really didn't suit a lot of women. Then as soon as Charlie's Angels started women wanted Farah Fawcett-Majors hair.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Oct 2010, 16:39

Avengerdan wrote:The text is mine actually. I thought I'd be 'clever' and add text to the pics themselves but it went t*ts up. :zip:

It's funny, but apart from te secretary the other characters grew out their Purdey's as soon as they could. It's like they had them cut once and then tired of them straight away.

Joanna looked great with hers, but it really didn't suit a lot of women. Then as soon as Charlie's Angels started women wanted Farah Fawcett-Majors hair.

The text looked very official, Dandy--I thought you'd scanned it from a book! :lol:

They got rid of them rather fast, did they? Well, I guess they thought they'd get their obligatory Purdey cut in there. It really is a tough hairstyle to pull off, particularly as you get older, I think. You need more angular features for it--rounded faces like mine just go with the contours of it too much and your head can end up looking like a big ball. :lol: Joanna did all right with it, but the one place it didn't flatter was her jaw--longer hair softens it more.
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 21 Oct 2010, 20:01

I imagine they'd all do a double take in 'make up' and decided to grow them out. I have to say that, generally and from memory, the 'Purdey' was a flash-in-the-pan and of it's time anyway. It looks high maintenance.

You're right about Joanna's jaw. The only time I noticed it was during TNA and never before or since.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Oct 2010, 01:21

Avengerdan wrote:I imagine they'd all do a double take in 'make up' and decided to grow them out. I have to say that, generally and from memory, the 'Purdey' was a flash-in-the-pan and of it's time anyway. It looks high maintenance.

You're right about Joanna's jaw. The only time I noticed it was during TNA and never before or since.

It's definitely high-maintenance. Everytime it grows a little, you can guarantee you need to have it snipped. Easy when you're on a set everyday with a hairdresser to keep it in line. Harder in real life. :lol:

Joanna has a very wicked jaw (or Nutcracker jaw, as someone uncharitably dubbed it once), but it's softened when her hair is longer. I started watching TNA with season 2, so I really noticed it in season one when she had the bob. Strictly speaking the longer hair is a better look for her, but the short do is very "Purdey," and it did a lot to define the character.
<<

reallife14

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 29 Oct 2010, 16:40

Hi all,

If anyone does want a Purdey haircut then please see the thread below for the One Show. We're also looking for people with photos of themselves with the cut.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=1032

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Carla
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 14 Nov 2010, 16:21

This is from Dawn French's new sitcom Little Crackers, which tells stories looking at the formative years of familiar faces. Dawn plays the Queen Mother when she met her age four. As you can see she had a little Purdey cut. :lmao:

It probably isn't a 'Purdey'. :roll: :no: Dawn is a three years older than me, so I doubt it was anything other than a regular 'basin' cut in 1961. Just an excuse to pass it on. I love Dawn French. :hearteyes:

Full story here. Stephen Fry and Catherine Tate are involved in the project.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ds-newsxml
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Nov 2010, 16:38

I hadn't heard about the new sitcom yet, so that's double good news for me. Thanks for posting Dandy! :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Nov 2010, 18:49

Avengerdan wrote:This is from Dawn French's new sitcom Little Crackers, which tells stories looking at the formative years of familiar faces. Dawn plays the Queen Mother when she met her age four. As you can see she had a little Purdey cut. :lmao:

It probably isn't a 'Purdey'. :roll: :no: Dawn is a three years older than me, so I doubt it was anything other than a regular 'basin' cut in 1961. Just an excuse to pass it on. I love Dawn French. :hearteyes:

Full story here. Stephen Fry and Catherine Tate are involved in the project.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ds-newsxml

That's cute! Even if the time is wrong, pretty much everyone will think "Purdey" I expect, particularly when the French/Lumley connection is so strong. Looks like a good series, too. Stephen Fry berating Stephen Fry--doesn't get much better than that does it? :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 14 Nov 2010, 19:41

Fabulous! How come I hadn't heard of this yet? I remember very well reading about Dawn's meeting with the Queen - it obviously made quite an impression. :lmao: And Stephen and Catherine Tate are involved? Win! :squee:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 05 Jan 2014, 05:56

Re: Her hair

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Mind you, the bob falls in such lovely layers when Gambit picks her up in Target and carries her off. Ahem. 'scuse me... :wub:

Oh, I know what you mean.. :cloud9:

Ah well, I think we can say without doubt that she looks good anyway. Even bold. (yes, there is a picture of that in the Continuity book) :lol:

It just flops back so nicely, and she's all sort of draped in his arms and...*heavy sigh* Where's my DVD? :wub:

Joanna? Bald? Eek! :lol: I don't think Gambit could handle that. :wink:

Joanna bald yes...saw her in a magazine once ...title' Damsel in Distress' holding huge scissors in one hand and very long shorn locks in the other ! Possibly early Eighties! From book done (I think by top B.B.C.radio presenter) with top English Female Celebrities ...featured Joanna bald..anyone able to help here ?
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers