Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Purdey bob

<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 20 Jan 2009, 00:11

The Purdey bob

Today's shot features Joanna and John Frieda, the man responsible for the Purdey bob. Although he looks very broody here. Note Joanna's Mickey Mouse earrings replacing her usual studs:

Image
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 20 Jan 2009, 07:18

Re: New Avengers HQ Pictures

Gorgeous picture, the short Purdey hairdo - obviously - suits her so much better, thanks! I know it was him (by that time, but so very famous yet, I'm guessing) who did her hair, and I also remember she had to promise that just in case it wouldn't suit her, she'd wear a wig. :lol:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:When he died, Joanna's words were "I loved him dearly." Every interview I've heard/read afterwards that mentions Gareth, she gets a little twitchy and sad, and immediately switches to some anecdote about their time filming that recalls happier times (often those shots of Purdey and Gambit in the car were shot all on their lonesome with a camera mounted on the car. Gareth would run the lighting and Joanna was on clapperboard)! So I think they were terrribly close. I believe she was one of the few people he told about his cancer.


My god, that is so terribly sad.. I didn't know their friendship was so intimate, such a love, and it must have been so hard for her to lose him..
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 20 Jan 2009, 23:59

Re: New Avengers HQ Pictures

Maartje wrote:Gorgeous picture, the short Purdey hairdo - obviously - suits her so much better, thanks! I know it was him (by that time, but so very famous yet, I'm guessing) who did her hair, and I also remember she had to promise that just in case it wouldn't suit her, she'd wear a wig. :lol:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:When he died, Joanna's words were "I loved him dearly." Every interview I've heard/read afterwards that mentions Gareth, she gets a little twitchy and sad, and immediately switches to some anecdote about their time filming that recalls happier times (often those shots of Purdey and Gambit in the car were shot all on their lonesome with a camera mounted on the car. Gareth would run the lighting and Joanna was on clapperboard)! So I think they were terrribly close. I believe she was one of the few people he told about his cancer.


My god, that is so terribly sad.. I didn't know their friendship was so intimate, such a love, and it must have been so hard for her to lose him..


Yes, they did want her to wear a wig if it didn't work out, seeing as they couldn't glue it back on again (which I believe was Joanna's little quip, since she went out and got the cut without telling anyone). The bob is more iconic, but I tend to prefer Joanna with longer hair--it softens her jaw.

Yes, I believe they were terribly close. More than thirty years, and they were still going out for dinner and such together. Joanna said it was rare to work with someone who became a "proper friend," as it were. I don't know if you've seen this interview:

http://home.scarlet.be/~pvandew1/avenge ... onight.htm

But she did it shortly after he died, and the way she talks about him speaks volumes (I really loved Gareth and his portrayl of Gambit, so I always choke up a little watching it). The way she says "Look at that boy" is just heartbreaking. :cry:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 21 Jan 2009, 17:10

Re: New Avengers HQ Pictures

Thank you so much for that link, I had never seen that interview! Very interesting, and indeed the part about her working with Gareth was touching. I also quite liked the 'insider' information on Pats though - as a huge fan of the show, I'm always excited to find out more about how it was created, especially stuff cast wise.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Yes, they did want her to wear a wig if it didn't work out, seeing as they couldn't glue it back on again (which I believe was Joanna's little quip, since she went out and got the cut without telling anyone). The bob is more iconic, but I tend to prefer Joanna with longer hair--it softens her jaw.


The long hair suits her better now she's a couple of years older, but she could handle the short. And it was great for the actual show since the hair somehow suited the character of Purdey as a police woman. So, it was fashion here in Holland then?! I remember I watching TNA lately, my mum recognised the show and told me she used to wear her hair like that too back then, haha! (and she's now Joanna's age..) I very much doubt if I could get away with having my hair done like that nowadays though... :mrgreen:

Anyway - I think the hair was famous for the show, so I think it can have its own topic!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 21 Jan 2009, 19:47

Re: New Avengers HQ Pictures

Maartje wrote:Thank you so much for that link, I had never seen that interview! Very interesting, and indeed the part about her working with Gareth was touching. I also quite liked the 'insider' information on Pats though - as a huge fan of the show, I'm always excited to find out more about how it was created, especially stuff cast wise.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Yes, they did want her to wear a wig if it didn't work out, seeing as they couldn't glue it back on again (which I believe was Joanna's little quip, since she went out and got the cut without telling anyone). The bob is more iconic, but I tend to prefer Joanna with longer hair--it softens her jaw.


The long hair suits her better now she's a couple of years older, but she could handle the short. And it was great for the actual show since the hair somehow suited the character of Purdey as a police woman. So, it was fashion here in Holland then?! I remember I watching TNA lately, my mum recognised the show and told me she used to wear her hair like that too back then, haha! (and she's now Joanna's age..) I very much doubt if I could get away with having my hair done like that nowadays though... :mrgreen:

Anyway - I think the hair was famous for the show, so I think it can have its own topic!


I thought I was going mad when I saw that my last messages had disappeared from the other forum, until the popped up here. Not losing it yet, apparently. Whew!

That's one of my favourite Joanna interviews, I believe done only a month or so after Gareth's death. She had a lot of stuff in there that I hadn't heard before, particularly about the making of TNA (I did know about the bob phenomenon in Holland though. I believe it was the only country in that area to show the series, Finland and such deeming it too violent). The bob did suit the character, since Joanna wanted to make her a very no-nonsense agent who wore sporty clothes, but inevitably ended up in dresses no matter how often she complained. It certainly is one of the few things that has kept the series alive in the public imagination. And here Joanna was just worried her hair would get frizzy with all that jumping around.

I had a sort of similar bob when I was very little, I know, but my mom had one in the seventies. She got it out of a magazine, but it's neat to think that it was Joanna who originated it and actually got it in the magazines to begin with.

On the hair topic, John Frieda also did her later hairstyle in season 2, which was longer and shaggier. It would have been interesting to see if they ended up growing it out again if the series had lasted longer.
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 27 Jan 2009, 12:06

Re: Her hair

I finally got round to watching that interview, and it's just so amazing!
I loved the way Joanna showed how to walk like Patsy, and the story about her and Gareth being in the car together and shooting the scene themselves!
And the way she talked about her granddaughters, just so incredibly sweet :wub: :heart: :cloud9:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 27 Jan 2009, 16:19

Re: Her hair

Philippa wrote:I loved the way Joanna showed how to walk like Patsy, and the story about her and Gareth being in the car together and shooting the scene themselves!


Me too! :wub; I'm always interested in anything Patsy related, cos the character is obviously a legend.. You can definitely tell she was very fond of Gareth by this interview too, not only what she says, but first and foremost how she talks about him.

I've wachted the interview for various times now, it's definitely one of her best. She certainly is the most glam granny indeed, haha! (even though I must admit I was kinda shocked her son is THAT old: my mum is the same age as Joanna, but she has even grandchildren now!)
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 27 Jan 2009, 16:31

Re: Her hair

^I know, she doesn't seem old enough. But mind you, she had Jamie very young, she was only 21 at the time.
Which I just realised is only a year older than me :shock:

Oh and is your mum the same age as Joanna?
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 27 Jan 2009, 16:52

Re: Her hair

Philippa wrote:Which I just realised is only a year older than me :shock:


Can you imagine having a baby at your age?! It must have been so hard...

And yes, she is, actually, old mum.. The Avengers and all that kind of stuff are the good old days for her as well, haha.
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 27 Jan 2009, 16:54

Re: Her hair

Maartje wrote:
Philippa wrote:Which I just realised is only a year older than me :shock:


Can you imagine having a baby at your age?! It must have been so hard...



Just the thought is enough to freak me out to be honest :lol:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 28 Jan 2009, 00:10

Re: Her hair

Maartje wrote:
Philippa wrote:I loved the way Joanna showed how to walk like Patsy, and the story about her and Gareth being in the car together and shooting the scene themselves!


Me too! :wub; I'm always interested in anything Patsy related, cos the character is obviously a legend.. You can definitely tell she was very fond of Gareth by this interview too, not only what she says, but first and foremost how she talks about him.

I've wachted the interview for various times now, it's definitely one of her best. She certainly is the most glam granny indeed, haha! (even though I must admit I was kinda shocked her son is THAT old: my mum is the same age as Joanna, but she has even grandchildren now!)


It's a very sweet interview, isn't it? Joanna's very candid, and she always manages to trot out new anecdotes about TNA. Definitely my favourite, mainly because it sketches out her relationship with Gareth so well. If I had a friend that made laugh like that, I'd probably love him, too.

Joanna did have Jamie very young, but he did have his kids late. I'd say he must be 43 or so now, pretty much the same age as Gareth's eldest (made it easy when Gareth and Joanna used to hire a nanny for the pair of them, and when they were washing kid's clothes in the bathtub and such. How can you not be friends when you wake up and clean up the cornflakes and juice together?)
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 28 Jan 2009, 00:13

Re: Her hair

I'm still waiting for my copy of 'Stare Back and Smile' to arrive. I'm getting a bit impatient now because I desperately want to read it, and my classes start again next week, so I would like to read it before then..
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 28 Jan 2009, 00:15

Re: Her hair

Oh and to get back on topic, because after all we did start all this about the hair :lol:
Joanna said that the Purdey cut was mandatory in Holland in the mid 70's. Well I checked with my mum, and she didn't have one. She must've been one of the very few :lolol:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 28 Jan 2009, 00:19

Re: Her hair

Philippa wrote:Oh and to get back on topic, because after all we did start all this about the hair :lol:
Joanna said that the Purdey cut was mandatory in Holland in the mid 70's. Well I checked with my mum, and she didn't have one. She must've been one of the very few :lolol:


Well, Joanna did say it was only about 8 of 10, so your mom must have escaped! :lol:

You'll love "Stare Back Smile." Reading about Joanna and Gareth sharing that suite shows just how unglam it was. Can you imagine waking up to your costar looking all scruffy, working with him all day, going home with him, feeding the kids, and then doing it all over again? You really have to be on good terms with someone to do that without throttling each other.

Also keep a look out for the description of the meal in Paris. Gareth's too generous for his own good "One of you balls is in my glass, old squire!" (and no, it's not as wrong as it sounds). :wink:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 28 Jan 2009, 07:54

Re: Her hair

I assume you've got a copy, Timeless? ;) Coud you please make a few scans if possible? (I'd so much love to read that..)

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Well, Joanna did say it was only about 8 of 10, so your mom must have escaped! :lol:


Haha, my mum did use to wear her hair like that, lmao. (she's the same age as Joanna, as I said before, so that explains a lot...) I must ask her to show me a picture though...
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 28 Jan 2009, 19:25

Re: Her hair

Maartje wrote:I assume you've got a copy, Timeless? ;) Coud you please make a few scans if possible? (I'd so much love to read that..)

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Well, Joanna did say it was only about 8 of 10, so your mom must have escaped! :lol:


Haha, my mum did use to wear her hair like that, lmao. (she's the same age as Joanna, as I said before, so that explains a lot...) I must ask her to show me a picture though...


ahaha that's fabulous :grin:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Jan 2009, 00:03

Re: Her hair

Maartje wrote:I assume you've got a copy, Timeless? ;) Coud you please make a few scans if possible? (I'd so much love to read that..)

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Well, Joanna did say it was only about 8 of 10, so your mom must have escaped! :lol:


Haha, my mum did use to wear her hair like that, lmao. (she's the same age as Joanna, as I said before, so that explains a lot...) I must ask her to show me a picture though...



I do have a copy, although I don't know when I'll have time to scan anything. The book is pretty easy to get ahold of on ebay, though. I think someone on the Gambit group may have typed the chapter out, though. Want me to have a look?
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 29 Jan 2009, 00:05

Re: Her hair

I'm still waiting for my book and I'm getting very impatient. All this talking about it has made me extremely curious!
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Jan 2009, 00:08

Re: Her hair

Philippa wrote:I'm still waiting for my book and I'm getting very impatient. All this talking about it has made me extremely curious!


It's a great chapter. There are anecdotes I've never read anywhere else before, most of them to do with her and Gareth, because they spent a lot of time hanging around together, especially when they were overseas and didn't have much else to do (although Gareth's anecdote about hanging out nude (with only a guitar to cover up) at Patrick's is one for the record books as well.
<<

JadoreJoLumley

User avatar

Donkey

Posts: 66

Joined: 10 Aug 2008, 18:16

Location: Bonnie Scotland

Post 26 Mar 2009, 22:57

Re: Her hair

Anyone who knows me knows that if there is one thing hat makes me smile...its the Purdy hair :wub:
Image

Oh it's a small shoe....
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 26 Mar 2009, 23:01

Re: Her hair

It's gorgeous! And it really suited her :heart:
Though I do like Purdey's hair best when it's a bit longer, it softens the facial features in my opinion.
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

JadoreJoLumley

User avatar

Donkey

Posts: 66

Joined: 10 Aug 2008, 18:16

Location: Bonnie Scotland

Post 26 Mar 2009, 23:13

Re: Her hair

her hair was always just so super cool. so cool infact it could have had its own spin off show. fighting crime lol
Image

Oh it's a small shoe....
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 27 Mar 2009, 05:06

Re: Her hair

Philippa wrote:It's gorgeous! And it really suited her :heart:
Though I do like Purdey's hair best when it's a bit longer, it softens the facial features in my opinion.


The Purdey bob really worked with the character--no-nonsense. But I have to agree that Purdey looks better with longer hair--it softens her jawline.

Mind you, the bob falls in such lovely layers when Gambit picks her up in Target and carries her off. Ahem. 'scuse me... :wub:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 27 Mar 2009, 10:13

Re: Her hair

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Mind you, the bob falls in such lovely layers when Gambit picks her up in Target and carries her off. Ahem. 'scuse me... :wub:


Oh, I know what you mean.. :cloud9:

Ah well, I think we can say without doubt that she looks good anyway. Even bold. (yes, there is a picture of that in the Continuity book) :lol:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 27 Mar 2009, 11:03

Re: Her hair

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Mind you, the bob falls in such lovely layers when Gambit picks her up in Target and carries her off. Ahem. 'scuse me... :wub:


Oh I know exactly what you mean :wub:

JadoreJoLumley wrote:her hair was always just so super cool. so cool infact it could have had its own spin off show. fighting crime lol


AHHAHAHAHAHAHA you're so right! :lmao:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
Next

Return to The New Avengers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred