Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Search For Noah's Ark

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Mar 2012, 07:04

The Search For Noah's Ark

Actress Joanna Lumley braves danger in search of Noah’s ark in Iran
Joanna Lumley, the actress, will defy Foreign Office advice and travel to Iran to film a documentary about Noah's ark.
The star of Absolutely Fabulous tells Mandrake that she is to defy Foreign Office advice and journey into Iran, in search of Noah’s ark Photo: REX

By Richard Eden
7:30AM GMT 18 Mar 2012

Joanna Lumley has campaigned on animal welfare issues, fought for the rights of Gurkhas, and even attempted to win membership of the all-male Garrick Club. Now, however, the actress is planning her most daunting mission yet.

The star of Absolutely Fabulous tells Mandrake that she is to defy Foreign Office advice and journey into Iran, in search of Noah’s ark.

“I’m going to have to get my hard hat on and my bulletproof vest,” she says. “I’ve got a new documentary to make for the end of the year, where I’m going to try and find Noah’s ark. They’ve found the ruins of something that looks like a big ship in the hills.”

The Foreign Office warns that all but essential travel to Iran should be avoided, as the drums of war beat louder over its nuclear programme. The mullahs expelled the British Ambassador last November.

During a demonstration, the British Embassy in Tehran was attacked and set on fire. All British staff have been evacuated. In 2007, 15 Royal Navy personnel were captured by Iranian forces and held hostage for 13 days.

Lumley, who turns 66 in May, admits: “It will be dangerous and, of course, I’ll do a lot of prep in case there is a situation.”

In 2006, an expedition by the Bible Archaeology Search and Exploration Institute discovered a rock formation high in the mountains of north-western Iran that its members said resembled Noah’s ark.

“How fascinating is it going to be to see the mountains of Iran,” says Lumley. “I mean, that’s somewhere where not many people would go. I’ll be setting off in the autumn.”

Speaking at the Prince’s Trust Celebrate Success Awards, at the Odeon Leicester Square in London, the actress adds: “Sometimes, you have to learn how to be sensible, which, in my case, I will be.

“There are local people who are going to have to come with you and that endangers their lives. You can fly out and they can’t, so you have to be terribly careful about how you do things like that.

“I might be going places that are tricky, but I’m no war reporter, so I won’t be getting messy, hopefully, or causing them too many problems."

original link

This sounds like a really interesting documentary to me although I have to admit, I am a little worried about her safety. I know she won't deliberately get herself into danger but you'll never know. I am not sure if I would be brave enough to travel there :worship: I am sure she will be well prepared and I hope that she'll have a safe journey and I am looking forward to watching the new documentary!
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 20 Mar 2012, 08:36

Re: Iran documentary in search of Noah's ark

Her safety was the first thing that crossed my mind, too. I'm sure it will be a great documentary if all goes well, and I'm sure she'll get plenty of security on her trip. Still a risky undertaking though :unsure:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Mar 2012, 11:30

Mara wrote:Her safety was the first thing that crossed my mind, too. I'm sure it will be a great documentary if all goes well, and I'm sure she'll get plenty of security on her trip. Still a risky undertaking though :unsure:

I agree with you, hopefully it's worth it! But still, I admire her for doing this! :wub:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 20 Mar 2012, 21:46

I confess I find this worrying as well. Of course there's always a slight risk when you travel anywhere, but Iran's off the scale. It's as though she wants to keep pushing the envelope, which is good, and I know they'll prepare, but there's an awful lot that can go wrong, and I'm not sure any documentary is worth it. :unsure: Still, I wish her all the best and I hope she comes back safely.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Mar 2012, 11:07

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I confess I find this worrying as well. Of course there's always a slight risk when you travel anywhere, but Iran's off the scale. It's as though she wants to keep pushing the envelope, which is good, and I know they'll prepare, but there's an awful lot that can go wrong, and I'm not sure any documentary is worth it. :unsure: Still, I wish her all the best and I hope she comes back safely.

Very well said, Timeless. When I just think about the Nile documentation - even there she was in real danger once. I really hope they all will come out of this without any harm! :confused:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Mar 2012, 12:39

LunaFive wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I confess I find this worrying as well. Of course there's always a slight risk when you travel anywhere, but Iran's off the scale. It's as though she wants to keep pushing the envelope, which is good, and I know they'll prepare, but there's an awful lot that can go wrong, and I'm not sure any documentary is worth it. :unsure: Still, I wish her all the best and I hope she comes back safely.

Very well said, Timeless. When I just think about the Nile documentation - even there she was in real danger once. I really hope they all will come out of this without any harm! :confused:

Oh yes, a few of the places she's gone have entailed some risk, but nothing like going into an active warzone. I know it'll probably be fascinating, but to risk it for the sake of filming a documentary? All we can do is cross our fingers, I suppose. :confused:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Mar 2012, 06:45

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Oh yes, a few of the places she's gone have entailed some risk, but nothing like going into an active warzone. I know it'll probably be fascinating, but to risk it for the sake of filming a documentary? All we can do is cross our fingers, I suppose. :confused:

I think that's the only thing we can actually do. Maybe she'll reconsider but strong minded as she is... I wonder what her family is thinking about that. :doubt:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Mar 2012, 12:38

LunaFive wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Oh yes, a few of the places she's gone have entailed some risk, but nothing like going into an active warzone. I know it'll probably be fascinating, but to risk it for the sake of filming a documentary? All we can do is cross our fingers, I suppose. :confused:

I think that's the only thing we can actually do. Maybe she'll reconsider but strong minded as she is... I wonder what her family is thinking about that. :doubt:

I've been wondering about that, too--I'm sure Stephen and Jamie are worried about her going, but as you say, I doubt they can persuade her otherwise.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Mar 2012, 13:22

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
LunaFive wrote:

I've been wondering about that, too--I'm sure Stephen and Jamie are worried about her going, but as you say, I doubt they can persuade her otherwise.

I am pretty sure that they are not too happy about it. She should have done a documentary about Germany, it's not as dangerous as in Iran. Of course there is no Noahs Ark but we have other things of interest :lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Mar 2012, 16:36

LunaFive wrote:I am pretty sure that they are not too happy about it. She should have done a documentary about Germany, it's not as dangerous as in Iran. Of course there is no Noahs Ark but we have other things of interest :lmao:

I would quite happily watch Joanna wander around Germany. I'm still waiting for the fan tour, when she hits all our countries. I don't think she's been in Canada since she did TNA. Come visit us, Joanna--you won't get put through a car wash this time! :lmao:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Mar 2012, 16:42

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I would quite happily watch Joanna wander around Germany. I'm still waiting for the fan tour, when she hits all our countries. I don't think she's been in Canada since she did TNA. Come visit us, Joanna--you won't get put through a car wash this time! :lmao:

Ha, yes, THIS would be the perfect documentation, a fan tour - and a pretty cheap one, too since she could save all the money for hotel costs as probably all her fans would be happy to accomodate her (at least I would :lmao: ). I would even be her driver if she would want me :lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Mar 2012, 21:14

LunaFive wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I would quite happily watch Joanna wander around Germany. I'm still waiting for the fan tour, when she hits all our countries. I don't think she's been in Canada since she did TNA. Come visit us, Joanna--you won't get put through a car wash this time! :lmao:

Ha, yes, THIS would be the perfect documentation, a fan tour - and a pretty cheap one, too since she could save all the money for hotel costs as probably all her fans would be happy to accomodate her (at least I would :lmao: ). I would even be her driver if she would want me :lmao:

See, fun and cheap! Quick, someone phone the BBC and let them know we have their next docu series all planned out. :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 23 Mar 2012, 20:29

Haha yes, 'Joanna visits fans all around the globe'. She'd be welcome to stay here for a couple of days... Or weeks :lol: :whistle: Nice one, girls!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Mar 2012, 21:41

Mara wrote:Haha yes, 'Joanna visits fans all around the globe'. She'd be welcome to stay here for a couple of days... Or weeks :lol: :whistle: Nice one, girls!

This is the one flaw in the plan--once one fan has her, chances are she won't want to let Joanna move on to the next. We'd all have to agree to share. :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 23 Mar 2012, 22:54

Oh, don't worry, Philippa and I will share her with you. I think :whistle:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Mar 2012, 01:27

Mara wrote:Oh, don't worry, Philippa and I will share her with you. I think :whistle:

I may need to get that in writing. :wink:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 24 Mar 2012, 07:37

what about me? :wave:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 Apr 2012, 10:02

I'm actually really excited about this! Yes, I do worry about her safety, but I don't think she'd travel to Iran if it were really that dangerous. Some friends of mine went to Iran last summer, and they said it was absolutely fantastic. As long as you don't go off the beaten track you should be fine there, apparently.

Iran is a country I definitely want to visit someday, so I'm really excited that Joanna's making a documentary about it :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Apr 2012, 13:24

Philippa wrote:I'm actually really excited about this! Yes, I do worry about her safety, but I don't think she'd travel to Iran if it were really that dangerous. Some friends of mine went to Iran last summer, and they said it was absolutely fantastic. As long as you don't go off the beaten track you should be fine there, apparently.

Iran is a country I definitely want to visit someday, so I'm really excited that Joanna's making a documentary about it :yes:

Don't get me wrong, I do think that they have a wonderful culture there and lot's of interesting places to see. I would love to see more, especially if Joanna is presenting it to me. It's just that I fear for her safety, that's all. But I am also pretty sure they won't do anything to endanger her at all.
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Apr 2012, 22:07

I definitely understand your concern Britta, and I feel the same way. She hasn't exactly chosen a very safe country to travel to, but I do think that it's not as dangerous as it's usually made out to be.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Apr 2012, 05:47

Let's hope you're right, Philippa! :wave:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Jun 2012, 12:19

Maybe I missed this in my absence, but to we know when this airs?
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Jun 2012, 12:42

I haven't been able to find any info about an air date yet. My guess is sometime in the autumn.

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Jun 2012, 18:22

I haven't found anything either, I only know from the one Joanna panel that it will only be a 90 minutes documentary. I had hoped for 4 pieces instead of 2, but I'm glad with anything I can get :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Jun 2012, 20:07

Only a 2 parter? That's disappointing indeed, I had expected another 4 parter. But I'm sure it'll be great either way. I'm really looking forward to it :yes:

Next

Return to Documentaries