Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The specials

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 09 Apr 2010, 17:57

Re: The specials

Mara wrote:Yes, I see what you mean. It all ends in this big fight between, with the last ever scene being Patsy and Eddie homeless. I can really handle a lot of things on shows, but I didn't like Edina slapping her grand child in the face: it's just out of character and not funny.

Don't get me wrong, AbFab is still the best television show I have ever seen but I do try to be critical every now and then. (to make sure I don't get too much carried away by the fact that both Jennifer and Joanna are in it, haha)

The biggest hit for me is Saffy, who finally had someone to love her, and ends up part of a harem and a single mom. That was just too much. The whole show's just too much, as though Jennifer Saunders was starting to run dry on ideas, and couldn't come up with anything except to push all the boundaries way over the line from black comedy into plain old grim and crushing. Full disclosure: I have difficulty watching AbFab. It's the not the Patsy/Eddie dynamic that bothers me--for the most part that's pretty innocuous and fun--but the way the Saffy character is treated. The cruelty with which Patsy and Eddie treat her is almost unbearable for me to watch. I liked Cold Turkey because there was a sense that the characters may have grown past that, but White Box undid all that.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 09 Apr 2010, 18:09

I have to agree, but that's two not-so-very-great specials against five terrific series. I agree that Jennifer pushed the boundaries over the line, but I think you're giving her too little credit if that's your reason for not being able to watch AbFab anymore. I think it was a wise idea to call it a day after five series, but I would never have wanted to miss any of it for the world. White Box may not all that fun but the dynamic between Patsy and Eddie (which the series is based on) is still there, and that's what also counts for me.

True, both Edina and Patsy are cruel to Saffy but it does have a reason. Edina just doesn't know how to deal with her as Saffy makes her feel insecure and stupid. I think Eddie sometimes is ashamed of herself, but she just never learnt how to deal with those emotions. Patsy, on the other hand, seems badly damaged by her past and treats others as she used to be threated by her mother. Did you ever notice how the only people she is kind to are the people who take care of her? Gran took care of her as if she were her second daughter and Edina has always supported her as a friend.

I've put much thought into this series so I might be taking this a bit too far...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 09 Apr 2010, 19:17

Mara wrote:I have to agree, but that's two not-so-very-great specials against five terrific series. I agree that Jennifer pushed the boundaries over the line, but I think you're giving her too little credit if that's your reason for not being able to watch AbFab anymore. I think it was a wise idea to call it a day after five series, but I would never have wanted to miss any of it for the world. White Box may not all that fun but the dynamic between Patsy and Eddie (which the series is based on) is still there, and that's what also counts for me.

True, both Edina and Patsy are cruel to Saffy but it does have a reason. Edina just doesn't know how to deal with her as Saffy makes her feel insecure and stupid. I think Eddie sometimes is ashamed of herself, but she just never learnt how to deal with those emotions. Patsy, on the other hand, seems badly damaged by her past and treats others as she used to be threated by her mother. Did you ever notice how the only people she is kind to are the people who take care of her? Gran took care of her as if she were her second daughter and Edina has always supported her as a friend.

I've put much thought into this series so I might be taking this a bit too far...

I understand the dynamics behind both Patsy and Eddie's actions--both are very sad characters. Patsy has never been treated well or loved by anyone in her family, and latches onto anyone who shows her some affection. She hates Saffy because she sees her as competition for Eddie's attention and affection. Eddie, on the other hand, has been screwed up by her mother a fair bit, but is generally decent--she wants to be a good mother, but is at a bit of a loss as to how to do it, not having had much in the way of a role model (her mother is sweet to Saffy, but pretty dotty and tends to hold Eddie at arm's length and nitpicks). Eddie's biggest failing is that she's weak-willed, and easily swayed by strong personalities, like Patsy's, right from when they're kids. Thus the dynamics are dysfunctional, with both Patsy and Saffy wanting a piece of Eddie, and Eddie unable to take a stand and draw the line. What I liked about Cold Turkey was that there seemed tobe some growth with all three characters--Saffy sees that Patsy's just starved of love, Eddie seems to want to be a better mother and to stand up to Patsy, and Patsy realises that she actually has a ready-made family right there to support and love her if she just quits lashing out. The end of that episode is just gorgeous, because there seems to be resolution, hope for growth for the characters, and a sense that maybe they'll cgo on to better things. White Box smashes all that and goes back to the old standbys. All growth lost. I know how it ends, so the process now seems depressing, not hopeful. Saffy's never going to get a break. Eddie and Patsy are never going to get anywhere. That's it.

Part of it is that I've had people be cruel to me and people I love, so watching Saffy getting kicked just drags up bad memories. But part of it is that I only ever watched AbFab casually, so something like that is enough to make me not want to give it a rewatch. It means more to you, so I can understand your strong feelings about it 100% . I know when one of my favourites comes in for criticism, I'm automatically on the defensive, and I'm certainly not trying to trash it or undermine your own feelings. I'm not saying it's a bad show or anything of the kind. In the end it's down to personal tastes, and no one's really right or wrong. It's just that, in my opinion, it was a bad way to end the show.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 08 Jan 2012, 20:08

Reliving my love for screen capping:

:lmao:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Jan 2012, 18:19