Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The specials

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 11 Mar 2009, 18:56

The specials

When I was very little, long before I knew about the Avengers or TNA, my mother used to occasionally watch AbFab. I quite clearly recall walking by and catching a piece of one episode on TV while she watched. Patsy and Edie had gone skiing, and I quite clearly remember Patsy not managing to get off the chair lift in time, and ended up going round and round until eventually it stoppped. I remember thinking it was hilarious because she was stuck up there and still drinking.

About three years ago, I rented AbFab tapes from my library, and eventually cycled through the entire series, and never found this scene anywhere. Now, I haven't seen all the specials, so it might be in there, but I'd just like confirmation that I didn't imagine it all. I was very young so it would have been in the early nineties, probably one of the first 2 or 3 years of the series. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Mar 2009, 19:07

Re: Question

Yes! It's their special from 1996 called 'The Last Shout'.
This was supposed to be the end of the series, until Jennifer resurrected it in 2001.
It's a brilliant one, I absolutely love it :lmao:

Here's the skiing clip you mentioned:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yr6X1M7r9w

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Mar 2009, 19:14

Oh, yes, that's it! (Timing makes sense. I've heard this was supposed to be the end, but obviously it wasn't). Thanks! I thought it was so funny because I am a skier and my dad used to take me skiing all the time, and I couldn't imagine what would happen if you just stayed and went round and round on the lifts. Now I know I'm not making up childhood memories. :w00t:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 11 Mar 2009, 19:24

''Eddie! I'm going round again!'' :lmao:

Haha, yes, definitely the Last Shout special, filmed around the time of series three. I don't have it on DVD, but I'm pretty sure I can find a download link for you somewhere...

Anyway - we'll just leave this topic open for more questions!
<<

Philippa

Post 11 Mar 2009, 19:27

I bought my dvd on Amazon about 2 years ago now. Absolutely brilliant.
I went skiing exactly a year ago, and whenever I was in a ski lift, all I could think was: I'M GOING ROUND AGAIN!!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Mar 2009, 19:45

One of my childhood fears was that I would get stuck on the lift and end up recirculating as well, so it really resonated with me (still does, I guess. Especially when you lose a ski halfway up the hill!)
<<

dusky

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 11 Mar 2009, 19:56

The Last Shout is brilliant - apart from the ski lift bit, you've got Eddie almost dying, Patsy and Eddie having a massive fight, Saffy getting married... I have it on video (showing my age!) and I think I might watch it tonight now!
<<

Philippa

Post 11 Mar 2009, 19:58

Aw, the good ol' days of video, how I miss those. I remember when I first heard of dvds, I swore I would never get used to them. How wrong was I :lol:

And yeah, The Last Shout has got it all! It's absolutely brilliant. I really feel like watching it too now, but I left the dvd at my parents' house in France, so I'll have to go without for a while I'm afraid..

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Mar 2009, 22:08

Ah, videos... Last time tried watching those must be ages ago, the quality gets really bad after a few years..

I'm not really a huge fan of the Last Shout though - it has got some funny scenes, but I prefer the actual episodes about the specials.. (although I must say the 'Sue Lumley'-joke is hilarious)

Anyway - since this topic is more or less about the LS, I'll just make this a thread for the AbFab specials. :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Apr 2009, 21:57

Re: The specials

Best Patsy moments from the Last Shout:

(This always has me in tears...)

And one for the morning.. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 15 Jun 2009, 12:18

Anyone else here who thinks White Box is one of the weakest episodes they ever did? It sort of ruins it after the warm and fuzzy feeling you get after seeing Cold Turkey. (which is the best special ever) I personally think there's only one AbFab-worthy scene in the whole special, and that's the one in which Saffy kicks Eddie and Pats out of her house.

I rather prefer the actual episodes to be honest. (as I'm not too fond of The Last Shout either...)
<<

Philippa

Post 15 Jun 2009, 12:34

I think Gay was a brilliant special, and the best one.
I think you really have to place The Last Shout in its time, which is 1996, before series 4 or 5 ever existed. It was supposed to be the end of the show forever, and they were going out with a bang, so in that perspective it's not bad at all. It has many enjoyable scenes, like you've shown in the screen caps above.
As for White Box, I remember not really liking it that much when I first saw it. But after buying the dvd and watching it a few times, I started loving it. It is true that it sort of ruins the fuzzy warm feeling of Cold Turkey, but it's still very much AbFab, and it has some great scenes.
I love it when Eddie gets regressed, and Patsy walks in.
We've met before. Pablo?
Ah, buenos dias!
:lmao:

But I agree, looking at the specials, White Box is the weaker one, but still very much enjoyable in my opinion.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 15 Jun 2009, 12:41

Alright, two funny scenes then, I totally forgot about Joanna's little flashback therapy! That one still has me in tears... ''But it is alright if I smoke?'' Genius. :lmao:

Hm, I do like Gay actually, but compared to some of the episodes, I don't think it's really that special either. But compared to Edina and Patsy's adventure in NY in series 3, nothing is, I'm affraid. As for the Last Shout, you might be right about the time perspective, but even then I think Jennifer could have done so much more with it then Saffron's wedding and a trip to France. It always makes me laugh to read back all those old interviews, in which Jennifer clearly states there will be ''no more AbFab'' and that ''series 3 was the end''. Little did she know!

And Cold Turkey? Brilliant, from the beginning till the end. (my all-time favorite AbFab episode, the scene of Eddie picking Pats up in hospital is the cutest thing ever)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 15 Jun 2009, 17:06

Maartje wrote:Anyone else here who thinks White Box is one of the weakest episodes they ever did? It sort of ruins it after the warm and fuzzy feeling you get after seeing Cold Turkey. (which is the best special ever) I personally think there's only one AbFab-worthy scene in the whole special, and that's the one in which Saffy kicks Eddie and Pats out of her house.

I rather prefer the actual episodes to be honest. (as I'm not too fond of The Last Shout either...)

I hated White Box. It undid everything that had been built up in Cold Turkey, and just made it all rather hopeless and depressing. And it wasn't terribly funny, either. I sort of wish they'd quit while they were ahead. I used to watch Cold Turkey at Christmas because it gave me a boost. Now I know how things end, I've never been able to watch it or any episode ever again. It sort of ruined the series for me, to be honest. :no:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 Apr 2010, 10:15

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Now I know how things end, I've never been able to watch it or any episode ever again. It sort of ruined the series for me, to be honest. :no:

It almost seems as if Jennifer wants to end on a special: first we had Last Shout (which was supposed to be the last one ever) and then White Box came along... I have bought both on DVD, but I have got to say I'm not a great fan of either of them. Last Shout is saved by Joanna who has some extremely funny lines and scenes in it, but I'd say Jennifer tends to take it a bit too far with those specials.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Apr 2010, 10:52

I like White Box, but can understand why it is a disappointment. It is available on Region 2 DVD anywhere?
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Philippa

Post 09 Apr 2010, 14:00

Apparently it's available on Region 2 in France, but not in the UK.
I myself have got a Region 1 DVD and I believe Maartje has Region 4.

<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Apr 2010, 15:21

Right, so would it have the French subtitles on constantly then?
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 Apr 2010, 15:43

Philippa wrote:Apparently it's available on Region 2 in France, but not in the UK.
I myself have got a Region 1 DVD and I believe Maartje has Region 4.

That's about right yes. I bought my copy of White Box in Amsterdam but it was Philippa who pointed out to me it was the Australian release. None of my DVD players at home plays it I'm afraid, but my laptop (luckily) does.

I think you'd be able to switch the French subtitles off, I do that all time when I'm watching my box set. (which, of course, has Dutch subtitles) You'd have to ask Esther though, I think she knows.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Apr 2010, 16:09

Okay, cool, thanks Mara. That's the only DVD of Ab Fab I haven't got and I would like it to complete my collection.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 Apr 2010, 16:19

Laura wrote:Okay, cool, thanks Mara. That's the only DVD of Ab Fab I haven't got and I would like it to complete my collection.

Haha, that's why I bought mine as well. I can only play it on my laptop and it was pretty expensive, but I just had to complete my collection.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Apr 2010, 16:45

Hehe :happy: How much did it cost you?
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 Apr 2010, 17:33

20 euro, which is quite expensive since it is only a special. (in comparison: the seperate series cost about 10 euro each over here) Ah well, at least I can say my collection is now complete. I'm sure you should be able to find a second hand copy on Ebay though!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Apr 2010, 17:38

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Now I know how things end, I've never been able to watch it or any episode ever again. It sort of ruined the series for me, to be honest. :no:

It almost seems as if Jennifer wants to end on a special: first we had Last Shout (which was supposed to be the last one ever) and then White Box came along... I have bought both on DVD, but I have got to say I'm not a great fan of either of them. Last Shout is saved by Joanna who has some extremely funny lines and scenes in it, but I'd say Jennifer tends to take it a bit too far with those specials.

I don't like White Box because it undoes all the hope that was seeded in Cold Turkey. They should have just left it there. White Box leaves me feeling that the show and all the characters are trapped in a flood of hopelessness and despair, and it's never going to get better for any of them. That's not a nice way to end a series in my book. :no:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 Apr 2010, 17:42

Yes, I see what you mean. It all ends in this big fight between, with the last ever scene being Patsy and Eddie homeless. I can really handle a lot of things on shows, but I didn't like Edina slapping her grand child in the face: it's just out of character and not funny.

Don't get me wrong, AbFab is still the best television show I have ever seen but I do try to be critical every now and then. (to make sure I don't get too much carried away by the fact that both Jennifer and Joanna are in it, haha)
Next

Return to Absolutely Fabulous