Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The ''Still Alive'' tour

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 07 Jun 2009, 15:49

The ''Still Alive'' tour

Time to bring back some good memories in this topic for the Still Alive tour from last year (all around the U.K.) and the upcoming dates in Australia and NZ!

I must say the 15th of October 2008 was one of the best nights of my life. I'd been looking forward to it for months, and Jennifer and Dawn were amazing - I laughed till I cried:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 08 Jun 2009, 18:14

Re: the Still Alive tour

Wouldn't you just wish you could travel back in time?

Remember Madonna, the girls at the bus stop and Dawn's medical check-up? :cry:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 15 Jun 2009, 11:58

The comedy goddess!

''Huge show, huge show. It was a transatlantic success, I was a cult!''
''Oh, no one's doubting you're cult Jennifer, no one's doubting that at all.''

:lol:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 15 Jun 2009, 12:24

BOW DOWN, BOW DOWN!
Dawn French, comedy midget
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 15 Jun 2009, 12:34

''ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS! You've embarrassed me know, I had to say it!''
''Oh, I'm sorry! What a lovely little show that was!''

:lmao:

I screamed my lungs out when she mentioned AbFab, haha!
<<

Froggie

Obsession

Post 26 Jun 2009, 08:37

Someone from the Jennifer forum has found some informations about the Still Alive tour in Australia on twitter.
It seems the woman who posted these infos works in the F&S's staff : she says F&S have added a Mamma Mia skecth with Joanna and she posted those pictures: :lol:

http://twitpic.com/photos/mothompson
<<

Philippa

Post 26 Jun 2009, 10:17

OMG Noooooo, that's unfair!!! How can they add an extra sketch just for Oz and NZ?!
Of course that's going to be so cool for the people who are going, but naturally we'd all want to see that too.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Froggie

Obsession

Post 26 Jun 2009, 10:56

Maybe they've changed a few skits because some of them are based on british stuff the Australians wouldn't understand.
If they change things in the show, I hope they will release an australian show dvd
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 26 Jun 2009, 13:45

No! They can't perform Mamma Mia! there, that is so highly unfair! *cries* Of course it's fabulous for all the Australian lucky ones who are going - how I would love to swap places with them at this very moment...

But the MM! sketch: it's that why they've created an Joanna doll? I've seen the pictures on Twitter: it looks so funny, haha! They absolutely must release a DVD of the Australian tour!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 29 Jun 2009, 19:59

Apparently, Joanna is in the Still Alive tour! :lol:

Then the statue of joanna lumley came down on wires, it was life size which was awesome, and dawn was sort of puppetting her which was hilarious.

Bloody hell, the amount of money I'd have been willing to pay to see THAT... They absolutely must release a DVD of the Australian tour!
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Jul 2009, 18:20

From the Sydney Morning Herald:

DAWN FRENCH and Jennifer Saunders launched their double-act in 1980 in a strip-club in London's Soho. Two females on the alternative comedy circuit was not unheard of but hardly the norm at the time.

Thirty years later, their farewell show to decades of trail-blazing work is a celebratory pick-and-mix of sketches, celebrity parodies, film excerpts and mock bickering from a couple of dames entrenched in comedy's history.

The pair start things off as their onscreen selves: bickering and competitive friends, one full of chutzpah and cheek, the other all-knowing and slightly world-weary. The familiar "white room" appears - mantelpiece, bubble-wrapped couch - for French's health check from Saunders's slapdash doctor before the pair perform the first sketch they wrote together.

Few actors in their early 50s could swing from playing two misguided 15-year-olds discussing sex ("By now the todger is this big") to grannies hooning on motorised scooters, ageing Britons living large in Florida and the poignant private school boarders contemplating Christmas alone.

French, always happier than Saunders to look an audience in the eye, enters the front rows with a chocolate-searching instrument to find sweets alongside nits, rodents and cobwebbed nether regions.

Saunders follows with groiny thrusts and dizzy narcissism in her merciless parody of Madonna, the celebrity who, the pair love to explain, consistently refused to appear on the show.

A running joke about rivalry and their solo careers produces the mother and daughter sketch they wrote that inspired Absolutely Fabulous and a towering visit from the Rev Geraldine Granger from the Vicar Of Dibley. Less strong is a visit from the inhabitants of Prickly Farm.

French and Saunders say they're bowing out because such comedy is a young person's game. The pressure to create perfect, catchphrase-inducing, high-ratings comedy now could never foster such potent, pioneering and enduring silliness.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Jul 2009, 18:25

Well, that sounds rather positive, doesn't it? It might be a really hard act to follow if you're not really ''into'' the classic F&S jokes, because the whole show is mainly based on old material. (only the Mamma Mia! sketch is new, in fact) So I think that explains the criticism they received, for which, you can't blame them, of course. I agree that the show is about silly slapstick really, and I wouldn't say it works as a one show, but if you have an idea of what their shows used to be like, then this is hilarious.
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jul 2009, 16:07

I'm dying to see the Mamma Mia sketch they've added to the show. Does anyone know if it's been recorded and put on YouTube or anywhere?

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 26 Jul 2009, 15:28

Someone risked their life to take this picture:

I so badly want that doll when the Still Alive tour is over! :lolol:
<<

Philippa

Post 26 Jul 2009, 15:39

Ahaha is that AJ's picture?

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 03 Aug 2009, 13:31

I don't remember - it was posted on the JS forum, so I saved it to my files...

Anyway - in all the reviews the Mamma Mia! sketch is referred to as a highlight, not to mention the dozens of fans who said it was the funniest bit in the whole show. Someone has been so kind to partly record the sketch and posted it, so I had a really good laugh when ''mrs Joanna Lumley'' came down from the ceiling, dangling by a few strings, haha.
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 05 May 2010, 17:24

Mara wrote:Someone risked their life to take this picture:

I so badly want that doll when the Still Alive tour is over! :lolol:

:lmao: :lmao: Just seen this picture. I love it.

Return to Absolutely Fabulous