Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Unpublished Fiction

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 17 Jan 2009, 19:02

The Unpublished Fiction

All right, so I've decided to make some of my previously unavailable stories available on this forum for your reading pleasure. These are fics that haven't been uploaded to fanfiction.net for a variety of reasons. Many because I haven't posted far enough into my arc for them to really make sense. Some because the idea didn't quite gel or fly as much as I would have liked in terms of my shorts. Some because I've plain forgotten about them, and I wasn't certain how they'd be received. Anyway, each one has its own context and it's own reasons. Pretty much all of these are shorts, though. I have very few "long" stories that won't eventually be posted.

To start things off, we have "Rumours," which was an answer to a request by Philippa. It sort of went off on a tangent from the proposed topic, though, which is why I haven't released it sooner. More in the author's notes. Enjoy it for what it is:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd5pwt2r_15cg47nhf3&hl=en
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 17 Jan 2009, 19:04

Re: The Unpublished Fiction

Very nice! I'll start reading tonight (after dinner) and of course I shall let you know what I think!
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Jan 2009, 19:08

Ooohh thanks! I'll start reading after dinner aswell, I'm really curious :grin: :squee:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Philippa

Post 17 Jan 2009, 20:20

I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT :heart: :wub: :claps: :cloud9: :hypnose:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Jan 2009, 20:22

Philippa wrote:I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT :heart: :wub: :claps: :cloud9: :hypnose:

Count me in as well! :heart:

I usually put my mp3 player on shuffle while I'm working on my laptop, and Bryan Adams's 'Everything I Do (I Do For You)' was just playing:

Look into your heart - you will find
There's nothin' there to hide
Take me as I am - take my life
I would give it all - I would sacrifice

How cute is that? :wub: (great song for a fanvid by the way...)
<<

Philippa

Post 17 Jan 2009, 20:27

^That is so cute! :wub:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Jan 2009, 20:35

Can I just add that I think it's a great choice not turning it into a hot and steamy sex story? Cos that is something that a lot of fanfic writers don't get (I think): a romantic story can be just as interesting. In this case it just won't suit the relationship as we see it in the actual show, and the fact that you choose not to write that way, makes it so much realistic...
<<

Philippa

Post 17 Jan 2009, 20:41

^I completely agree! It would definitely not suit them as a, well lets just call it a couple, and it would be a complete misfit regarding the tv series.
This is definitely the perfect way, and in my opinion the only way to describe any Purdey/Gambit romantic involvement :wub:

And Maartje, I think we're both thinking the same thing regarding romantic stories that go too far ;)

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Jan 2009, 20:42

Philippa wrote:And Maartje, I think we're both thinking the same thing regarding romantic stories that go too far ;)

Haha, I think we do, yes. (and we both know why) ;)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Jan 2009, 06:13

Charm wrote:Can I just add that I think it's a great choice not turning it into a hot and steamy sex story? Cos that is something that a lot of fanfic writers don't get (I think): a romantic story can be just as interesting. In this case it just won't suit the relationship as we see it in the actual show, and the fact that you choose not to write that way, makes it so much realistic...

I'm guessing you guys have had some bad experiences with fics in other fandoms? I've had a few myself.

I'm glad you guys liked the story. I try to keep things pretty offscreen if anything's going to be going on at all. Most of my fics don't have Purdey and Gambit in a relationship because most of the arc is about getting them to that point. Some of the later stories will be heavier into the romance, which you'll see if I ever finish them all and get them posted. But most fics are funnest when the authors nail the character interaction. I've read line I could never hear Steed and Emma saying in a million years, and that tends to ruin the story for me.

Anyway, there are more stories to come--more than I remembered, actually. If you don't mind a little more offscreen romance, or stories set a couple decades or so after the show, then you should have fun. Yes, I've written a few with Purdey and Gambit older. Stay tuned... :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Jan 2009, 16:26

^I'm very excited to read more stories, especially stories where Purdey and Gambit are older :grin:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Jan 2009, 17:35

Today's bit is a short I wrote awhile back and had pretty much forgotten about until a week or so ago. It revolves around the scene in "Angels of Death" where Steed and Purdey are about to be crushed in the maze. I decided I wanted to see if I could put a fresh spin on it than the way it's normally construed. The result is this, "Confession," and I'm quite proud of it: :grin:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd5pwt2r_16fqjm2vpj&hl=en

There are three fics revolving around Purdey and Gambit's older years and certain milestones in their lives. Perhaps I'll get to those next.
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Jan 2009, 17:55

You wrote it down exactly the way I imagined this moment! For some reason I knew, when first watching the episode, that Purdey would confess something to Steed about having a crush on him.
Really great, this one, I love it :grin: :wub:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Jan 2009, 18:18

A Purdey/Steed fic, sounds promising.. I'll start reading tonight! ;)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Jan 2009, 18:21

Philippa wrote:You wrote it down exactly the way I imagined this moment! For some reason I knew, when first watching the episode, that Purdey would confess something to Steed about having a crush on him.
Really great, this one, I love it :grin: :wub:

Yes, well, it's pretty obvious she told him something, but as a Gambit fan, of course I had to see if I could add something plausible about him. And I think I did. :wink: I do think Purdey is more enamoured with the idea of Steed than anything, and that at some level she knows it's just hero-worship. Whereas Gambit gets under her skin...

I'm glad you liked it. Lessee, should I post another one today or spread 'em out?
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Jan 2009, 18:50

More more more :squee:

I know, I'm being very child-like, but your stories are a lovely and welcoming change after so much revising!

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Jan 2009, 19:04

Philippa wrote:More more more :squee:

I know, I'm being very child-like, but your stories are a lovely and welcoming change after so much revising!

Alrighty, have another one. Then I have to go do some work myself. :wink:

Here's one with an older Purdey and Gambit, as I mentioned earlier. "Changing of the Guard":

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd5pwt2r_18hmct58cg&hl=en
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Jan 2009, 20:16

This was definitely a great story!
It's always nice to read additional stories that are set during a tv series, but I definitely prefer stories that are set after the tv series ends. Because that's when you can really let your imagination run free. I love this whole set-up of Purdey and Gambit being in a conversation, and as you go along you find out more and more about what happened in the past. And the idea of Gambit following in Steed's footsteps, that's probably something many people have thought about, but that he doesn't want to do it all by himself, but rather wants to share his top position with Purdey. And that's exactly what's so different and incredibly sweet about this story :wub: :heart:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Jan 2009, 21:40

Great stories, especially the second, set after the TV show era.. It's exactly as I had imaged Purdey and Mike would finally end - happily ever after, with a couple of kiddies but still working for the Ministry. I completely agree with Phil that the idea of the Gambit talking over Steed's role is something a lot of people might have thought about, but adding the conversation between the two of them about sharing his position with her, was really a great add.

I'm looking forward to read more of your unpublished stories.. ;)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Jan 2009, 02:42

Philippa wrote:This was definitely a great story!
It's always nice to read additional stories that are set during a tv series, but I definitely prefer stories that are set after the tv series ends. Because that's when you can really let your imagination run free. I love this whole set-up of Purdey and Gambit being in a conversation, and as you go along you find out more and more about what happened in the past. And the idea of Gambit following in Steed's footsteps, that's probably something many people have thought about, but that he doesn't want to do it all by himself, but rather wants to share his top position with Purdey. And that's exactly what's so different and incredibly sweet about this story :wub: :heart:

Thank you! I have a couple more set post-series, and a few of my later arc stories are also set then as well (after "Brazil," in fact, there's only one more that takes place during the series' timeline). I tend to like to write stuff that takes place before, during, and after the series, which is really what my arc is about, tying everything together. But some of these are farther in the future than the arc ever gets. It's pretty obvious Steed means for Gambit to carry on in his stead, but I don't think he ever meant for him to do it on his own. That's why he brought Purdey in, and really, Purdey and Gambit are so wrapped up in each others' lives, I can see Gambit wanting her there to tell him when he's about to make a mistake (and Purdey needs Gambit to temper some of her more, uh, reckless moments as well). Besides, who wouldn't want to see Mr. & Mrs. Gambit sharing a double office and haggling over everything from national security to what colour to repaint the bedroom? :wink:

Maartje wrote:Great stories, especially the second, set after the TV show era.. It's exactly as I had imaged Purdey and Mike would finally end - happily ever after, with a couple of kiddies but still working for the Ministry. I completely agree with Phil that the idea of the Gambit talking over Steed's role is something a lot of people might have thought about, but adding the conversation between the two of them about sharing his position with her, was really a great add.

I'm looking forward to read more of your unpublished stories..

Yep, I can see Purdey and Gambit settling in together quite nicely, actually, complete with kiddies (in my little world they have five, btw. Purdey mentioned "five scruffy children" in "Target" and I just couldn't resist. :wink: Besides, I think Purdey'd be the most awesome--and lethal--pregnant woman on the planet :lol: ). I'm glad you guys enjoyed the fics, and the idea of them doubling up. It just seemed to make sense.

There will be more, I promise you.
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jan 2009, 12:55

Oh and I forgot to mention earlier, I love the idea that they named Emily after the car :grin:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Besides, who wouldn't want to see Mr. & Mrs. Gambit sharing a double office and haggling over everything from national security to what colour to repaint the bedroom? :wink:

Just the thought of that alone has me in stitches :rofl:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Yep, I can see Purdey and Gambit settling in together quite nicely, actually, complete with kiddies (in my little world they have five, btw. Purdey mentioned "five scruffy children" in "Target" and I just couldn't resist. :wink: Besides, I think Purdey'd be the most awesome--and lethal--pregnant woman on the planet :lol: ).

Oh I'm sure she would be!
And I noticed the "Target" reference, very nice :lolol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Jan 2009, 18:16

Philippa wrote:Oh and I forgot to mention earlier, I love the idea that they named Emily after the car :grin:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Besides, who wouldn't want to see Mr. & Mrs. Gambit sharing a double office and haggling over everything from national security to what colour to repaint the bedroom? :wink:

Just the thought of that alone has me in stitches :rofl:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Yep, I can see Purdey and Gambit settling in together quite nicely, actually, complete with kiddies (in my little world they have five, btw. Purdey mentioned "five scruffy children" in "Target" and I just couldn't resist. :wink: Besides, I think Purdey'd be the most awesome--and lethal--pregnant woman on the planet :lol: ).

Oh I'm sure she would be!
And I noticed the "Target" reference, very nice :lolol:

I figure their sense of humour is such that they's knowingly name the baby of the family after something that was always getting into one situation or another (did I mention she's the spitting image of Purdey? There's a little Gambit clone as well, but he's much older. And they named the eldest after a logical argument, which I thought was rather fitting :wink: ). Yes, I have it all figured out. See what "Target" made me do?

One of these days it'd be fun to write a story with Purdey expecting, and poor Gambit at the end of his rope because of her mood swings. She'd be more illogical than ever!

And I now have visions of them in their office, halfway through a debate about the drapes, and being asked what to do in a national emergency. A quick double take and one order later, and then "Do you think puce is a bit much for the living room?" :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jan 2009, 18:22

^Fabulous ideas :claps:
I can't wait to see how you are going to work that out to stories, sounds hilarious :lolol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Jan 2009, 18:43

Yes, I also noticed the (little) references to the Target episode, very nice!

And the plots for new stories sounds fab, I can't wait to read more.. :mrgreen:
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jan 2009, 21:09

I'm trying to imagine Purdey with out of control hormones, and it seems pretty hilarious!
Like you said Timeless, she'll be even more illogical than ever :lolol: :rofl:

Next

Return to The New Avengers