Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Upcoming projects

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 31 Dec 2010, 14:08

Upcoming projects

Here's the place to discuss projects that Joanna is working on that are yet to be released!

Her imdb.com page shows two new productions:
- This Beautiful Fantastic: its release date was supposed to be 2010 but I have a feeling that's not going to happen. :lmao:
- Late Bloomers, still in post-production and set for 2010. Isabella Rossellini is supposed to work on this project too!
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 10 Feb 2011, 13:31

Re: Upcoming projects

Dame Helen Mirren and Joanna Lumley are to summon up the "jolly hockey sticks" era for BBC Radio 4 with a season of classic girls' school tales.

The stories from the 1920s, 30s and 40s include Enid Blyton's The Cheat and will be broadcast over three days next month.

Actor Martin Jarvis - a familiar voice on the station - has directed the programmes.

Far from the thoroughly British nature of the tales, the actresses' busy schedules meant they had to record their stories in Los Angeles and New York.

Dame Helen will be heard voicing A Midnight Revel by Angela Brazil, dating back to 1925, while Joanna will read Blyton's 1947 story.

Also appearing in the short afternoon series, Good Show Clarissa, will be Cranford star Lisa Dillon who is reading Hilda Richards' 1939 tale Jemima Gets Them Guessing.

Joanna - who recorded her programme while working on Broadway - said: "Blyton had a very clear sense of right and wrong, and this short story is rather wonderful in the way the dilemma of being a cheat is resolved.

"I was at boarding school and I recognise the quietness of a dormitory when all the other girls are asleep, the face-reddening terror of being found out doing something wrong, and the absence of parental influence except as a distant memory of all that is decent."

The programmes are being broadcast on March 8, 9 and 10 at 3.30pm.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 Feb 2011, 14:29

Avengerdan wrote:Dame Helen Mirren and Joanna Lumley are to summon up the "jolly hockey sticks" era for BBC Radio 4 with a season of classic girls' school tales.

The stories from the 1920s, 30s and 40s include Enid Blyton's The Cheat and will be broadcast over three days next month.

Actor Martin Jarvis - a familiar voice on the station - has directed the programmes.

Far from the thoroughly British nature of the tales, the actresses' busy schedules meant they had to record their stories in Los Angeles and New York.

Dame Helen will be heard voicing A Midnight Revel by Angela Brazil, dating back to 1925, while Joanna will read Blyton's 1947 story.

Also appearing in the short afternoon series, Good Show Clarissa, will be Cranford star Lisa Dillon who is reading Hilda Richards' 1939 tale Jemima Gets Them Guessing.

Joanna - who recorded her programme while working on Broadway - said: "Blyton had a very clear sense of right and wrong, and this short story is rather wonderful in the way the dilemma of being a cheat is resolved.

"I was at boarding school and I recognise the quietness of a dormitory when all the other girls are asleep, the face-reddening terror of being found out doing something wrong, and the absence of parental influence except as a distant memory of all that is decent."

The programmes are being broadcast on March 8, 9 and 10 at 3.30pm.

Oh this is great news. Both Helen and Joanna.... I hope that we all will be able to hear that somehow.
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 10 Feb 2011, 14:45

I was brought up on Enid Blyton books. The Mr Twiddle books and the Famous Five especially - very olde school England. "Lashings and lashings of Ginger Beer!" (Five Go Mad In Dorset quote!)
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 Feb 2011, 16:45

Avengerdan wrote:I was brought up on Enid Blyton books. The Mr Twiddle books and the Famous Five especially - very olde school England. "Lashings and lashings of Ginger Beer!" (Five Go Mad In Dorset quote!)

O yes, Enid Blyton. I loved - and still do - the Famous Five. My neighbour kids and I used to play FF, I was George of course, my dog was Timmy. :lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Feb 2011, 17:36

Oh, how wonderful! :squee: I've never read the books, but I love the plays on Radio 4, so it'll be great fun to hear Joanna on the radio again. Thanks, Dandy. ^^
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 10 Feb 2011, 23:32

Yah! Thanks Dandy. :hyper:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Feb 2011, 00:08

Brilliant news, both Joanna and Helen! :squee:
My dad used to read the Famous Five books to me when I was little and I loved them all!

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Feb 2011, 06:29

Philippa wrote:Brilliant news, both Joanna and Helen! :squee:
My dad used to read the Famous Five books to me when I was little and I loved them all!

Oh that's nice from your dad! I only had the radio plays (on cassette or album) which I still hear from time to time. I just love them (will I ever grow up???? :lmao: )
<<

Philippa

Post 11 Feb 2011, 16:16

Haha no never grow up, it's no fun :lmao:

It'll be interesting to hear some Enid Blython stories in English since I only know them in Dutch.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Feb 2011, 18:19

Philippa wrote:Haha no never grow up, it's no fun :lmao:

It'll be interesting to hear some Enid Blython stories in English since I only know them in Dutch.

Do you know the Enchanted Wood, read by Kate Winslet? I think it's from Enyd Blyton, too, it's a wonderful story. Otherwise I know them only in German, too
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Feb 2011, 22:46

Sounds great! Both have lovely, distinctive reading voices
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 Jun 2011, 13:42

the abfabquotes posted a small article on Twitter with a lovely article (and a great shot from Joanna) from the Hello magazine where it is mentioned that Joanna will return to the stage in London in David Here's play "Plenty". so far I could only find out that the opening will be late 2011 in the US or UK (I'm for the UK, :lmao: ) but it also says that Rachel Weisz is supposed to be involved. Anyway, if someone has more informations, please post them. It would be too good to be true if Joanna would be on stage again this year. :wub:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 07 Jun 2011, 10:31

Sounds interesting Britta, thanks! :squee: Any play with Joanna in it is a play that I want to see. :lol:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 07 Jun 2011, 13:22

Maartje wrote:Sounds interesting Britta, thanks! :squee: Any play with Joanna in it is a play that I want to see. :lol:

me too, me too! It would be too cool to see her in London at least once a year, wouldn't it? :wub:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 07 Jun 2011, 22:07

LunaFive wrote:
Maartje wrote:Sounds interesting Britta, thanks! :squee: Any play with Joanna in it is a play that I want to see. :lol:

me too, me too! It would be too cool to see her in London at least once a year, wouldn't it? :wub:

Oh absolutely. Let's cross fingers. :thumb:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 08 Jun 2011, 06:23

I will!
<<

Philippa

Post 11 Jul 2011, 20:11

Ooh that's such exciting news! We'll need to plan another London trip methinks :grin:

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Jul 2011, 05:17

Philippa wrote:Ooh that's such exciting news! We'll need to plan another London trip methinks :grin:

agreed :lol: The thing is that Vanessa Redgrave, Mark Rylance and Sharon Gless are in plays during Oct-Nov/Jan also, it's soooo tempting, really!
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Jul 2011, 10:26

I just found a trailer for Late Bloomers on YouTube. Joanna is only in there for a millisec but it's promising!
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 08 Jan 2012, 15:14

I found this article very interesting as there is the mention of another travel documentary. I would love that.

Joanna Lumley wants Spice Girls in 'Absolutely Fabulous' movie
Published Sunday, Jan 8 2012, 11:06 GMT | By Colin Daniels

Joanna Lumley has said that she would like the Spice Girls to reform so that they can star in the Absolutely Fabulous movie.

Jennifer Saunders, who created the show and starred as Edina Monsoon, confirmed in December that she is definitely working on a movie version of the the hit BBC comedy.

The show returned recently for two Christmas specials, with Spice Girl Emma Bunton making an appearance in the New Year's Day episode.

"Jennifer is a great magnet," Lumley (Patsy Stone) told the Sunday Mirror. "She phones people up and they all just say, 'Any time'. It was lovely to have Emma in the Christmas special and it would be great to have all of the Spice Girls in the movie.

"It definitely won't be this year but it might be next. The reaction to the Ab Fab specials was extraordinary. It's very lovely to know there is still such a demand for it."

Lumley is also planning a new travel documentary following her previous efforts, Joanna Lumley in the Land of the Northern Lights and Joanna Lumley's Nile.

"I love it so much, it gives me a great chance to see how people in the world live who aren't just rich," she added.

Original link
<<

Philippa

Post 08 Jan 2012, 15:27

Another documentary? Great news :squee:
And the Spice Girls in an AbFab movie would be great haha.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 08 Jan 2012, 20:03

HAHA :lmao: I knew Jennifer was a fan (she's writing their musical) but it seems to have affected Joanna as well now. Oh dear..

If you wanna be my loverrrrrr...
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Jan 2012, 18:09

Mara wrote:HAHA :lmao: I knew Jennifer was a fan (she's writing their musical) but it seems to have affected Joanna as well now. Oh dear..

If you wanna be my loverrrrrr...

... spice up your world.... :whistle:

Should be fun!!!
<<

JoannaFan

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 10 Jan 2012, 06:47

I'm sorry, but the Spice Girls idea turns me completely off watching the movie. They had their heyday, please don't bring them back. When Baby Spice had babies, it was officially over :p
Next

Return to Other