Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

US remake

<<

CurlyWurly

Target

Post 02 Jun 2008, 12:31

US remake

News today that Kim Cattrall (Samantha from Sex In The City) is going to star in a US-remake of 'Sensitive Skin' on HBO :( Why, oh why, do the US have to remake everything !

Oh well, it might encourage people to seek out the original.

Kim Cattrall is to star in a new sex-themed comedy series from the broadcaster that first aired Sex And The City.

The show is based on Sensitive Skin, the Joanna Lumley-starring British series which aired on BBC Two, and is from The Sopranos writers Mitchell Burgess and Robin Green.

Cattrall will play a married middle-aged mother living in New York. Her character rediscovers her sexuality and begins wondering what she is doing with her life.

The actress - Samantha Jones in SATC - will executive produce along with Burgess, Green and Hugo Blick, who wrote and directed the UK original.

US cable channel HBO is said to be investing a significant amount of money in the Skin adaptation.

Digital Spy
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Jun 2008, 12:34

yeah i heard about this, thanks for posting ;)
i am so boycotting this ahaha. stupid american remakes of everything (no offence to our american lumley lovers here btw)

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Don'tQuestionMe

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 03 Jun 2008, 14:11

Jesus Christ Two! Why, oh why, must they make remakes of everything?! Why can't they just watch the originals and have new fresh ideas of their bloody own??!! All right, I could understand (but I still don't approve) of them doin' remakes of things from Japan and China and other countries where they speak another language and the culture is very different, but HELLO! WHY do remakes of BRITISH things?! It's the same bloody language, and it's not like the yankees wouldn't be able to understand British culture. OK, if they remade something very old that could need a brush-up, but Sensitive Skin was just made, for christ sake! And same goes for AbFab! Which luckily doesn't seem to go anywhere...
WHY DON'T WE JUST TAX THE STUPID PEOPLE?!?!
- Emma! Look! I've got etheric beam locators!

- No, Doctor, I'm afraid those are actual breasts.

- Are you sure? I think I can see the 'on' switch.
<<

Philippa

Post 03 Jun 2008, 14:17

^i agree with the issue :lolol:

i was just thinking, i might watch it once, just to see how bad it is. (don't know if i'll make it through a whole episode though :P)
and get really mad afterwards and send hate mail to Kim Cattrall and HBO

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 05 Jun 2008, 00:07

Ughhh!!! :x I utterly agree with everything you guys have said!! Tilda babe, I think the reason the Yankees steal all the Brits' ideas and regurgitate them is because they know full well that the British are superior to them in wit and humour, period. Of course they wouldn't openly admit to stealing all of their ideas from the British because then it would be like 85% of their entire TV industry would be fraudulent in a way.

Yeah, I predict this show will crash and burn... I mean, Kim Cattrall is great (and a fellow Canadian of mine), but I don't think this is the greatest role for her. Also there's the fact that Hugo Blick, the complete one-man band driving force behind Sensitive Skin is on board for this. I mean, maybe we'll all be totally wrong about this and be made to eat our words later, but still, this is quite leap of faith on his part, I think.

Anyway, we shall hold our breath and see how it turns out.

But yeah, for the record, I don't mind Kim Cattrall. I think she's cool 8)
No Room For Secrets
<<

Philippa

Post 05 Jun 2008, 08:00

yeah don't get me wrong, i like kim cattrall too, but i just don't think she's right for this role.
but the fact that hugo blick is involved in this remake, is kinda comforting...

<<

Don'tQuestionMe

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 06 Jun 2008, 14:07

I think it's weird that he's in it. I mean, why do the same thing twice? In such short time?
- Emma! Look! I've got etheric beam locators!

- No, Doctor, I'm afraid those are actual breasts.

- Are you sure? I think I can see the 'on' switch.
<<

Philippa

Post 07 Jun 2008, 11:41

i dunno. maybe it's really good (probably not :P)
or maybe he's doing it for the money, we'll probably never know

<<

Brooklyn Marcone

Donkey

Post 28 Jul 2008, 05:13

I am (unfortunately) American and I agree with you all. You cannot replace Joanna Lumley with Kim Cattrall... it's just sheer insanity. Why the US feels the urge to remake absolutely everything it sees is a complete mystery to me.

I refuse to watch whatever mess that HBO comes up with...
<<

Patsy4ever

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 03 Sep 2008, 06:33

Kim Cattrall is NO Joanna Lumley. No way, no how, no anything, period. As an American, la Lumley is perfection for this role and American producers don't want to give her her due rights. They always steal fabulous ideas from the Brits b/c they don't have an original idea in their little pea-sized brains. They always, steal from the most brilliant b/c they feel they can with their big bucks. Makes me want to get a bucket and puke and mail it to them priority US postage. They did it with "The Office", although I don't like Ricky Gervais, that new show based on the Australian show(Can't remember it's name), and now this.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 01 Oct 2008, 18:46

What's this all about?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1240998/

It says 'television' but at the same time 'movie connection'? Or are they just planning a movie with a similar name?
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Oct 2008, 20:48

^I'm guessing that's the American version they are planning, with Kim Cattrall.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Oct 2008, 21:08

American version? I read about that once.. I'm not entirely sure if that's a wise thing do to though. This British acting is so fine, and since Kim Catrall has the ultimate Samantha SatC image..

Ah well, let's see.. Shame though, I was hoping for a movie... :P
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Oct 2008, 22:42

^Yeah there's a different thread about this American version. It has a link to an article about it too, if you're interested.

<<

DiVicenzo

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 02 Oct 2008, 12:54

Charm wrote:American version? I read about that once.. I'm not entirely sure if that's a wise thing do to though. This British acting is so fine, and since Kim Catrall has the ultimate Samantha SatC image..

I think that they should just leave it alone - the Joanna version is perfect. Did you know Kim Cattrall is English? She's from Liverpool!
Barry
sic friat crustulum
<<

Philippa

Post 02 Oct 2008, 15:14

There's a separate topic for the US remake, where we can rant about it as much as we like ;)

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 02 Oct 2008, 17:28

Here we are.

DiVicenzo wrote:
Charm wrote:American version? I read about that once.. I'm not entirely sure if that's a wise thing do to though. This British acting is so fine, and since Kim Catrall has the ultimate Samantha SatC image..

Ah well, let's see.. Shame though, I was hoping for Joanna-movie... :P

I think that they should just leave it alone - the Joanna version is perfect. Did you know Kim Cattrall is English? She's from Liverpool!

Is she? I didn't know that! I do like Kim Catrall , but just like I said earlier: her Samantha-image might get in the way of this.. Anyway - does anybody knows something about the date of release? Did they start recording yet? Ah well.. I'm not entirely sure if I wanna see this - I'd miss Joanna as Davina.
<<

Philippa

Post 02 Oct 2008, 18:30

Yeah she's originally from Liverpool, but she moved to Canada when she was 1 or 2 years old.

<<

Philippa

Post 14 Oct 2008, 16:28

Re: US remake

Merged all the remake talk ;)

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Nov 2008, 12:56

More news:

Kim Cattrall will film a pilot for female midlife crisis drama series 'Sensitive Skin' next year.

Kim revealed she fell in love with the British version of TV show - starring Joanna Lumley - and plans to film a new version in New York.

The 52-year-old star said: "I saw the first series of it about two years ago and I fell in love with the writing and I met Hugo Blick, who created it.

"First of all we intended to do something else together which was completely different and fresh and new, and then I finally said to him - your schedule is so busy and my schedule is so busy, why don't we do a US version of 'Sensitive Skin'?"

Kim feels the show will appeal to female audiences who will be able to relate to the struggles it portrays.

She added to BANG Showbiz: "I feel that it's the right territory, talking about a woman going through a midlife crisis. I think we've heard enough from the men about this. I think it's much more fascinating to get inside of a woman's head and it's also going to be my executive producing debut, so I'm also excited by that."
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Nov 2008, 16:17

Thanks for the extra info Maartje.
But I still think this remake's a bad idea..

<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2009, 07:42

Re:

DiVicenzo wrote:

Yeah, you're right, she was born in England, but when she was like a couple months old, her parents moved to British Columbia, Canada and she grew up here :) So, she's English-Canadian hehe.

LOL Maartje, a movie version of Sensitive Skin would be SO cool actually!! But again, only if it was Jo as Davina :wub: I think making it with Kim Cattrall would be like making an Ab Fab movie and getting someone besides Jen to play Edina. It just don't fit!! :lol:

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to seeing what may or may not come of this new version of the series! We might all be pleasantly surprised! ;)
(for the record, I'm just being optimistic about it...I still think Joanna is the only person for it and the British version the only one for this series, but y'never know, right?)
No Room For Secrets
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Jan 2009, 13:03

Re: Re:

AbFabLaur89 wrote:LOL Maartje, a movie version of Sensitive Skin would be SO cool actually!! But again, only if it was Jo as Davina :wub: I think making it with Kim Cattrall would be like making an Ab Fab movie and getting someone besides Jen to play Edina. It just don't fit!

Only Joanna, please. Not only because she's a great actress, but I also think Davina was largely based on her. (see my other topic in this board) And indeed, an AbFab movie or a US version wouldn't work out either, and I'm still disappointed Jen agreed to it. (I really wonder what Joanna thinks about all this, since - as she said herself - the serie sort of ''saved'' her career...) Ah well, let them try. They won't be able to beat La Lummer and La Saunders anyway, the proof was the French version 'Absolument Fabuleux', wasn't it? I know, I'm ranting completely off topic, but I'm still pissed about it. (can you tell?!)

Back to Sensitive Skin now, I hope we'll hear some more about this soon.
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Jan 2009, 13:36

I do actually want to see this, because I think I can't have a real opinion about it without having watched it.
This doesn't make me change my mind though, in my opinion there's only 1 Sensitive Skin and that's the British version. There's no Davina but Joanna, and as Maartje mentioned, the Davina character clearly has some elements of Joanna's past (the modelling etc)
So I don't think it'll be any good, but I'm still curious (mainly to see how bad it is :P :lol: )

<<

Philippa

Post 27 Feb 2009, 23:27

That's odd, I've just checked Kim Cattrall's IMDb page, and there's nothing about Sensitive Skin there, although it has been confirmed that there's going to be a remake. I wonder when they'll start filming..

Next

Return to Sensitive Skin