Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Class Act fan fiction

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Jan 2012, 21:30

Class Act fan fiction

I took a break from work, and I've finally finished it! :dance: Yes, my first proper Class Act fic, much longer than the drabble I did before.

I did say it was going to be a crossover, though, and it is, this time with "Night and Day", a soap that ran from 2001-2003, and featured--you guessed it--Gareth. Yes, I'm crossing over Gareth and Joanna's characters again. :lol: I can't help it--it's the only way I can make up for the lack of projects they did together post-TNA. I've only seen a couple of clips of "Night and Day," though, so I've had to take some creative licence with Gareth's character. Doesn't matter, though--it's mostly about Kate and Class Act. It's set in 2001, so it tells you what Kate's been up to in the meantime. :yes:

Because ff.net doesn't have a category for either series, I've posted it at Archive of Our Own, which lets you create your own categories for things. You can read it here:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/329433

Hope you enjoy. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 29 Jan 2012, 21:36

Re: General Class Act talk!

Cool, you found time to finish your Class Act fic! I'll read it in a bit and report back afterwards :yes: :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Philippa

Post 29 Jan 2012, 21:54

Loved it Timeless, that was great! Left you a little review as well :whistle:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Jan 2012, 22:07

Philippa wrote:Loved it Timeless, that was great! Left you a little review as well :whistle:

Yay, thank you, Philippa! :hug: I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It was a tough one to write, because Kate, Jack, and Gloria are all new voices for me. Basically I just thought of it as three people who love each other, but express it by being really grouchy/bitchy/sarcastic with one another. But they all get what the other means in the end. :lol:

(Renata was by far the easiest to write. I don't know how long ducks live, but I trust six years is long enough for her babies to have babies. I'm sure Kate was just thrilled. :whistle: )

I think Kate and Jack are the king and queen of odd couples, but at the end of the series, I think it's pretty clearly implied that they're going to get together. When it comes right down to it, they both care about each other more than they'd ever admit. And really, Kate's rather vulnerable when it comes right down to it, and Jack's not as much of a loser as even he thinks. I'm sure Gloria gave them a kick up the backside, too--probably all the way up to the altar. That wouldn't stop them from insulting each other, though. :lmao:

Anyway, I'd like to think they'd figure their lives out in one way or another by the end. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and that you thought I got it right. It means a lot. :hug:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 30 Jan 2012, 01:05

Re: Class Act fan fiction

Poof! You've done it again Timeless, you've created a topic without knowing it :whistle: But seriously though, there is so little CA fanfic out there that it deserves its own topic (I'm reading your story now - back with a proper review later)

Edit: Ranata the third, I nearly spat out my tea over my keyboard. :lmao: It's funny to read a story by you about something else than TNA, but I have to say these characters fit you like a glove. You know their chemistry and your portrayal of Kate is exactly right. Well done!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Jan 2012, 14:27

Mara wrote:Poof! You've done it again Timeless, you've created a topic without knowing it :whistle: But seriously though, there is so little CA fanfic out there that it deserves its own topic (I'm reading your story now - back with a proper review later)

Edit: Ranata the third, I nearly spat out my tea over my keyboard. :lmao: It's funny to read a story by you about something else than TNA, but I have to say these characters fit you like a glove. You know their chemistry and your portrayal of Kate is exactly right. Well done!

I'm such a productive poster, even when I'm not looking. I don't know how I do it. :lmao:

I was wondering whether I should start a new topic, but as you say there isn't much CA fic out there. Perhaps this will inspire me to write some more? At the very least, I can put that drabble I did here. :yes:

I'm so glad you enjoyed the fic, Maartje. :hug: Renata the third was an early idea--lots of generations of duckies, and Gloria loves them all! Kate, less so. :lol:

It's a bit strange for me to write non-TNA stuff, too, if only because I'm so used to working with familiar voices, and these are completely new ones, especially since I haven't watched the show for a year and a half or so. Kate is particularly tough to do--she's like Gene Hunt in terms of the number of one-liners her dialogue demands. But as I wrote them, I felt like I was getting into the dynamics a bit, enough that I'd consider writing them again. I'm glad you feel like I got it right, though--it means a lot when other fans think it works. :yes: Thanks! :hug:

(Were you the one that left the kudos on the story this morning, btw?)
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 31 Jan 2012, 00:42

Timeless A-Peel wrote:(Were you the one that left the kudos on the story this morning, btw?)

How did you guess? :wink: I love kuddos and I figured that, since I was going to write you a mini-review here anyway, I might as well show my appreciation on the actual page as well.

But seriously - well done. If I had not known, I wouldn't have been able to tell that you're new to these characters. I wish more people would write CA fic :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 31 Jan 2012, 03:22

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:(Were you the one that left the kudos on the story this morning, btw?)

How did you guess? :wink: I love kuddos and I figured that, since I was going to write you a mini-review here anyway, I might as well show my appreciation on the actual page as well.

But seriously - well done. If I had not known, I wouldn't have been able to tell that you're new to these characters. I wish more people would write CA fic :yes:

Lucky guess? :wink: Well, Philippa had already reviewed, so that didn't leave many candidates. :whistle: It was much appreciated, though. :hug:

I'm so glad you thought I got it right. Tackling a new fandom for fic is always a bit nervewracking, especially when you let other fans read it, so good reviews are always a relief. I wish other people would have a crack at writing it, too, but I don't know if it's well-known enough. If I want more, I may have to write it myself. Why do I always pick the fandoms where that's true? :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 31 Jan 2012, 10:57

It's strange though isn't it, that some fandoms are so over-populated, and others are just non-existent. I had a browse through fanfiction.net the other day and stumbled across the 'games' section. There's even fanfic for games like Tetris(!), and I'm not even joking, so why the hell no Class Act fic? :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 31 Jan 2012, 11:27

I understand how it can be nervewrecking but on the plus side; if you want to take a break from writing TNA, there's always Katie and her lovely bunch. Variety is a good thing :wink:

Philippa wrote:It's strange though isn't it, that some fandoms are so over-populated, and others are just non-existent. I had a browse through fanfiction.net the other day and stumbled across the 'games' section. There's even fanfic for games like Tetris(!), and I'm not even joking, so why the hell no Class Act fic? :lol:

Because everyone was watching AbFab at the time? :lol: Seriously though - I wish all the AbFab writers had moved on to CA. Some of the fics for that show are really aweful, cringeworthy. I remember stumbling across Patsy/Saffy slash, argh. :hypnose:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 31 Jan 2012, 23:52

Philippa wrote:It's strange though isn't it, that some fandoms are so over-populated, and others are just non-existent. I had a browse through fanfiction.net the other day and stumbled across the 'games' section. There's even fanfic for games like Tetris(!), and I'm not even joking, so why the hell no Class Act fic? :lol:

It depends on a lot of things--mostly it's new shows that get the attention, just because they're more widely known/popular, so people are more likely to write for them. Older series tend to be forgotten, except for really "classic" series that stay in the public consciousness, like The Man from Uncle. If it's an older series and not particularly well-remembered, then you have a small pool of fans to begin with, and the likelihood of one of them wanting to write something is a lot lower. Particularly if you think there's no audience for it. The thing is, I rather like the small fandoms--everything you get in them is that much more special, because it's so rare, and there's way more room to play, because all the ideas haven't been done to death. I liked doing TNA because everything that could possibly be done with Steed and Emma had already been done, often in ways that were better than I would have done it, whereas with Purdey and Gambit I had free rein to play.

I've actually written for games, too--the Monkey Island series of adventure games--and there's some darn good games fic out there, but usually it's for games with really strong characters that you can write for. Tetris is sort of lacking on that front. :lol:

Mara wrote:I understand how it can be nervewrecking but on the plus side; if you want to take a break from writing TNA, there's always Katie and her lovely bunch. Variety is a good thing :wink:

Because everyone was watching AbFab at the time? :lol: Seriously though - I wish all the AbFab writers had moved on to CA. Some of the fics for that show are really aweful, cringeworthy. I remember stumbling across Patsy/Saffy slash, argh. :hypnose:

Don't tempt me--I'm seriously considering taking a crack at Kate again if I get a decent plot together. TNA will always be my favourite fandom to write for, but I do enjoy branching out and having some variety. It's fun and scary to tackle new characters, but usually they're ones I love, so I'm motivated. Guybrush Threepwood, Jason King, and Jake Doyle, I'm looking at you. :lol:

I've had a look at AbFab fanfic in the past, and seriously, most of what's floating around isn't terribly inspiring. I know I'm not the number one AbFab fan, but even I think that running around slashing Patsy and Eddy (or anyone else) goes against the very fibre of the series, not to mention flies in the face of characterisation. The non-slashy ones tend to consist of "and then Patsy fell over drunk," which, you know, is in character, but needs some sort of lead-up if you're going to get the comedy in there. Actually, AbFab is one of those series that probably shouldn't be written by anyone other than Jennifer Saunders--the tone is so wedded to the creator that, much like Douglas Adams and Hitchhiker's, anything else just doesn't work. I wrote fo Patsy in that one crossover fic, and man alive, was that hard. Characters like that are exchausting to write for, and require a lot of agonising over exact wordings. Most people don't have the patience to get it right, and the result betrays that.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Feb 2012, 18:46

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Don't tempt me--I'm seriously considering taking a crack at Kate again if I get a decent plot together. TNA will always be my favourite fandom to write for, but I do enjoy branching out and having some variety. It's fun and scary to tackle new characters, but usually they're ones I love, so I'm motivated.

I've always wondered what would happen if Kate and Jack got together - perhaps that's a new idea for you to play with? Gloria would be both disgusted and amused I think, just picture her as a bridesmaid. :lol:

They have some chemistry going on, and if CA had lasted for another two series, I think they would have ended up together in the end. Jack would have to get himself together and earn a living though - with Kate's habit of spending too much and Jack's binge drinking, they'd be bankrupt within a week haha.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Feb 2012, 18:55

Mara wrote:I've always wondered what would happen if Kate and Jack got together - perhaps that's a new idea for you to play with? Gloria would be both disgusted and amused I think, just picture her as a bridesmaid. :lol:

They have some chemistry going on, and if CA had lasted for another two series, I think they would have ended up together in the end. Jack would have to get himself together and earn a living though - with Kate's habit of spending too much and Jack's binge drinking, they'd be bankrupt within a week haha.

Me too. As I said, I think that near the end of the series, they sort of hinted that there was chemistry between them, and that they'd eventually end up together, which was why I had them married by the time of my fic. I suspect that Gloria would see it coming, and be of the "oh, just get on with it already, I'm getting impatient" opinion. :lol: But Gloria as a bridesmaid--oh, help, the mental image is too much. :lmao: She'd be the sourest looking bridesmaid if either them were lame about it. :lolol:

And I'd like to think that Jack would get his mess together, too--quit drinking and start writing again, so they actually had money (which Kate would instantly convert to clothes :lol: ). Really, the fic is one big wish fulfillment, the way I'd like things to work out. :wink: But I think there's enough sweetness between them that it'd happen, and I'd have enjoyed it. :wub:

Writing Kate and Jack getting together is tempting--can you imagine their first date? :whistle: (Which they'd probably be reluctant to actually call a date. :lmao: ) I have another fic idea that would sort of focus on their relationship, too... Darn it, Maartje, quit giving me ideas. :lolol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Feb 2012, 19:01

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Writing Kate and Jack getting together is tempting--can you imagine their first date? :whistle: (Which they'd probably be reluctant to actually call a date. :lmao: ) I have another fic idea that would sort of focus on their relationship, too... Darn it, Maartje, quit giving me ideas. :lolol:

They'd probably end up drunk. Jack would, anyway :lol: I imagine it would be a bit like that episode where they celebrate Kate's birthday in a fancy restaurant, and end up completely pissed. Gloria would not be amused, that's for sure.

But really, they'd make an nice couple. Perhaps a bit unusual, but they do care about each other and at some point during the series, I even felt they had reached a point where they would accept each other's flaws. Oh dear Kate and Jack, why did you ever leave us? :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Feb 2012, 19:14

Mara wrote:They'd probably end up drunk. Jack would, anyway :lol: I imagine it would be a bit like that episode where they celebrate Kate's birthday in a fancy restaurant, and end up completely pissed. Gloria would not be amused, that's for sure.

But really, they'd make an nice couple. Perhaps a bit unusual, but they do care about each other and at some point during the series, I even felt they had reached a point where they would accept each other's flaws. Oh dear Kate and Jack, why did you ever leave us? :lol:

You're probably right--really embarassingly drunk. So much so that they don't remember half of what went on (cue Kate accusing Jack of "taking advantage" of her). Naturally, Gloria would be royally annoyed--she'd probably be sitting at the next table, "babysitting." :lmao:

But in the end, you do hope they'd get it together, don't you? I agree--why did you leave us this way? :lol:

Return to Class Act