Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Watching the series

<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 05 Jun 2009, 20:11

Re: Watching the series

Don't miss it on Monday! It's gonna be "Target"!
<<

JadoreJoLumley

Donkey

Post 07 Jun 2009, 15:33

I've started watching TNA on BBC4 on a Thursday. I'm loving it. i saw emily for the first time and it was so random and slap stick, especially when purdy goes through the car wash and comes out looking perfect still. haha i love it.

if anyone has any recommendations for good episodes then let me know. i really want to eventually watch them all :wub:

Oh it's a small shoe....
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 07 Jun 2009, 15:55

Haha, Emily - that's a good one. Not really typical TNA, but the dialogues and some of the scenes are really good fun.

You want recommendations?! Well, Obsession is my all-time fave: it's almost entirely focused on Purdey, and we get to see some really good acting from Joanna's younger years here. Target I'd highly recommend too, just because of the amazing Lumley action scenes and the nice dialogues between Gambit and Purdey.

And then there is, of course, Trap, which is a good one for some teamwork, which was rare in the TNA era. And last but not least, one I'm quite fond of too is Sleeper. Good plot, but it has a funny ring to it.

I dunno if you're familiar with the previous Cybernaut episodes from the other eras? If so, you might want to watch the Last of Cybernauts as a bonus too. By the way - all the episodes are in the media, so you don't have to watch them all on Youtube.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 07 Jun 2009, 17:45

Recommendations? How bout all of season one? No? More specific? Okay then...

Target and Faces are must-sees for great Purdey/Gambit interaction. I also love Dirtier by the Dozen, House of Cards, the Midas Touch, and Last of the Cybernauts. Forward Base is a good Canadian one, Obsession and Dead Men are Dangerous are wonderfully emotional and sad. Any of those you're good with. Trap is kind of known as one of the worst eps due to a really bad diabolical mastermind. Better if you see some other stuff, first, because then you'll be better able to enjoy the good character interaction Maartje mentioned.

That should keep you busy. :happy:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 07 Jun 2009, 23:26

I agree with everything Maartje and Timeless just said :whistle:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 08 Jun 2009, 07:29

Philippa wrote:I agree with everything Maartje and Timeless just said :whistle:

Thank you. *bows*

No wonder your insane post count, I think I'm gonna go for the ''I totally agree'' replies in the future too! :lol: :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 08 Jun 2009, 08:33

Well it was late, I'd worked my butt off, and I had nothing useful to add.
Perhaps in the future I'll just use this:
:nothing:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 08 Jun 2009, 15:25

Haha I know babe, just teasing. :wink: Did you get my text by the way?

Anyway - I'm affraid I've got nothing to add to this topic either, as I'm very Emma Peel focused right now. Damnit, I'm spamming my own forum! :spam:
<<

JadoreJoLumley

Donkey

Post 08 Jun 2009, 17:14

I'm sure i have seen faces before. But thanks for the recommendations girlies. I shall try my hardest to watch them all :great:

Oh it's a small shoe....
<<

M-J;;W

Donkey

Post 11 Jun 2009, 18:22

Im FINALLY goin to watch Foward Base tonight :great:
BBC4 is showin it later soo will be good :D
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Jun 2009, 18:24

Have fun! And don't forget to let us know what you think. :wink:
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 11 Jun 2009, 19:17

Beware of the plastic swans !! :lolol:
<<

Philippa

Post 11 Jun 2009, 19:42

Yay for Forward Base! Have fun darling, and do let us know what you think of it :grin:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 26 Jul 2009, 13:53

I've been watching a lot of Avengers on Youtube lately, and I can't help but read the comments on the TNA videos as well. The comments are always rather positive or completely negative when it comes to Joanna's acting as an Avenger girl, which suprises me.

People can't seem to let go the image of Diana Rigg when they're watching the Avengers, and so the comparison between her and Joanna is constantly made, while they obviously played very different roles. I love both series a lot: they're different, but quite good.

Strange though that nobody seems to bother to compare Diana to Honor, who was - after all - the real first Avenger girl...
<<

Philippa

Post 26 Jul 2009, 15:44

Well it seems like both Honor and Diana can do no wrong, especially Diana. Linda got the most criticism I think, especially because she had to follow in the iconic footsteps of Diana. TNA got a lot of criticism in general, and I think people either loved it or hated it. Some people probably found Joanna very refresing, because she was so different from the other Avengers girls, and some people disliked her for that exact same reason.
What can I say, there's no pleasing some people :roll:

<<

Joris

Sweetie Darling

Post 26 Jul 2009, 21:18

Maartje wrote:I've been watching a lot of Avengers on Youtube lately, and I can't help but read the comments on the TNA videos as well. The comments are always rather positive or completely negative when it comes to Joanna's acting as an Avenger girl, which suprises me.

People can't seem to let go the image of Diana Rigg when they're watching the Avengers, and so the comparison between her and Joanna is constantly made, while they obviously played very different roles. I love both series a lot: they're different, but quite good.

Strange though that nobody seems to bother to compare Diana to Honor, who was - after all - the real first Avenger girl...

Yep, it's quite odd not to notice comments about a comparison between Honor and Diana. But I'm sure of one thing, those who criticize and idolate Diana are not British (They're from rest of Europe or American,...).
Honor embodies the 1st one in the UK and she still is !
She's the first Avenging lady for me and she's worth it ! ^^
Don't move or...I call the New Avengers rightaway !
<<

Philippa

Post 30 Jul 2009, 09:28

I feel really bad for not watching The Avengers. I'm in a total state of A2A obsession at the moment, and before that it was Sensitive Skin.
I guess I go through phases of watching one particular show all the time, but since discovering The Avengers/TNA I've never been through a phase of not watching it at all..

<<

Joris

Sweetie Darling

Post 30 Jul 2009, 14:50

Ahhh, no Avengers at all, for months, It's really painful. :cry:
Hope you'll watch them again soon. ^^
<<

Joris

Sweetie Darling

Post 02 Aug 2009, 15:11

I finished re-watching the first season this afternoon, I love TO CATCH A RAT with Gambit's anecdotes, what he was doing seventeen years ago ! And the "under cover" pun ! :lmao: And Purdey's reaction ! It's just delicious to laugh, these scenes are the best ones ever made, I think.
I also laughed a lot in DIRTIER BY THE DOZEN, when Gambit tries to warn Purdey that she's actually standing on a minefield, he suddenly shoots on the ground, then Purdey looks at him as if she was gonna kill him and says "Mike Gambit !". :lmao:
I was literally out of control, I couldn't breathe while watching THREE HANDED GAME with Gambit's jealousy, in his car while Purdey prefers teasing him by "flirting" with the other agent, in front of them. :lmao:

It was so good, really ! ^^
Last edited by Joris on 02 Aug 2009, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Philippa

Post 02 Aug 2009, 15:43

I love the "under cover" bit. The way Purdey rolls her eyes is hilarious :lmao:

<<

Joris

Sweetie Darling

Post 02 Aug 2009, 15:48

And when he answers "I was discovering sex !" :lmao: .

I remember that there's another excellent moment like this in TRAP, before Marty gets killed. Purdey and Gambit are observing the street and a guy and suddenly they began their little game. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 Aug 2009, 16:38

Philippa wrote:I love the "under cover" bit. The way Purdey rolls her eyes is hilarious :lmao:

She actually clicks her tongue a little in disgust, as though she's thinking "I can't believe I hang around with you." :lol:

Joris wrote:I finished re-watching the first season this afternoon, I love TO CATCH A RAT with Gambit's anecdotes, what he was doing seventeen years ago ! And the "under cover" pun ! :lmao: And Purdey's reaction ! It's just delicious to laugh, these scenes are the best ones ever made, I think.
I also laughed a lot in DIRTIER BY THE DOZEN, when Gambit tries to warn Purdey that she's actually standing on a minefield, he suddenly shoots on the ground, then Purdey looks at him as if she was gonna kill him and says "Mike Gambit !". :lmao:
I was literally out of control, I couldn't breathe while watching THREE HANDED GAME with Gambit's jalousy, in his car while Purdey prefers teasing him by "flirting" with the other agent, in front of them. :lmao:

It was so good, really ! ^^

I love Dirtier because it's our Gambit episode. Gareth does some great acting in it, particularly when Purdey's in the minefield. The terror and helplessness at being unable to do anything for her comes through in spades. And Gambit in a uniform is nothing to sneeze at either. :brows:

And Purdey teasing Gambit is always fun--you can tell he doesn't quite know what to do with himself to stop from throttling her. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Sep 2009, 20:06

I'm rewatching Hostage at the moment, it's been way too long. Excellent episode I'd say - it can't beat The Joker, but it's still quite good. It's in fact rather Gambit/Steed focused, and even though they do doubt each others loyalty, it shows that their professional relationship is based on mutual trust.

Bonus points for Gambit calling Pudey's mother, and basically forcing her to ask him to dinner, haha.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Sep 2009, 20:13

Maartje wrote:I'm rewatching Hostage at the moment, it's been way too long. Excellent episode I'd say - it can't beat The Joker, but it's still quite good. It's in fact rather Gambit/Steed focused, and even though they do doubt each others loyalty, it shows that their professional relationship is based on mutual trust.

Bonus points for Gambit calling Pudey's mother, and basically forcing her to ask him to dinner, haha.

I love listening to Purdey's mother being asked to dinner by Gambit--"Who is that?" She's got this hugely strident voice, just like her daughter. I love that they actually let you hear her over the phone. I always imagine when Purdey got home, she'd call her mother, and she'd be asked "What sort of friends do you have, dear? Strange men calling after you and then asking me out to dinner. Is there anything you'd like to tell me?" :lmao:

Poor Gambit gets the stuffing kicked out of him in this one, though--and has to deal with Steed betraying him. But oh, that smile Purdey gives him at the end. Sigh. :wub:
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Sep 2009, 20:35

I love how he casually mentions dinner when he's speaking to Purdey's mum :lmao:

PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers