Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Which episodes did you enjoy most?

<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 28 Feb 2009, 01:19

Re: Best episodes

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:You mean shirtless Gambit tending to his wounds? Yes, I'm partial to that myself... :drool:


That's the one I had in mind, yes. :whistle:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Well, it's Purdey's own fault. What more does Gambit have to do? Hit her over the head?


Well, if only he would do that.. :lol: (that could have been the 'little push' she needed!)


If Purdey saw him she'd probably tell him to stop whining and get on with it. Well, unless she felt like he was a brave boy, like in Last of the Cybernauts when she kissed his hurt hand. She needs to do something while he's still in one piece, though! At this rate he'll be in traction before she wises up.
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 28 Feb 2009, 01:21

Re: Best episodes

Well luckily she's hurrying up a bit more in your fics.

And btw, a shirtless Gambit, I'm not complaining either :brows:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 28 Feb 2009, 01:22

Re: Best episodes

Philippa wrote:Well luckily she's hurrying up a bit more in your fics.


If only she had done that in the actual series... :whistle:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 28 Feb 2009, 01:23

Re: Best episodes

I know, but you just can't have it all unfortunately.
Would have been fun though :whistle:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 28 Feb 2009, 07:18

Re: Best episodes

Philippa wrote:Well luckily she's hurrying up a bit more in your fics.

And btw, a shirtless Gambit, I'm not complaining either :brows:


I think we can all live with Gambit with his shirt off. :drool: Too bad Gareth Hunt wasn't big on the whole sex symbol thing. I also get the feeling they kept it to a minimum because it was a pain to keep covering up his tattoo. But I notice Purdey takes a good long look in Three-Handed Game so she's clearly just as interested. If she hadn't been so traumatized by Larry she probably would. Purdey and Gambit are the only couple from Avengerland I can realistically see leading their lives together and all the mundane everyday stuff that implies. It's so obvious she likes him and thinks he's dishy, but the ball's always in her court and she keeps putting it off. So yes, I'm giving her a bit of a poke in the right direction. The whole point of my arc is to show them gradually getting closer. The next fic will give it a major push, and then one after that...woo-hoo! :brows:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 22 Mar 2009, 11:01

Re: Best episodes

The 'Sleeper' episode, quite a great episode. The plot isn't really that good, but I love some of the scenes they made up, among - of course - probably my favourite Purdey scene from the whole show:

Image

Image

I wonder if that was actually based on her former career as a model... :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 22 Mar 2009, 16:39

Re: Best episodes

Well, when they started TNA, they filled shop windows with all these mannequins that looked like Joanna Lumley, so you never know. I think Joanna makes a pretty good mannequin, actually. :lol:

I always think it was a missed opportunity that Gambit didn't come by when she was holding the "Today's Biggest Offer" sign and start counting up the money in his wallet. "I'll take it. Don't bother with the wrapping." :lolol:

This one's just fun for lots of Gambit/Steed interaction for a change. Also, Charlie the Sparrow! Gambit's an animal lover. Can you say "Awww"? :wub:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 22 Mar 2009, 16:43

Re: Best episodes

Timeless A-Peel wrote:"I'll take it. Don't bother with the wrapping."


Haha! ''Today's biggest offer'', I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have had any objections against that. :d

And yes, you definitely can say an 'aw' to the relationship between Gambit and the sparrow, hehe. And don't forget to mention the pajamas joke, I loved that too. There is indeed a lot of interaction going on between the two men, but it's quite nice for a change.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 22 Mar 2009, 17:18

Re: Best episodes

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:"I'll take it. Don't bother with the wrapping."


Haha! ''Today's biggest offer'', I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have had any objections against that. :d

And yes, you definitely can say an 'aw' to the relationship between Gambit and the sparrow, hehe. And don't forget to mention the pajamas joke, I loved that too. There is indeed a lot of interaction going on between the two men, but it's quite nice for a change.


The only thing is, once he had her, he'd have to feed her, and I don't know if the Ministry pays enough for that. All Purdey does is eat, have you noticed? :lolol:

Oh, yes, Gambit's pajama-sending aunt! I love that bit, particularly the way they all fall out when he opens the door. From the looks of things, she doesn't just get them for his birthday, but Christmas and Easter, and maybe St. Patrick's as well. :lol:

I love the Steed/Gambit interaction, too. It's really nice to see them without Purdey in the mix. Gives a whole new dimension to their relationship. There's a hint of respect and friendship there. I like male friendships. I think they're more interesting in a lot of ways.
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 22 Mar 2009, 17:23

Re: Best episodes

Timeless A-Peel wrote:From the looks of things, she doesn't just get them for his birthday, but Christmas and Easter, and maybe St. Patrick's as well. :lol:


Haha yes - it's great to see some of his private life for once, like his home. We always get to see Steed's beautiful villa, Purdey's cute purple apartment, but there were hardly any scenes filmed in Gambit's home. Houses and rooms say a lot about one's character though, even if it's acted.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love the Steed/Gambit interaction, too. It's really nice to see them without Purdey in the mix.


Oh, absolutely. I'm glad they didn't decide to leave Purdey out of the whole episode though, but it's good to see the two men working together while she's on her own. (and she does a bloody great job, haha)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 22 Mar 2009, 17:33

Re: Best episodes

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:From the looks of things, she doesn't just get them for his birthday, but Christmas and Easter, and maybe St. Patrick's as well. :lol:


Haha yes - it's great to see some of his private life for once, like his home. We always get to see Steed's beautiful villa, Purdey's cute purple apartment, but there were hardly any scenes filmed in Gambit's home. Houses and rooms say a lot about one's character though, even if it's acted.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love the Steed/Gambit interaction, too. It's really nice to see them without Purdey in the mix.


Oh, absolutely. I'm glad they didn't decide to leave Purdey out of the whole episode though, but it's good to see the two men working together while she's on her own. (and she does a bloody great job, haha)


I would have loved to hear more about Gambit's family--other than the Irish granny, that's all we get. I'm guessing his home life wasn't too good, since he left at 14. :no: And I love his apartment, too. Everyone makes fun of it, but I love the lime green walls and all the stuff he's got knocking around--stereo, little lit alcoves, and that raised area in the back with his weapons collection and a drafting board. I think our Gambit's a little artistic. So you're definitely right--it hints at a lot about him, and yet Steed's hardly ever there.

Yeah, Purdey does a pretty good job on her own, even if she has trouble keeping her pants on. :lolol: I like the bit where she indulges in looking in the broken glass wearing the earring for a minute. Missing you modelling days, eh Joanna? Also the bit where Gambit breaks into the place with the beers. After he goes all technical about it, all he does is give it a kick. The smug look he gives afterwards is just priceless.
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Mar 2009, 00:09

Re: Best episodes

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I always think it was a missed opportunity that Gambit didn't come by when she was holding the "Today's Biggest Offer" sign and start counting up the money in his wallet. "I'll take it. Don't bother with the wrapping." :lolol:


AHAHAHA
Oh I'm sure Gambit would've loved that. And it would've made some good television too :lolol:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 23 Mar 2009, 03:04

Re: Best episodes

Philippa wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I always think it was a missed opportunity that Gambit didn't come by when she was holding the "Today's Biggest Offer" sign and start counting up the money in his wallet. "I'll take it. Don't bother with the wrapping." :lolol:


AHAHAHA
Oh I'm sure Gambit would've loved that. And it would've made some good television too :lolol:


I can just see it.

Gambit: "Damn, all I've got is a fiver!"
Purdey: "I'm insulted, but then you are mean, mean, mean. It doesn't matter. You could never afford me."
Gambit: "Do you take credit?" :lol:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Mar 2009, 08:53

Re: Best episodes

^I can totally see that happening :lol:

Perhaps an idea for a fic :whistle:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 23 Mar 2009, 15:10

Re: Best episodes

Haha, nice one! We should do something like a one-shot competition on the forum - I used to do that on some other forum, and it's actually quite good fun. You just basically tell someone else what you want her/him to write: you don't even have to write yourself, you can just give someone else a plot for a story.

Anyway. Back to the topic then - any suggestions of which episode I should watch today? :whistle:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 23 Mar 2009, 17:04

Re: Best episodes

Maartje wrote:Haha, nice one! We should do something like a one-shot competition on the forum - I used to do that on some other forum, and it's actually quite good fun. You just basically tell someone else what you want her/him to write: you don't even have to write yourself, you can just give someone else a plot for a story.

Anyway. Back to the topic then - any suggestions of which episode I should watch today? :whistle:


Oh, that'd be loads of fun, particularly if by "one-shot" you mean a short, like a ficlet or drabble (I already have too many ideas of my own for long fics! I'm trying to finish them all before I'm middle-aged :lolol: ). A lot of my drabbles on ff.net are from a thread on the old avengers.tv forum. If you held one here, I'd definintely be in. You're already tempting me with all these comments in discussions. :wink:

Lessee now, episode of the day. How bout Dirtier by the Dozen? Always a favourite of mine. Or Forward Base? Then you can look out for Gambit's sweet sentiments from the argument from last Tuesday. :great:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Mar 2009, 17:05

Re: Best episodes

How about 'Target' or 'Faces'?
Or am I being too obvious now :whistle:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 23 Mar 2009, 17:18

Re: Best episodes

Philippa wrote:How about 'Target' or 'Faces'?
Or am I being too obvious now :whistle:


Those are my two favourites. I think I've just about worn a whole through that DVD. :lol: I want to watch some TNA, actually, but I never have time these days. Darn.
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 23 Mar 2009, 17:32

Which episodes did you enjoy most?

Philippa wrote:How about 'Target' or 'Faces'?
Or am I being too obvious now :whistle:


Hm, I watched 'Faces' yesterday and 'Target' this weekend. Great minds think alike! :d

So, top fives here then! Which episodes do you enjoy most?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 24 Mar 2009, 00:43

Re: TNA Top 5

Maartje wrote:
Philippa wrote:How about 'Target' or 'Faces'?
Or am I being too obvious now :whistle:


Hm, I watched 'Faces' yesterday and 'Target' this weekend. Great minds think alike! :d

I think it's gonna be Obsession though, another of my favourites! I think my top five would be something like this:

1. Target
2. Obsession
3. Faces
4. Sleeper
5. Emily

How random is that?!


Oh, Obsession's good. Angsty, but good. Wait until you read my follow-up fic. :d

My top five would be (in no particular order):

1. Target
2. Faces
3. Dirtier by the Dozen
4. Last of the Cybernauts...?
5. Forward Base

But I'd throw in Obsession, Midas Touch, and To Catch A Rat as well.
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 24 Mar 2009, 01:12

Re: TNA Top 5

Oh a top 5, I'd have to think about that...
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 24 Mar 2009, 15:07

Re: TNA Top 5

Thanks for splitting Phil... :wink:

I can say I generally like the episodes involving a lot of Purdey most - she's the perfect character to play in this kind of shows. So naturally I'm a big fan of the 'Obsession' episode, but I think I prefer 'Target' just a 'lil bit more because we get to see a more personal side of the characters.

Oh, and of course the Cybernaut one, it's great, but I had to make a choice, and it just can't beat any of the other episodes in my top five.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 24 Mar 2009, 20:10

Re: TNA Top 5

Of course, I'm a Gambit fan (but you all knew that :grin: ), so the more of him there is, the more likely I am to enjoy it. That's part of the reason I love Dirtier by the Dozen so much--it's the only real "Gambit" episode we got. Purdey had Obsession, Steed had Dead Men. Gambit got left out (and neglected for much of season 2 until they sort of shook themselves out of it in the overseas episodes). I think the relationships between the characters sparkle most when he's around. That's the thing about TNA--you invest more in the characters and what they're doing. Always a good thing. Target and Faces really exemplify that. Purdey's great, though, because she's a little bit mad--maybe more so than Steed-- and a little bit broken and vulnerable. Which is where the nice relationships, especially with Gambit, come in.
<<

Joris

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 264

Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 18:48

Location: France

Post 02 Aug 2009, 20:41

Re: Best episodes

I'd suggest THE LAST OF CYBERNAUTS, CAT AMONGST THE PIGEONS and TARGET.

A sequel to the cybernauts ? Good job and excellent idea, Goff's introduction stays an entire mystery : why didn't they mention him in the first series ? Perhaps it was a way to show that there were still mysteries with the Emma Peel Era or perhaps it was due to the fact that they couldn't use references to the first series (due to copyrights, etc...)
I loved it, I was surprised when I watched it for the first time, when Kane goes to Purdey's apartment ! GOSH ! They destroy everything ! :lmao:

CATP rocks !
We never notice the birds, attacking, plucking, etc...Everything is suggested, like the means used in famous films.
Purdey on her motorbike is more than sexy, she's a queen, she's not affraid of anything. Good performance.
I always jump on my bed when I saw her reacting, when she sees blood on her hand. :huh:

TARGET shows the perfect chemistry between Mike and Purdey, he's ready for everything and Purdey confirms her feelings for him : she says "I love...." but we don't hear the rest although we can read it on her mouth, but Gambit doesn't understand... :lmao:
I was amazed (10 years ago, when I saw it for the very first time) when Gambit jumps through the window ! :hypnose:

As you can see by my comments, as everyone can see by the series, THE NEW AVENGERS ROCK like FIRE !!!! ^^
Don't move or...I call the New Avengers rightaway !
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Aug 2009, 18:26

Re: Best episodes

Joris wrote:I'd suggest THE LAST OF CYBERNAUTS, CAT AMONGST THE PIGEONS and TARGET.

A sequel to the cybernauts ? Good job and excellent idea, Goff's introduction stays an entire mystery : why didn't they mention him in the first series ? Perhaps it was a way to show that there were still mysteries with the Emma Peel Era or perhaps it was due to the fact that they couldn't use references to the first series (due to copyrights, etc...)
I loved it, I was surprised when I watched it for the first time, when Kane goes to Purdey's apartment ! GOSH ! They destroy everything ! :lmao:

CATP rocks !
We never notice the birds, attacking, plucking, etc...Everything is suggested, like the means used in famous films.
Purdey on her motorbike is more than sexy, she's a queen, she's not affraid of anything. Good performance.
I always jump on my bed when I saw her reacting, when she sees blood on her hand. :huh:

TARGET shows the perfect chemistry between Mike and Purdey, he's ready for everything and Purdey confirms her feelings for him : she says "I love...." but we don't hear the rest although we can read it on her mouth, but Gambit doesn't understand... :lmao:
I was amazed (10 years ago, when I saw it for the very first time) when Gambit jumps through the window ! :hypnose:

As you can see by my comments, as everyone can see by the series, THE NEW AVENGERS ROCK like FIRE !!!! ^^


Goff was used because Frederick Jaeger, who played Benson in the original series, wasn't available, so they had to invent a new character. Copyright wasn't a problem, just no actor availavbility.

Gareth used to cut himself jumping through thosed windows. But I love Target because Gareth really gets to run aroud and show how fit and athletic he is. :hearteyes:
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred