Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Which episodes did you enjoy most?

<<

Joris

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 264

Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 18:48

Location: France

Post 03 Aug 2009, 18:38

Re: Best episodes

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Joris wrote:I'd suggest THE LAST OF CYBERNAUTS, CAT AMONGST THE PIGEONS and TARGET.

A sequel to the cybernauts ? Good job and excellent idea, Goff's introduction stays an entire mystery : why didn't they mention him in the first series ? Perhaps it was a way to show that there were still mysteries with the Emma Peel Era or perhaps it was due to the fact that they couldn't use references to the first series (due to copyrights, etc...)
I loved it, I was surprised when I watched it for the first time, when Kane goes to Purdey's apartment ! GOSH ! They destroy everything ! :lmao:

CATP rocks !
We never notice the birds, attacking, plucking, etc...Everything is suggested, like the means used in famous films.
Purdey on her motorbike is more than sexy, she's a queen, she's not affraid of anything. Good performance.
I always jump on my bed when I saw her reacting, when she sees blood on her hand. :huh:

TARGET shows the perfect chemistry between Mike and Purdey, he's ready for everything and Purdey confirms her feelings for him : she says "I love...." but we don't hear the rest although we can read it on her mouth, but Gambit doesn't understand... :lmao:
I was amazed (10 years ago, when I saw it for the very first time) when Gambit jumps through the window ! :hypnose:

As you can see by my comments, as everyone can see by the series, THE NEW AVENGERS ROCK like FIRE !!!! ^^


Goff was used because Frederick Jaeger, who played Benson in the original series, wasn't available, so they had to invent a new character. Copyright wasn't a problem, just no actor availavbility.

Gareth used to cut himself jumping through thosed windows. But I love Target because Gareth really gets to run aroud and show how fit and athletic he is. :hearteyes:



Thanks for your answer. ^^

You're a Garetholic ! haha
I imagine you watching with excitement the show.
You DO love him ! :lol:
It seems like a passion, we can feel it through your words.
Don't move or...I call the New Avengers rightaway !
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 04 Aug 2009, 00:22

Re: Best episodes

Joris wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Joris wrote:I'd suggest THE LAST OF CYBERNAUTS, CAT AMONGST THE PIGEONS and TARGET.

A sequel to the cybernauts ? Good job and excellent idea, Goff's introduction stays an entire mystery : why didn't they mention him in the first series ? Perhaps it was a way to show that there were still mysteries with the Emma Peel Era or perhaps it was due to the fact that they couldn't use references to the first series (due to copyrights, etc...)
I loved it, I was surprised when I watched it for the first time, when Kane goes to Purdey's apartment ! GOSH ! They destroy everything ! :lmao:

CATP rocks !
We never notice the birds, attacking, plucking, etc...Everything is suggested, like the means used in famous films.
Purdey on her motorbike is more than sexy, she's a queen, she's not affraid of anything. Good performance.
I always jump on my bed when I saw her reacting, when she sees blood on her hand. :huh:

TARGET shows the perfect chemistry between Mike and Purdey, he's ready for everything and Purdey confirms her feelings for him : she says "I love...." but we don't hear the rest although we can read it on her mouth, but Gambit doesn't understand... :lmao:
I was amazed (10 years ago, when I saw it for the very first time) when Gambit jumps through the window ! :hypnose:

As you can see by my comments, as everyone can see by the series, THE NEW AVENGERS ROCK like FIRE !!!! ^^


Goff was used because Frederick Jaeger, who played Benson in the original series, wasn't available, so they had to invent a new character. Copyright wasn't a problem, just no actor availavbility.

Gareth used to cut himself jumping through thosed windows. But I love Target because Gareth really gets to run aroud and show how fit and athletic he is. :hearteyes:



Thanks for your answer. ^^

You're a Garetholic ! haha
I imagine you watching with excitement the show.
You DO love him ! :lol:
It seems like a passion, we can feel it through your words.


Someone had to love Gareth/Gambit, because he got dumped on for so long. Now he gets a lot more respect, but I don't mind spreading the love. :whistle: But I love Joanna and Diana and the rest, too, of course (and many other British actors. I'm an Anglophile. I admit it). But I love the Avengers the most, and I have much too much trivia in my head. I have to let it out sometime. :lol: Anyway, what's a bunch of Joannaholics without some Gareth? :lol:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 04 Aug 2009, 08:49

Re: Best episodes

I agree. I will always be a Joannaholic first, but I've really developed a soft spot for Gareth. I really don't understand why he always got picked on, Gambit's a great character!
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 04 Aug 2009, 10:19

Re: Best episodes

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'm an Anglophile. I admit it.


I think it's safe to admit that on this forum, because probably a lot of us are. :wink:

I agree on the Gambit matter though - I thought he was an excellent character to balance Purdey and Steed a bit. The flirtatious relationship is just an essential part of the show, and it just worked so well between Joanna and Gareth... It just gives episodes like the Last of Cybernauts a little bit of an extra sprakle.
<<

Joris

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 264

Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 18:48

Location: France

Post 04 Aug 2009, 13:42

Re: Best episodes

You're quite right Timeless ! :thumb:


You're an Anglophile ! Same for me.
After having discovered the series, I fell in love with the UK ! :hearteyes: :grin: . It's so magic, full of bowler hated men (but it's over now :cry: , it represented this Good Old England), sport cars (Mrs Peel's Lotus ! :happy: ).
Anyway, I loved it at first sight and I absolutely don't regret that.

I even selected The Avengers this year, at college, when we had to introduce a major theme, emblematic one, which represented the UK.
Don't move or...I call the New Avengers rightaway !
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 05 Aug 2009, 02:04

Re: Best episodes

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'm an Anglophile. I admit it.


I think it's safe to admit that on this forum, because probably a lot of us are. :wink:

I agree on the Gambit matter though - I thought he was an excellent character to balance Purdey and Steed a bit. The flirtatious relationship is just an essential part of the show, and it just worked so well between Joanna and Gareth... It just gives episodes like the Last of Cybernauts a little bit of an extra sprakle.


Everyone seemed to think he was there to replace Steed, which was just wrong. He was mean to complement Steed,and to spark off Purdey (which he did wonderfully). They're very different characters.If it had been just Purdey and Steed it would have been horribly dull. :doubt: Gambit is really an essential TNA ingredient. Without him and Purdey the series loses a lot of its humour and bittersweetness.

I have to admit--I love Gambit more than Purdey. I root for underdogs. I think he's much more than just an action man--he's actually incredibly sweet, loyal, and vulnerable. I think it's the layers to Gambit that appealed to me when I first saw the show (and still make me want to write about him and Purdey to this day). He's generally better appreciated now, which is a good thing. ^^

And Joris, I salute you for gettign the Avengers into school. I used to do my web page projects on Avengers stuff if I could--never any shortage of material. :wink:
<<

Joris

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 264

Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 18:48

Location: France

Post 05 Aug 2009, 03:27

Re: Best episodes

Oh ! ^^ What an excellent answer Timeless, you spoke with your heart, definitely. I've got the same viewpoint than yours about Gambit, he's not a New Avengers just for fights or something else but for bringing something fresh and new to the show, and it really works.
I don't think we've got to go further, everybody here propably knows that. :happy:

And I don't want to hide that but...It's true when you say that stories would have been dull without Gambit, indeed. I adore the sequences when Purdey and him are alone, NA without Gambit ? That's impossible and out of mind !
Don't move or...I call the New Avengers rightaway !
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 05 Aug 2009, 11:07

Re: Best episodes

Oh, you're both so right... I find the Avengers and TNA actually rather different series, but I enjoy wathing both. It's just like with the ladies in fact: you shouldn't compare the four, because the characters they played are all so different.

Purdey wouldn't have worked out without Gambit I think: that typical Avengers relationship would have been inappropriate with Steed, but also because she and Gambit are more likely in some ways, I think. The flirtatious interaction brought an extra sparkle to the series, but also the more personal and vunerable sides of the characters. (that part goes so much further than they ever did with the previous series)

Gambit really is the underdog sometimes, which was a total shame. Although Purdey will always be my favorite of the three, I've grown rather fond of him too.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 05 Aug 2009, 17:51

Re: Best episodes

I found the Purdey/Steed relationship really lacking--too much of a retread with Tara King. I know everyone loved "Steed and the girl," and I'm one of them (Steed and Emma in particular) but in TNA I loved Steed when he was with Gambit more. It's great seeing him interact with another man for a change (we have so little of the Keel era to see him do this that it's almost like breaking new territory). SO both Gambit's relationships on the show are more interesting. WIth Gambit and Steed we get mild rivalry, the whole master/pupil thing, and the idea of two good male friends--old boys' club--who, at the end of the day, trust and respect one another. With Gambit and Purdey, we get probably one of the oddest relationships in Avengers history. Purdey's a bit mad--Gambit can hardly take it some days. Purdey puts him down and picks on him, but is the first to start weeping when she thinks he's dead. They work perfectly in sync, and have weird conversations about Walter Huston during car chases. But there's something inherently bittersweet about Purdey and Gambit, something that never infused any of the other relationships between Steed and the ladies. Because, quite frankly, I think Gambit wants to get serious with Purdey, but she's forever pushing him away. Why? Because of Larry. Because she's already had her heart broken once and she can't let herself be vulnerable again. And because she knows from experience that people don't live very long in their business (remember her father was shot as a spy). So Gambit keeps letting her know that she's there, and the ball's perpetually in Purdey's court. In any other circumstances, they probably would have ended up together from the get-go. As it is, they have to wait until Purdey lets herself love somebody. This is what Brian Clemens meant about "thicker cardboard." These people have emotions. Their hearts break. They cry. They worry about losing one another. And I think Gareth conveys that better than most people give him credit for. Gambit is the underdog, but he keeps going anyway. For Purdey. For Steed. And I think he was written beautifully.

Hey, I like TV characters. I think about this stuff. I'm a sucker for all the little relationships. I'll stop writing now. :lol:
<<

Joris

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 264

Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 18:48

Location: France

Post 05 Aug 2009, 23:15

Re: Best episodes

The relation between Purdey and Steed is like... having a father investigating with his daughter.
Gambit is needed, he correspond to Purdey's Era, to her time, he's young just like her, has the same sense of humour, Steed embodies the heart, the brain of their group due to his experience in the previous series.
Together they form the lion, the NA's symbol.

They can't be split away. :grin:
Don't move or...I call the New Avengers rightaway !
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 02 May 2010, 18:35

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

I thought it was about time I'd get my top five of favourite TNA episodes updated, so here we go.

1. Obsession, as it is the most Purdey-focused episode that was ever done and gives us great insight in the character.
2. Target, because it has this great built-up tension and the plot is one of the more realistic ones. It's also great for the stunts and action, generally one of my favourite Avengers episodes ever.
3. Faces, purely because it gave Joanna and Gareth the chance to step out of their characters and just have a bit of fun. Bonus points for the intercourse scene!
4. The Last of the Cybernauts, because it really has got the best scenes. From Gambit's bed to the joint party trick: great one! (and a classic themed Avengers episode)
5. Sleeper, another Purdey one. The mannequin is probably one of Joanna's most epic scenes ''in character'', plus the Steed/Gambit is really good in this one.

Others that deserve credit (but just didn't make it to my top 5): Dead Men Are Dangerous, Trap and Emily.
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 May 2010, 18:44

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

Tricky stuff... gonna have to think and get back to you!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 May 2010, 18:57

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

Mara wrote:I thought it was about time I'd get my top five of favourite TNA episodes updated, so here we go.

1. Obsession, as it is the most Purdey-focused episode that was ever done and gives us great insight in the character.
2. Target, because it has this great built-up tension and the plot is one of the more realistic ones. It's also great for the stunts and action, generally one of my favourite Avengers episodes ever.
3. Faces, purely because it gave Joanna and Gareth the chance to step out of their characters and just have a bit of fun. Bonus points for the intercourse scene!
4. The Last of the Cybernauts, because it really has got the best scenes. From Gambit's bed to the joint party trick: great one! (and a classic themed Avengers episode)
5. Sleeper, another Purdey one. The mannequin is probably one of Joanna's most epic scenes ''in character'', plus the Steed/Gambit is really good in this one.

Others that deserve credit (but just didn't make it to my top 5): Dead Men Are Dangerous, Trap and Emily.


Ooh, nice! I should update mine as well--I was looking at it and thinking I could maybe change it around a bit. I love how you've described Faces--the "intercourse scene." It sounds so wrong when you don't know the context. :lmao:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 02 May 2010, 19:00

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

Haha, it does sound work, perhaps I should warn TNA newbies? Don't be scared guys, it's only Gambit, eh Terry's mind wandering off. Nothing happens. (yet...) :brows:
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 May 2010, 19:15

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

ROFL as soon as I read that I knew it would be read 'like that.'

"In-ter-course." :wink:
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 May 2010, 19:44

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

Mara wrote:Haha, it does sound work, perhaps I should warn TNA newbies? Don't be scared guys, it's only Gambit, eh Terry's mind wandering off. Nothing happens. (yet...) :brows:


Nah, don't warn them. They'll figure it out on their own. :lmao: Good old Terry--just as hopeful as Gambit! :lolol:

Laura wrote:ROFL as soon as I read that I knew it would be read 'like that.'

"In-ter-course." :wink:


I love the way he says that. :lol: That and the way he rolls his r's in "rapport." Yay for Gambit! :grin:
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 May 2010, 19:46

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

Same here, I loved his accent!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 May 2010, 20:13

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

Laura wrote:Same here, I loved his accent!


It's great fun--I can't roll my r's, so when he did it I just about died. "Gareth can roll his r's!" :squee:
<<

Avengerdan

User avatar

Lumley Looney

Posts: 847

Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 10:29

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 May 2010, 21:26

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

My top 5 would be, in no particular order ...

Sleeper
Angels of Death
The Eagle's Nest
Target!
Faces
Image
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 02 May 2010, 21:30

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

That's interesting Dandy - can I just ask why you picked Angels of Death? Apart from the rare intimate scene between Purdey and Steed, this episode has never been much interest to me.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 May 2010, 21:52

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

Mara wrote:That's interesting Dandy - can I just ask why you picked Angels of Death? Apart from the rare intimate scene between Purdey and Steed, this episode has never been much interest to me.


Angels of Death is actually quite loved by fans, especially, it seems to me, people who were around to watch it when it was originally broadcast. I don't know why. Maybe something to do with the maze really stuck with people? We'll see what Dandy says.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 May 2010, 22:06

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

Thinking on it, mine are:

1. Faces--I think it just edges out Target, but I flip-flop from time to time. For the wonderful bits between Terry and "Lo" where Gareth and Joanna are clearly having fun, Steed and Gambit's shoot-off, Purdey as the Salvation Army lady going "Hey big spender," :lmao: Purdey angst when she thinks Gambit's dead, and Gambit milking it for all it's worth (even if he gets slammed into a door for it! :lol: ). And doppelgangers. I love anything with doppelgangers.

2. Target--Purdey/Gambit angst (the bit where Gambit's cradling her in the car has to be one of the best moments in the series. Gambit's heartbreaking in it), fantastic stunts, the doubles on the course, Steed and Gambit's friendly horse race (meaning we get to see them in riding gear :whistle: ), and a nailbiter of a climax. Great stuff.

3. Dirtier by the Dozen--And not just because Gambit fills the uniform out nicely. No, this is the best example of a Gambit episode we ever got, and Gareth does a great job with it. We get to see how he'd run things, really, and how well he and Purdey would function as a double-act if/when Steed leaves them to it. Great scenes, too, from Gambit's gradual slouch as he watches the films to Purdey's witty retorts when captured. But best of all is their run through the field, with Purdey letting Gambit take the lead and subtlely letting him know she trusts him, even though she was the one to help him out at first. You feel his fear and helplessness when she ends up caught in the minefield, and the finale with Purdey floating up into the sky is classic Avengers.

4. The Last of the Cybernauts..?--This one I always seem fond of, for whatever reason. Purdey tipping Gambit out of bed, the fight in the stairwell, the echoes of the original in everything from Gambit tsking about Purdey's less-than-positive view of Emma to the obligatory walk around the fallen Cybernaut. I'm not really a Cybernaut fan, but I like this one most of the three.

5. Forward Base--It just clicks with me. Swans! Argument from last Tuesday! Purdey and Gambit using psychological warfare to freak out the enemy agent, and watching him climb into the water afterwards, then trying to deicde who gets to tell the increasingly grouchy Steed about it. Also, the plot makes more sense than trying to break into Canadian security. Seriously, guys, it's not worth it. :lol:

But I easily could have substituted The Midas Touch/House of Cards/To Catch A Rat in there.
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 02 May 2010, 22:16

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

I see you didn't include Obsession your top five Timeless, and I'm must say I'm a bit suprised. Like you always say: it teaches us so much about Purdey and you've based so many fanfics on that plot I'd thought you'd value it more than some of the others. :wink:
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 May 2010, 22:32

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

I was surprized too! Poor Obsession!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 May 2010, 22:33

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

Mara wrote:I see you didn't include Obsession your top five Timeless, and I'm must say I'm a bit suprised. Like you always say: it teaches us so much about Purdey and you've based so many fanfics on that plot I'd thought you'd value it more than some of the others. :wink:


Obsession is one of those episodes, like Dead Men are Dangerous, that objectively I'd list as one of the top stories--it's a beautifully done character portrait, and it's incredibly brave in content for the show (an Avengers girl in an abusive relationship? Shocking. :hypnose: ). The scene at the end where Gambit shoots Larry, then grabs Purdey and holds her while she screams her lungs out, is incredibly powerful, and the end, where Purdey simply walks away, is profoundly sad. We even get Gambit being protective of her. So I'd say it's one of the best episodes of the series. But my favourite episodes of anything are always the ones that are laced with humour and have fun little character scenes. I like stuff I can relax and smile at. Obsession is too dark and grim for me to want to watch it as often as something that makes me feel good. I adore it for fic reasons, and for explaining Purdey so well. It's influenced my arc hugely. It's a masterpiece, but it's a dark one. So I can't say it's a favourite when it leaves me feeling as all the breath has been knocked out of me.
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred