Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Which episodes did you enjoy most?

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 12 Nov 2008, 17:36

Best episodes

I suppose quite a lot of us watched Jo in the Avengers, so I was wondering: what do you all consider as the best (or your favorite) episode?

One of them is Target for me. I love the action that's going on, and the ending is just really sweet.. :wub:

What do you all think?
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 12 Nov 2008, 17:38

Re: Best episodes

Some more screencaps from the best scenes:

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Nov 2008, 23:05

Target is definitely one of my favourites, perhaps it's even my alltime favourite!
The Eagle's Nest is fantastic too, a fantastic pilot and it makes you curious about what's gonna come next.
Though I think series 2 is the 'weaker' series, it still has one of my favourite episodes: Obsession!

Oh and thanks for the fabulous screen caps :wub:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Nov 2008, 12:18

Thanks - I might do some more caps later..

Philippa wrote:The Eagle's Nest is fantastic too, a fantastic pilot and it makes you curious about what's gonna come next.

You're right about the 'pilot-thing' but I don't really liked Eagle's Nest as an episode.. Somehow, I really liked 'The Last of the Cybernauts', their last fight is just brilliant. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Nov 2008, 16:11

If you like 'Last of the Cybernauts', you'll love the Emma Peel episodes 'The Cybernauts' and 'Return of the Cybernauts' too.

And I am in love with your avatar :wub: :heart:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Nov 2008, 17:28

Philippa wrote:If you like 'Last of the Cybernauts', you'll love the Emma Peel episodes 'The Cybernauts' and 'Return of the Cybernauts' too.

I'm affraid it's harder to get those.. I'll just go and check Youtube, thanks!

Philippa wrote:And I am in love with your avatar :heart:

Haha, me too. She's quite sexy when she smokes, don't you think? :wub:
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Nov 2008, 19:28

Charm wrote:
Philippa wrote:If you like 'Last of the Cybernauts', you'll love the Emma Peel episodes 'The Cybernauts' and 'Return of the Cybernauts' too.

I'm affraid it's harder to get those.. I'll just go and check Youtube, thanks!

Philippa wrote:And I am in love with your avatar :heart:

Haha, me too. She's quite sexy when she smokes, don't you think? :wub:

Very schmexy :heart:
How did you make your avatar?
And I can upload those episodes for you, I've got all the Emma Peel episodes.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Nov 2008, 20:37

Philippa wrote:How did you make your avatar?

It's an animation (gif file) I made out of a few screencaps from The Story of AbFab. There are various sites where you can create your own: just upload the pictures, select the right size and speed and that's all. I dunno if you've seen the one on the JS forum too? That's one I made out of my own vids on Youtube. Try this link if you wanna make one yourself.. ;)

Philippa wrote:And I can upload those episodes for you, I've got all the Emma Peel episodes.

Fabulous! Could you please upload the episodes you mentioned above? I don't want you to do the whole bunch, that would cost far too much time.. ;) :hug:
<<

Don'tQuestionMe

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 16 Nov 2008, 16:29

And I am in love with your avatar :wub: :heart:

*sighbernorts hihihihihiihihihih ^^
- Emma! Look! I've got etheric beam locators!

- No, Doctor, I'm afraid those are actual breasts.

- Are you sure? I think I can see the 'on' switch.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 22 Dec 2008, 23:47

Some other favorite of mine, Obsession.. It's such a sad story though.. :cry:

Anyway - I was watching it lately, and I noticed this:

I think they used an actual modelling picture of Joanna here, it's beautiful!
Last edited by Mara on 23 Dec 2008, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 23 Dec 2008, 18:11

They used several modelling shots in that stack, I believe. Easier and more authentic-looking shots of her young than some pretend ones shot in that awful wig they gave her for the 1970 scenes.

Obsession is a brilliant episode, a real example of the "thicker cardboard" Brian Clemens was trying for. I remember how shocked I was to see an Avengers girl slapped by someone who wasn't a baddie. It links up nicely with House of Cards, when Perov hits her and she gets so angry she knocks him out with one punch.

Gambit's also great in that one, even though he gets pushed to the side for the most part. Even though Purdey won't tell him a thing, he knows something went badly wrong with Larry, and the way he quietly lets Larry know that he's watching is brilliant--calm threats are always more effective. And it's somehow ironic but fitting that Gambit is the one to snuff out Purdey's last serious love. Larry actually was lucky--if Purdey had told Gambit what he did to her and why she left him, I don't think Mike would have stuck to quiet threats (ouch!).

Looking back, this one pretty much explains why Purdey is so leery of getting into another relationship (particularly with someone in the business, like Gambit, when she's already lost her father to the spy game).

You can tell I've put a lot of thought into this one, can't you? :D Well, those two post-Obsession fics didn't write themselves!

But where was the angsty Gambit episode? We never got one.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 07 Jan 2009, 09:29

Extraordinary how much thought you spent on this thing.. Obsession is certainly one of the more complexer episodes cos it's completely based on Purdey's private life, and that makes it far more interesting.. I think you have to know the full series to understand this episodes, the relationship he has with the other two and the way she is. This episode almost deserves its own thread, doesn't it?

But you're right - we never got the angsty Gambit episode, it's always the girl. Shame, I'd have loved to see that, even though it might have been a little bit too much for the second series..

Another one I quite like is the final Emily episode, the car with the bowler had, Purdey's trip down the car wash, Gambit's fight with the drunken lad: it does make me laugh.. The whole set-up is more amusing, and I wouldn't say it's typical Avengers stuff, but it's a great episode I think..
<<

Philippa

Post 07 Jan 2009, 10:43

Yes I actually quite liked 'Emily' as well, but people are very divided when it comes to this episode.
Some love it, and think it's hilarious. And others think it's awful, far too silly, and completely un-avengerish.
And even though I like it, it is true that it is a bit over the top, and that's what many people don't like about this episode.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Jan 2009, 01:04

Charm wrote:Extraordinary how much thought you spent on this thing.. Obsession is certainly one of the more complexer episodes cos it's completely based on Purdey's private life, and that makes it far more interesting.. I think you have to know the full series to understand this episodes, the relationship he has with the other two and the way she is. This episode almost deserves its own thread, doesn't it?

But you're right - we never got the angsty Gambit episode, it's always the girl. Shame, I'd have loved to see that, even though it might have been a little bit too much for the second series..

Another one I quite like is the final Emily episode, the car with the bowler had, Purdey's trip down the car wash, Gambit's fight with the drunken lad: it does make me laugh.. The whole set-up is more amusing, and I wouldn't say it's typical Avengers stuff, but it's a great episode I think..

"Obsession" is brilliant in a bleak way. It really is a character study, because we see how Purdey evolved from being quite innocent and dreamy to a capable sharp-tongued agent, who tends to dance a little too close to the edge. I think after Purdey lost her father a few years before she really wanted someone to hang onto, and feel safe with. When that didn't pan out, she threw in the towel for fear of beign hurt again, and I think that informs her entire relationship with Steed and Gambit. WIth Steed there's a touch of hero-worship, but I also think she knows at some level that he's not going to pursue any of her flirtations, so he's "safe ground" (Steed always seems a bit leery about getting involved with Purdey, so I don't tend to think they had something going on). Gambit, however, obviously wants to go ahead, so she has to quash him at every opportunity, all the while trying to sabotage his own love life. Ironically, I think if Purdey just told Gambit what happened--that she was in a serious relationship that fell apart, and turned abusive--I think he'd understand why she's so reluctant and help her work through it. But she tells Steed instead, leaving poor Mike in the dark the whole episode, and at a loss by the end when he has to kill Larry. Like I said, I've sketched all this out in my mind for fanfic! But this episode could probably use it's own thread, definitely, and we could go on.

"Emily" is one of those weird ones like "Epic" in the original series. You have to be in the right mood for it. When I first saw it, I thought it was great fun. As long as you take it as it is, it's an entertaining romp, and we get some fun bits (Purdey and the car wash, Steed and the eggs, Gambit getting accused of wrecking the car. Oh, and Steed and Gambit dragging Purdey away from the burning wreckage, and just about pulling off her sweater. Whoops!). I'm Canadian, too, so the ones in Canada mean more for me (although I have to cringe at the stereotypes. We don't all wear plaid and live in the sticks! :lol: ) My favourite one in Canada is "Forward Base." Purdey, Gambit, and a giant swan. And the meaningful argument from last Tuesday. A fanfic writer's dream.

Anyone else here like "Dirtier by the Dozen" (and not just for Gambit in his uniform, although that's the main thing. :claps: )
<<

Philippa

Post 24 Jan 2009, 17:43

Maartje darling, all your screencaps have gone. Have you moved them to another place in your Photobucket account?

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 24 Jan 2009, 18:40

Philippa wrote:Maartje darling, all your screencaps have gone. Have you moved them to another place in your Photobucket account?

New Photobucket account it is - the other one was more than three years old, and full of stuff I never use anymore.. But I'm affraid I don't have the files anymore, so I'll have to redo the caps. That's not much of a problem at all though, just good excuse for watching some TNA! :mrgreen:
<<

Philippa

Post 24 Jan 2009, 19:26

^Always a good excuse to watch some more episodes :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 27 Feb 2009, 23:18

Dead Men Are Dangerous, anyone? I'm watching this episode at the moment, not much Purdey involved, but this is defo one of the better episodes.
<<

Philippa

Post 27 Feb 2009, 23:21

Definitely a good episode. One of the best series 2 episodes in my opinion.
I haven't watched TNA in a while, I really need to catch up because I've forgotten some of the episodes completely :blush:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 27 Feb 2009, 23:23

Philippa wrote:I haven't watched TNA in a while, I really need to catch up because I've forgotten some of the episodes completely :blush:

Oh I know, catching up is exactly what I'm doing at the moment, but only the episodes I like best. :tongue: (haven't got time the watch the whole bunch unfortunately)

Hm, might do some more caps of this episode later...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Feb 2009, 00:59

I really should watch some Avengers/TNA again. It's been so long. I've been so wrapped up in other shows and busy. Dead Men was my very first TNA. I remember watching Gambit fall off that car and thinking "If this guy keeps that up he's not going to live very long." Little did I know. :d I love his scenes with Penny the schoolteacher (the lovely Gabrielle Drake). Definitely the best of his conquests. If it weren't for Purdey, she'd be my next choice.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Feb 2009, 01:06

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love his scenes with Penny the schoolteacher (the lovely Gabrielle Drake). Definitely the best of his conquests. If it weren't for Purdey, she'd be my next choice.

Haha, I knew you would mention that scene! I quite liked the sight (excuse-moi) but I felt somehow sorry for Purdey a the same time.. :lol:

Ah well, I supposed he realised soon afterwards that he was wrong anyway, I must say his attempt to safe her was quite impressive. (and probably painful)
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Feb 2009, 01:07

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I really should watch some Avengers/TNA again. It's been so long.

Neither have I. I've just watched the first 10 minutes of Hostage, but after that my roommate came home and we started talking, so now I've abandoned the episode again.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Feb 2009, 01:11

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love his scenes with Penny the schoolteacher (the lovely Gabrielle Drake). Definitely the best of his conquests. If it weren't for Purdey, she'd be my next choice.

Haha, I knew you would mention that scene! I quite liked the sight (excuse-moi) but I felt somehow sorry for Purdey a the same time.. :lol:

Ah well, I supposed he realised soon afterwards that he was wrong anyway, I must say his attempt to safe her was quite impressive. (and probably painful)

You mean shirtless Gambit tending to his wounds? Yes, I'm partial to that myself... :drool: Er, yes. Well, it's Purdey's own fault. What more does Gambit have to do? Hit her over the head? :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Feb 2009, 01:16

Timeless A-Peel wrote:You mean shirtless Gambit tending to his wounds? Yes, I'm partial to that myself... :drool:

That's the one I had in mind, yes. :whistle:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Well, it's Purdey's own fault. What more does Gambit have to do? Hit her over the head?

Well, if only he would do that.. :lol: (that could have been the 'little push' she needed!)
Next

Return to The New Avengers