Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Your story... of Joanna!

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 31 Dec 2010, 14:35

Your story... of Joanna!

How did you find out about her and how?

I don't think I know all your stories so it would be lovely to read them all! I'll definitely write down mine soon... only it is a bit of a long read. :lol:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 Jan 2011, 23:09

Re: Your story... of Joanna!

I watched the NYC episode of Ab Fab last Christmas, found it hilarious so watched the whole series on YT. Loved it, so watched more of her work. But of course, knew about her stirling work in the Gurkha campaign, and knew about her profile many years before.
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Jan 2011, 14:40

Mine's a bit of a long story as well. Got a splitting headache at the moment, so I'll write it down (again) some other time ^^

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jan 2011, 16:21

I very vaguely remember watching her on Coronation Street and her small parts in Steptoe & Son and Are You Being Served. I found the Corrie part a bore, but I found Corrie boring anyway. I was about 13 and just watched what my parents watched. Then I remember seeing her on The Cuckoo Waltz and little bits like Call My Bluff.

She didn't leave much of an impression on me, but that was only because until Purdey she wasn't in anything of interest. But I remember I thought she was pretty (not especially sexy) and quite posh.

I took more of an interest when it was announced that she was going to be Steed's new girl - either Gambit hadn't been cast or I hadn't noticed there was going to be three. I think (think!) the headline was 'The Blonde Avenger' or 'Steed's new Avenger girl is a blonde', or something like that.

Later there was that famous TV Times pic with Joanna crocheting on the bed with a pic of Michael Kitchen on the wall. and her hair dark and quite curly And I thought, "I hope she's not going to look like THAT!" :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jan 2011, 17:37

Avengerdan wrote:Later there was that famous TV Times pic with Joanna crocheting on the bed with a pic of Michael Kitchen on the wall. and her hair dark and quite curly And I thought, "I hope she's not going to look like THAT!" :wink:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r192 ... 0001-1.jpg

That would have been bad. :lol: I think it's even worse than that bad wig they out her in for those flashbacks in Obsession.

The first time I knew about Joanna in any capacity was during the original run of AbFab, back in the mid-nineties, because my mother would watch an episode on occasion. I didn't really know who she was or probably even her name. All I remember is walking through the living room and seeing that scene in one of the specials where she gets stuck on the chairlift, probably because I skied a lot then, and when you're eight getting stuck up there is a real worry. :lmao:

After I got into the Avengers in 1998, I was aware of her in the broadest sense as one of the Avengers girls. I remember she interviewed the Royals once and it was in the paper, and I saw a brief snippet of In the Kingdom of the Thunder Dragon on TV, but in both cases I didn't pay much attention because I'd only seen the Emma episodes, an a couple of Taras, and for me it was Emma or nothing. Besides, TNA was getting such a kicking then I was convinced there was nothing really worth seeing.

The first time I properly saw her, then, would be the summer of 2001, when I started watching TNA with zero expectations. I went in focussing on Steed, because he was familiar at least. I got into Gambit pretty fast, in no small part because I was at just the right age to, uh, "appreciate" him. :brows: But I'll be honest with you--I wasn't big on Purdey. Over the years I've come to understand and appreciate the mad, complicated character she is. But young Timeless thought she was a bit shrewish and bitchy, and toyed with poor Gambit's heart more than was really necessary (well, she is guilty of that last bit sometimes, you have to admit). :lmao:

Since then I've come to love Purdey in TNA, and in 2005 I rented a whole whack of AbFab from the school's library. I think I saw Class Act the next year, and just loved it. That was the first show I actually sought out because it had Joanna in it, I think. There have been a lot of shows and movies and documentaries since then--2005 was the year I started branching off from the Avengers and into the Great British TV Database. Still picking things up--it was Sapphire and Steel this past year. We'll see what I give a look in 2011. :happy:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 02 Jan 2011, 18:56

I really love reading all of you stories guys, it's really great!

I'm another of those fans who first noticed her on AbFab, haha. I had just discovered French & Saunders and I was really bonkers for Jennifer back then so naturally I started watching AbFab too. I didn't really understand it at first and I didn't like the humour either. (what was I thinking at the time?!) Nevertheless, a couple of months later I gave in and gave it a second chance. Then I came to the point where I started paying attention to other cast members besides Jennifer and I started loving Patsy.

I'm not really sure what exactly I watched after that - I just looked up her name on Youtube and watched various interviews and I immediately liked Jo as a person. Her charm, her great sense of humor and the amount of self-mockery I was amazed by. I think Sensitive Skin was the first proper series I watched her in after AbFab and I remember being so surprised because her acting was so very different from what I had seen her do on AbFab. I think that's when I signed up here too and the rest is history! :wink:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Jan 2011, 20:13

Thanks for sharing all your stories so far, it's pretty interesting. Since I came into the forum a bit later than you all I really didn't read any old post, so most of this is new to me. :wave:

Now I guess it's my turn. Well, to be honest, I became a Joanna fan through Julia Sawalha. My colleague and I bought the DVDs of "Lark Rise to Candleford" and we loved the show. Then I thought I wanted to see what Julia had also done and of courseI couldn't get around AbFab. Luckily a friend of mine (who was a French & Saunders fan) lent me her DVDs of AbFab so that I could watch them. I found it a bit strange at first but I pretty soon fell in love with Patsy and thought I had to find out more about the lady who played her. I started to search the internet, found this forum and that's pretty much it! You all gave me so many hints of what to watch and due to the download section I was able to watch stuff I would never been able to see at all. I absorbed it all and the rest is pretty much history. I especially love her documentaries since you see a part of the real Jo there and then of course the interviews. What can I say - what a lady. And ever since I met her in London she confirmed the picture I had in my head of her being the kind and lovely lady I thought she would be. :hearteyes:
That's pretty much it I think. :wink:
*Listen to the song of life*

Return to Joanna discussion